• Launched: 2007
    • Bottle Designer: Unknown - Let us know

Average Rating: 3

Based on 38 ratings

Outrageous! information

Outrageous! is a unisex fragrance by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle. The scent was launched in 2007

Reviews of Outrageous!

Showing 1 to 6 of 17 reviews.

Way Off Scenter's avatar

Genre: Woods

So the question for me, regarding Outrageous, was "How bad could it possibly be?"

The answer: "That bad."

Thin, harsh, and synthetic from the get-go, I'd guess this was a $12 mass market scent were I to sniff it blind. It's clean and fruity, but with a bothersome chemical mustiness I always associate with the cheapest of synthetics. That must be the "clean laundry" note. Detergent, if you ask me. The development, such as it is, involves citrus and a touch of apple pie over an anemic cedar underpinning. There is nothing innovative here, and nothing very "sexy" either, unless of course citrus air fresheners turn you on.

I rather liked French Lover, despite all the hits it's taken here, but Outrageous really is, well...an outrage. Please tell me this is not the future of the Frédéric Malle line.

22 June, 2014

drseid's avatar

Outrageous! opens with a mild green apple and mint combo that reminds me somewhat of laundry detergent. After a few minutes a cedar note appears to mingle with the opening notes, and begins to build to the point that within about an hour I find it the dominant note that I can detect before the true heart notes emerge. The cedar then recedes a bit, and a neroli and orange blossom combo emerges resembling Cologne du Parfumeur in passing to form the scent's heart in tandem with the now subdued cedar. The base is made up of the continuing residual cedar and citrus, combining with aldehydes and a light musk. Projection and longevity are both average.

Outrageous! is one of those "jack of all trades, master of none" kind of scents. It kind of has a bit of a number of my favorites in there at various stages of its development, but while pleasant always, none are done as well as the various scents each stage reminds me of. I like it, but I find Outrageous! overpriced and lacking in any real innovation; one of the most disappointing in the Malle line. I recommend it, but unenthusiastically. 3 to 3.5 out of 5 stars.

12 May, 2012

Fleurine's avatar

The name of this is Outrageous? Why? Possibly because of the price. It smelled like a nice generic citrus (like lemon) cologne, with some other nice spice notes, but I just kept waiting for the Oitrageous to kick in...maybe that comes when you get to the cash register. You can skip this, unless you love the bottle or something.

05 July, 2011

Pollux's avatar

Argentina Argentina

I like it, however, after trying it some thoughts come to mind:

1. It is a spice bomb, or at least, it opens as such. Immediately after application I am being reminded of Xeryus, Jaguar, Jacomo, R&G Open, One Man Show, which, BTW, they all have been released during the 1970s and the 1980's. Thus, rather than a classic, we might be in front of a fashion victim.

2. It feels like an aromatic fougere, the aromatics are so evident in the top notes that one can hardly think of it as something else. But...

3. The dry-down reminded me Montana Parfum D'Home (Red). If you look into the pyramid, you will realise they both share leather in their base notes.

4. OK, so this is an aromatic leather? Well, it does have oakmoss, but this is overran by the leather. Bold as many aromatics? Yes, indeed. Now, it is worth it if you have enough patience for its mid and base notes, provided you are used to those of what nowadays can be regarded as "classics" scents. Not a fashion victim in this sense, rather partially old school, the adjective being used for, if looking for these, there are better options (Tiffany, Chanel Pour Monsieur Concentree, Dunhill 1834, etc.).

Now, if looking for fragrances at odds with olfactive anorexia, this might be your cup of tea - which is mine, and the reason I gave it a thumbs up.

11th March, 2011

Kalynne's avatar

I love Frederic Malle's concept of creating fragrances, but sadly, I really don't like this one. It starts citrusy and woody, more masculine than fem in my opinion. It's a punch of aldehyde. It's now 40 min and I have a headache. It's warmed on my skin...less citrus, but still masculine woody. It's ok, but not nearly as interesting as the other Malle's. If I walked past someone wearing this scent, especially a man, I would think they smelled nice. Possibly a chemistry thing.

16 October, 2010

Oh_Hedgehog's avatar

Consider the high-pitched frequency emitted by a television when it's on and how it hovers at the threshold of the audible. Outrageous! is the olfactory equivalent of this sensation. It has a thin, miserly character that clings to the skin and requires prising away with strained inhalation; that effort returns notes of vetiver, spiced apples and cedar, with a delicate fringe of jasmine and a minty sheen to the whole thing. But it quickly sheds these more natural notes and persists as an ozonic, unrepentantly synthetic, colourless aura. What I'm reminded of by Outrageous! are the fumes that are forcibly extracted from a gym – that confusion of shower gels and chlorinated chacuzzis. Bearing in mind White Linen and 100% Love, I think there's a case for describing Grojsman as the high priestess of intentional trashiness. Is Outrageous! intriguing by doing for the nose what electrical static does for the skin? Yes. Does it smell good in the process? No, not especially.

19 September, 2010

Add your review of Outrageous!