Mister (2007)

Year of Launch2007

HouseJasper Conran
Parent CompanyEuropean Designer Productions

About Mister

Mister is a masculine fragrance by Jasper Conran. The scent was launched in 2007

Reviews of Mister

drseid Show all reviews
Mister opens with a slightly bitter vermouth-like wormwood. As the composition quickly moves to its early heart, a moderately sweet tonka bean infused soft, deep pipe-tobacco-like patchouli takes the fore as star with a controlled vague synthetic woody undertone. During the late dry-down, the pipe tobacco-like patchouli nearly vacates, as an amber-like soft musk takes over as primary star with underlying natural smelling vague dry woods as co-star through the finish. Projection is slightly above average and longevity average at 8-9 hours on skin.

What a pleasant surprise Mister is. The composition was released in 2007, but after sniffing it I would have sworn it was out of the late 80s or perhaps early 90s. It is extremely rare for a designer release from relative present day to feature patchouli in such a prominent starring role, but that is exactly what Mister does. Equally impressive is the extremely deft use of norlimbanol by the perfumer to approximate a vague woody undertone as support for the deep pipe tobacco-like tonka bean sweetened patchouli. I know I have derided the ingredient's use in my last couple reviews and many times previously, but in Mister it just works. It takes some serious skill to tamp down the woody synthetics to get just the right balance with the patchouli, and in Mister the unfortunately undisclosed perfumer wholly succeeds where so many others have miserably failed. Also successful is the perfect level of tonka bean derived sweetness that infuses the soft, pipe tobacco-like aromatic patchouli. Up through this point there are a lot of similarities to the much later released Patchouli Absolu by Tom Ford for his exclusive Private Blend line, but Mister smells superior to my nose. Unfortunately, the late dry-down is not as interesting as the open and mid-section, turning into a somewhat mundane though highly competent dry natural woody affair with an amber-like soft musk facet. It was probably too much to ask for the late dry-down to be as good as the first two thirds of the composition's development, but at the end of the day, praising Mister is quite easy, as the perfumer generally has brought the end of the great 80's to the next millennium in fine fashion. The bottom line is the discontinued $99 per 100ml bottle on the aftermarket Mister is a fine, risky example of a relatively recent mainstream designer release with heart, created by a perfumer with serious skill, earning an "excellent" 4 stars out of 5 rating and a very strong recommendation to both soft patchouli composition lovers and/or folks who enjoyed Tom Ford's Patchouli Absolu but balked at its price or found its synthetic woods a bit too much.
15th June, 2015
Im actually wearing this right now and I love it ! I agree its a very distinguished scent I love the boozy scent from this and the drydown is fantastic - great longevity as well and this is definately one of my favourites

09th October, 2009
This one definitely has a retro vibe to it. It is fairly interesting and unique scent, actually. It is also very complex with lots of development and different kind of phases.

Starts out with very strong mixture of patchouli together with cold, fresh greens (herbs).

The basic smell (that phase that lasts longer and creates an actual theme to this scent) reminds me very much of YSL`s Jazz (Prestige) that decided to turn Chypre.
Dry waxy geraniums together with sturdy tobacco-woody undertone.

The late hours of drydown creates a surprisingly sweet and warm ambery smell that reminds me of the base of some proper oriental fragrance. It almost has a vanillic feel to it at this moment.

I have worn this twice from a sample and although I think itís very interesting, for some mysterious reason I didnít feel that it would fit my personal desires after all.

Still, recommend for any men to try. And the presentation of this scent is very neat if you ask me.
30th July, 2009
HDS1963 Show all reviews
The official notes for this are: pelargonium, basil, Artemisia, tonka, patchouli, timber, musk and tobacco. When I first encountered Mister by Jasper Conran I didn't like it. But there was something about it that fascinated me and kept pulling me back. It is now a FB purchase and on regular rotation with me.

I absolutely love it actually. It's very male and has an amazing and unusual drydown which makes for compulsive sniffing. It has a boozy sweet-but-bitter opening which I really like, which smooths out with a vaguely floral yet still boozy drydown rich in patchouli and tobacco. It also has fantastic longevity and projection. Not many other fragrances smell like this. Considering the prices you can buy this for in many High St and discount retailers, it represents a bargain if you ask me for a really great fragrance which if you blind tested it you would swear was from a more prestigious niche house.

I don't get the disinfectant accord someone else noted.

I think it smells distinctive, elegant and classy. Recommended.
19th June, 2009
Opens up like L'Anarchiste minus the "ashtray" accord that a few mention. Very fruity and has tonka bean in the drydown. When I read the name and designer I thought that it would be a discontinued 80's type of scent from an unheardof (by me) designer. Seeing that it's a more recent release I feel that it's a retro style scent. The tonka bean and a wood accord is a huge player in this overall gentleman's cologne.
05th April, 2009
It was cheap so I gave it a to say it's a bit of an aquired taste this one and although I do agree that initially it's a bit 'disinfectiny' and almost stripped the lining of my nose on the first smelling....I, kinda like it.It gradually settles down quite nice on me and reminds me a lot of tumulte,although mister is definitely the more potent.
16th October, 2008

Add your review of Mister

Shop for Mister products online

Search Amazon for Mister

Member images of Mister

There are no member images of Mister yet. Why not be the first?