8 88 (2007)

AvailabilityIn Production / Limited Edition

HouseComme des Garçons
PerfumerAntoine Lie

About 8 88

8 88 is a shared / unisex perfume by Comme des Garçons. The scent was launched in 2007 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Antoine Lie

Reviews of 8 88

I was expecting anything but not this powderbomb that a spray of this tuned into. If I was told this would be Love's Baby Soft Powder Edition, I would think "Oh, yes ... wow. Each to their own, I guess!"
Coming from CdG this smell surprises me, as I find it very, very, very conventional.
Alas, i don't like it, but lovers of baby powder scents could find a new holy grail here. The sillage is quite heavy.
Still: weird!
09th May, 2018
metallic gold smell, pretty artificial but nice... a must have for all this house's hardcore fans!
03rd March, 2017
My personal bias dictates 888 is hideously offensive, nauseatingly rich and cloying, and smells like an 80 year old woman. It may be interpreted as smelling like "gold," IF you hate gold, and the aforementioned "gold" has a tendency bludgeon and suffocate you when in its presence.
Trying to be (more) objective, it smells like loudly amplified and obtusely generic floral, and synthetic saffron (neither note is one I would actively seek in a fragrance). I have never been repulsed by any fragrance in the way I am repulsed by 888; I dry-heaved upon smelling it, and that's NOT an exaggeration.
While I love MANY of CDG's releases, and consider them a house of multiple masterpieces, I feel they proverbially crapped the bed by releasing this.
Of course everyone has different tastes/opinions, but I see no redeeming value in this towering abomination.
Moving on...
29th December, 2016
The pepper, saffron(ish), turmeric opening is kind of unique. It isn't my idea of the concept of gold, though that inspiration seems more something to spin this fragrance on. It may not have to end up where it started, so I'll just acknowledge the seed at the heart of this of a sort of cool, solid mineralic strength, a seriousness.
It is on me, very dry, herbal, and centered. This odd saffron doesn't in any way warm my skin, like it usually does. I don't pick up the florals other people have mentioned, or any amber in the dry down. That would have made it more wearable for me. Instead it became even more uncomfy - aggressively aromatic herbs, like a raspy dry wild thyme bush. I couldn't find a resonance with this one.
04th April, 2015
Genre: Woods

Fragrance houses don’t always do themselves favors with their advertising copy. Comme des Garçons’ 8 88 is a case in point: its smell is supposed to evoke a gold ingot, a notion so patently silly that it bears no further discussion.

What I like best about 8 88 is its marvelously juicy bergamot top note. You know, the one that’s there to make you buy the perfume before you have time to stop and think about it. After that comes a perfectly pleasant but mundane combination of spiced amber and woods so non-descript that to call it no great shakes is to overstate its case. Maybe Comme des Garçons ought to think about releasing fewer scents. The house could once be relied upon for innovative compositions at reasonable prices, but with fragrances like 8 88 and their Monocle and Luxe lines they’ve taken to peddling redundancy and mediocrity at a premium.
08th June, 2014
Unique. Strangely, Mr Turin gives a muted review, but its a matter of taste I guess.
Remains within my top five of all time. Saffron? Mmmmmm.
11th April, 2013

End Date: Monday Jan-7-2019 10:55:38 PST
Buy It Now for only: $105.59
Buy It Now | Add to watch list

Member images of 8 88

There are no member images of 8 88 yet. Why not be the first?