Outrageous (2007)

HouseEditions de Parfums Frederic Malle
PerfumerSophia Grojsman
Parent CompanyEstee Lauder Companies

About Outrageous

Outrageous! was originally launched in 2007 as an exclusive to Barney's, in different packaging to the standard Editions de Parfums line. In 2017 Malle launched the fragrance worldwide, in the regular packaging for the brand (and dropping the exclamation mark along the way)

Outrageous fragrance notes

Reviews of Outrageous

When I first tried Outrageous years ago, I HATED it. That mix of fake orange and weird synthetics so repulsed me that I avoided smelling it for ten years. Then, the publicity surrounding its 2017 re-release inspired me to give it another try, and so help me, I rather like it now.

I think what surprises me the most is how much of a blueprint this is for Aventus. It's all about the bright citrus on top of a rich mix of ambrox and woods with just a pinch of bleachy synthetics, but Outrageous has less bleach and woods than Aventus, focusing more on the creamy richness of the ambrox, and of course Aventus uses pineapple instead of the mandarin aldehydes employed by Outrageous.

In all, I'd rather just wear Aventus, as I prefer the pineapple and upfront woods, so I don't think I need a bottle of Outrageous, but the combination of freshness and richness makes sense to me now and is quite well executed, so a rather surprising thumbs up!
27th March, 2017
Memories: Hot, alive summer in Arizona. Charismatic presentations and seminars. Boldness in a bottle.

Who should wear this: Werner Erhard. A lively school principal at a Montessori school. Elijah Wood. Me.

Bottom line: I love the whole OUTRAGEOUS fragrance. Orange (or tangerine, really), bright, bold, incredible. It is one of my new top five scents.
04th March, 2017
generic, mass market, boring skin scent!
28th February, 2017
Screechy synthetic; metallic. This is one of the few scrubbers for me. Gotta go. (Combo gag/cough)
15th March, 2016
A light clean apple-like scent is ruined by a harsh, metallic, screechy dry synthetic wood that brings the whole thing crashing down to beneath contempt.

I am surprised at Malle for releasing such an offensive fragrance. What could they have been thinking? And to make matters worse, expecting customers would shell out a large amount of cash to smelle like this.

They should have stopped at the clean scent and released it as an edc. It would have been unremarkable, but nice. The synthetic wood completely destroys the composition.

A real dud that could have been a delight!
03rd March, 2016
Genre: Woods

So the question for me, regarding Outrageous, was "How bad could it possibly be?"

The answer: "That bad."

Thin, harsh, and synthetic from the get-go, I'd guess this was a $12 mass market scent were I to sniff it blind. It's clean and fruity, but with a bothersome chemical mustiness I always associate with the cheapest of synthetics. That must be the "clean laundry" note. Detergent, if you ask me. The development, such as it is, involves citrus and a touch of apple pie over an anemic cedar underpinning. There is nothing innovative here, and nothing very "sexy" either, unless of course citrus air fresheners turn you on.

I rather liked French Lover, despite all the hits it's taken here, but Outrageous really is, well...an outrage. Please tell me this is not the future of the Frédéric Malle line.
22nd June, 2014

Add your review of Outrageous

Shop for Outrageous products online

Search Amazon for Outrageous

Member images of Outrageous

There are no member images of Outrageous yet. Why not be the first?