Eau de Protection / Rossy de Palma (2007)
by Etat Libre d'Orange

Eau de Protection / Rossy de Palma information

Year of Launch2007

HouseEtat Libre d'Orange
PerfumerAntoine Lie
PerfumerAntoine Maisondieu

About Eau de Protection / Rossy de Palma

Created in collaboration with actress Rossy de Palma.

Eau de Protection / Rossy de Palma fragrance notes

Reviews of Eau de Protection / Rossy de Palma

For reasons unknown, this reminds me of Aromatics Elixir underlaid with some kind of fecally-musk. By rights, as an animalic and strange-scent lover, I should probably enjoy this, but it's a bit too prickly for me, overall. The geranium and ginger and pepper send it over an edge too far for me.
12th April, 2018
Just when you think you've smelled every variation of rose, this comes along - a brilliant, blood red rose. The perfumer used a clever mix of dark notes to make the rose note ooze sultriness. Naughty and genius.
30th December, 2017
A sultry, Gothic, spicy Spanish Rose!

Etat Libre d'Orange are usually known for making "shocking" or "unconventional" fragrances, they have also made fragrances inspired by "unconventional" celebrities (like British actress Tilda Swinton). Eau de Protection was their first celebrity inspired fragrance. They took inspiration from "unconventional looking" Spanish actress Rossy de Palma.

This is a spicy rose fragrance! Roses are the favourite flower of actress Rossy de Palma (whose name also means "Rose"), and her garden in Madrid is full of roses. I really think in this case Etat Libre d'Orange have created something very beautiful and alluring with this one.

The fragrance opens up with notes of sour bergamot & spicy ginger (with some fiery black pepper), but they are quickly overtaken by this beautiful, rich, dark syrupy, almost candied rose... absolutely beautiful. At it's heart this is a Rose-Patchouli combination fragrance, but unlike other similar examples out there, this one feels very "emotional", like the rose is being passionate and sensual. Both Rossy de Palma and Etat Libre d'Orange describe this as a "bleeding" rose, and I do get that. To my nose, the rose is paired with a slightly metallic geranium note... and geranium is so multi-faceted that it can sometimes smell like roses, sometimes like lemons, and sometimes like cloves etc. I think this aspect combined with the rose gives it a lush, full-bodied aroma (and the slight impression of blood, etc).

However, this is an extremely wearable fragrance, either by men or by women, although I find this would really shine on a woman's skin. This is a fantastic fragrance from the house of Etat Libre d'Orange and one that, if you are a rose lover, you should definitely check out! A dangerous, sexy, spicy Spanish rose!
05th August, 2016
Opens odd! I suppose that's the blood note but it's not as metallic as blood - more a somewhat fecal/candied attraction and repulsion that has me debating whether to wash it off. Softens to a slightly green rose, keeping a tinge of a strange sweet\tart almost fruity overlay - almost makes me think of gooseberries. An interesting ride.
25th September, 2014
I have been testing quite a few rose-focused perfumes recently, so I thought I knew exactly where this one was going when I put it on. Boy, was I was wrong. This took me on a wild ride that I totally wasn't expecting. It is an exhilarating thing, to be surprised by a perfume so late in the game. It is all too easy to get bogged down in testing samples, isn't it? Notes start to run into each other, your senses become dulled to innovation, you start to miss the woods for the trees, your nose grows wearied. Well, this one right here is my palate cleanser.

The opening is uncomfortable and scratchy-feeling, teeming with enough ginger, pepper, and geranium to make you wince. At this stage, like I said, I thought I knew what kind of rose this was going to be - the kind of citric-edged, dry, greeny-sharp rose you get in Perles de lalique or Une Rose Chypree - and I steeled my girders. It's not that I don't appreciate this kind of rose, but I have to be in the right sort of mood for all those sharp angles and high-pitched tones.

Half an hour later, I was startled when I began to smell a sort of dirty musk-patch-amber aroma rising up off my wrists. I know that musk is not listed anywhere for this scent, so I can't explain it, but I was definitely experiencing a delicious underpinning of something musky, like ambrette mixed with patch. God, it was lovely. It reminded me of, dare I say it, the late dry down of Muscs Khoublai Khan, when the deep funkiness mixes with the sugared rose. Except it wasn't as dirty as MKK really, more like the clean-dirtiness in Kiehl's Musk. Now, I know there's no musk listed here at all, so it must have been a personal skin chemistry thing. But as a lover of all things musky-patchy-ambery, I was delighted to have this occur on my skin.

This phase lasted only a while on my skin until a true, bright red rose began to emerge. This phase sometimes felt fruity-rosy, sometimes winey-rosey, but definitely brighter than the rose in Voleur de Roses, where it is swallowed up by the patchouli. The patchouli here takes a backseat to the incensy woods supporting the rose note here. Towards the far dry down, I felt the scent dip back into the musky territory and then lurch forwards again into a tart rose accent. The whole ride, which takes place over a very impressive ten hours on my skin, never once feels comfortable or predictable. Bravo you weird, wonderful people at Etat Libre d'Orange! This is as truly jolie-laide as Signora Rossy de Palma herself.

02nd July, 2014
As so often happens with me with rose scents, the rose dominates the accords to such an extent that I can smell very little else. The rose note of Rossy de Palma is a good one… forceful but not overwhelming. I get a background ginger note in the opening, along with some aromatics from the geranium already speaking up from the middle level. There’s also some resinous incense in the background. I entirely miss the opening’s “blood note,” and, as usual for me, there is only a miniscule pepper note. Because of the strength of the rose in the opening, I’m surprised that I enjoy it – rose is not usually my favorite. When the middle level is in full swing, the cocoa and incense (with the base’s patchouli) have brought the exuberance of the rose into a beautifully refined and dignified accord… This rose-in-an-accord aspect holds quite nicely for the remainder of the fragrance. In the opening, the sillage is about what one would expect for a rose fragrance, but it gradually lightens up to end in a truly translucent rose / patchouli base. Longevity is good. Hmmm… Rossy de Palma has become probably my favorite rose scent (I’ll have to revisit my past “favorites” to compare).
31st January, 2014 (last edited: 22nd February, 2014)

Add your review of Eau de Protection / Rossy de Palma

Shop for Eau de Protection / Rossy de Palma products online

Oops! Unable to talk to eBay. Let us know if this problem persists

Member images of Eau de Protection / Rossy de Palma

There are no member images of Eau de Protection / Rossy de Palma yet. Why not be the first?