Private Collection - Bois de Copaiba
    by Parfumerie Generale

Shop for Private Collection - Bois de Copaiba products online

Reviews of Private Collection - Bois de Copaiba

Showing 1 to 6 of 8 reviews.

Darvant's avatar
    Darvant

At the beginning you are invested by a delicious and almost boozy amaretto explosion, something at once boozy, almondy, spicy/fruity and balmy conjuring on the olfactory sphere the taste of the famous Italian liqueur Amaretto, something luxurious and vaguely baroque with hints of secretly aromatic, almost minty patterns yet rising up from the composition. The juice is carnal and yes, i would say exotic in the sense of lush and sumptuous. I detect an accord of cinnamon and orange in the mix while probably the ginger is responsible of the aromatic/cool vibe. I guess a touch of amber is hidden somewhere and it is something well linked with a smokey, creamy, seasoned and damp woodiness in the base. The dry down preserves the standout balmy/almondy/eliothropic vibe becoming along the way more white/musky and powdery (musk/myrrh) with vague reminiscences about fragrances as Phul-Nana Grossmith and Ambre et Vanille E.Coudray.

02 March, 2013

Kaern's avatar
    Kaern

I think the PG is correct. This smells like L'Heure Bleu with benzoin and myrrh added. I don't get much leather at all. It has a rich, resinous , dense fruity smell that PG has used before to such good effect with Louanges. Distinctive, classy and lasts well.

01st November, 2012

Sunsetspawn's avatar
    Sunsetspawn

This entire composition is dominated by one of the notes from Creed's Royal English Leather, which ultimately weakens the fragrance. Beneath that it's a fruity, soapy, leather with a solid helping of some type of wood. I honestly didn't recognize this wood at all, but a little google-fu regarding the word "Copaiba" helped me out a bit as to what it was.

go ahead, I'll wait...

Irrespective of what the wood is, it smells like a quality piece of furniture. And now that I've googled Copaiba I understand that this could be because a resin is harvested from the tree and used as varnish. Of course now I'm just speculating and pontificating and I'm sure I look like an ass doing so to any botanists reading this. And there's also a bit of a cereal note in there too.

Anyway, it's that damn REL note that keeps me from loving this.

23 November, 2011

Amit's avatar
    Amit
    India India

Amazingly rich and full bodied orange, smells very "expensive" thanks to the superbly balmy and resinous woods that backs the composition. The opening is decidedly citrussy with gingery undertones that seem to fan the orange into a live and breathing accord that smells very "crushed and pulpy", simply put -- it's just perfect. The sweet Myrrh appears midway into application, warming up the entire palette of notes and accords until it dries down to a woody musky and the tiniest bit powdery, and in my opinion a rather quixotic whisper of a drydown.

30th June, 2009

Sybarite's avatar
    Sybarite

I'm a guy and find it wearable. So would say that it's correctly labeled as a unisex scent. However, I can also understand where some men might not be too comfortable doing so, as it leans heavily toward the feminine at the start. Then slowly becomes more "virile" towards the heart and drydown. Yet always remains sensual and intoxicating. Bois de Copaiba opens with a blast of sweet and totally delicious accord. A crystalised orange pulp accord but never "reads" as citrusy, at all. This is probably because of the added spicy ginger and boozy, almondy amaretto notes. This combination is very heady and almost has the same quality as the gorgeous whiffs from night blooming flowers, one gets wafting in the breeze, when out walking in the early evening in the tropics. It is a rich and opulent scent, almost reminiscent of a touch of honeysuckle. ... Then it gets even better when the sensual balsamic warmth of the Copahu resin slightly darkening the heart of the fragrance. On my skin this scent lasts and lasts, and by the time I get to the maginficent drydown, I'm in ecstacy. The Opoponax (sweet myrrh) rears it's head, lying amongst a creamy bed of Sandalwood and Mahogany woods. The whole scent has the real "feel" of a classic scent from a bygone age. Pierre Guillaume does it once again. For me, there are no duds amongst his entire, perfect collection. Every single one is worthy of investigation, at very least.

25 February, 2009

purplebird7's avatar
    purplebird7

Interesting, it comes off as kind of a gourmand to me, not much about leather. This smells strongly of candied fruit. It is listed as orange, but it's more like marachino cherry. Plus, I get a strong, sweet amaretto accord, that is even a bit boozy.

24 October, 2008