Mazzolari Lui
    by Mazzolari

Average Rating: 4

Based on 102 ratings

Mazzolari Lui information

Mazzolari Lui is a men's fragrance by Mazzolari.

Shop for Mazzolari Lui products online

Reviews of Mazzolari Lui

Showing 1 to 6 of 29 reviews.
    positive 24 Positive Reviewsneutral5 Neutral Reviewsnegative No Negative Reviews

ClaireV's avatar

Ireland Ireland

Mazzolari Lui is crazy sexy good. Yes, ok, technically it’s a men’s perfume (“Lui” means “Him” in Italian) and if you read the often hilarious reviews for this here on Basenotes and on Fragrantica, you will see an awful lot of male reviewers using words such as “virile”, “masculine” and “testosterone” which is akin to putting up big, neon signs reading, “Wimmen Folk Turn Back Now!” and pissing around it to demarcate the territory.

One review in particular here on Basenotes had me ordering a sample Mazzolari Lui straight away. Written by a guy called Montagne, it opens with possibly the best first sentence ever written about a perfume:

“Jesus, Dad”, gasps my daughter, hoarsely. “You smell like a bum’s nut-sack,” adding, perhaps superfluously: “and not in a good way.”

Oh Montagne, whoever you are, you had me at “nut-sack”. After all, all of the perfumes I love the best, such as Parfumerie Generale’s L’Ombre Fauve, Maison Francis Kurkdjian’s Absolue Pour Le Soir, and Serge Lutens’ Muscs Khoublai Khan, have (mostly) men writing reviews about them that reference:

a. the smell of a man’s sweaty nether regions, pee, poo, testicles, and/or;

b. the fact they would absolutely not, under any circumstances, like to smell this on a woman.

For me personally, that is just like waving a red flag in front of a bull. Half the stuff I do is on a dare already, so why should perfume be any different? It makes me wonder though – what is it about these big musky, castoreum-laden fumes that indicate they are for men only? And while we are on the subject, was there a board meeting back in biblical times that decided that violets and primroses were not to be worn by men? It’s not a facetious question. I would actually like to know.

Me, I try not to limit myself by all these (seemingly rather arbitrary) gender classifications. I love and wear Dior Homme Intense, Hermes Bel Ami, and Caron’s Le Troisieme Homme. I have worn Bvlgari Black since I was a teenager, even though every time I have gone to pick it up in the shop, a saleslady with a panicked look on her face would rush over and say, “MODOM! That is a MAN’s perfume!” I also used to wear Lalique’s Encre Noir, until the Iso E Super in it started to give me headaches.

But back to the matter at hand: does Mazzolari’s Lui actually smell like a bum’s nut-sack or not? Well, it’s been a while since I’ve smelled one*, but no – no it does not. It is much nicer. It is a fantastically dirty leather-and-patchouli fragrance that makes you feel like you are rolling around with someone you shouldn't be on a fur coat that has been rubbed down with civet oil. The opening blast is ferocious and pungent, with a smell half way between the sourness of clothes folded away damp and sweaty horse leather. The civet makes it utterly filthy from beginning to end, but despite the predictably massive longevity, the sillage does a surprising dip down to a skin scent after the initial blast. The castoreum in the base gives it a rounded, sensual feel.

It’s really hot. I mean, it is hella sexy. It is an Austen Powers sort of perfume. It reminds me most of L’Ombre Fauve, with its furry animal sensuality, but Mazzolari’s Lui is far more patch-heavy, dense and unctuous. And whereas L’Ombre Fauve is really just a riff on the dirty parts of amber, musk, and patchouli all joined up at the seams, Lui is a far messier, wilder thing altogether – an explosive cocktail of the unstable elements of pissy leather and patchouli and civet. Everything here is quite rough and disjointed. But in a good way.

I would highly recommend this one to the ladies out there who love a nice bit of skank. Any woman who appreciates the filthiness of Jean Desprez’ Bal a Versailles, MFK’s Absolue Pour Le Soir, Masque Fragrance’s Montecristo, or even the cute, furry little L’Ombre Fauve would get a kick out of this. Ignore all the “for men only” signs posted all around the Internet. If you are the kind of woman who wears perfumes to please herself alone, and not men, then this one is really worth looking into. I find it an intoxicating, almost fiercely private pleasure. I wear it for myself alone. I have worn it for the past five nights running, and one whole weekend, and as someone who has hundreds of samples I really want to try, that surely says a lot.

*It was a cold night outside Termini bus station in Rome. Woke up to find a vagrant gently grinding his crotch into my face. It was a mercifully brief encounter but I did get a tantalizing whiff of what Montagne’s daughter seems to have experienced in full.

13 August, 2014

Way Off Scenter's avatar

Genre: Leather

“Blockbuster” doesn’t do this scent justice. “Ballbuster” is more like it. Mazzolari Lui is a sock in the jaw, delivered effortlessly by a guy sporting dark sunglasses and two days’ worth of carefully cultivated stubble. It’s muscular leather, bold woods, tobacco, and a hint of smoke, all swirling around a core of blazing, animalic patchouli strong enough to put hair on Fabio’s chest. Even the powdery woods in the drydown have external genitalia. A healthy dose of sharp, aromatic lavender contributes a touch of the barbershop (which is where the house of Mazzolari started), but this barber’s place is full of hulking Mafiosi with 45s in their ankle holsters and stilettos up their sleeves. These aren’t the loutish guys with heavy Brooklyn accents – no, they’re well dressed and elegant, with all of their brutality concealed beneath their custom tailored suits.

With all of its steroids and testosterone, Mazzolari Lui out-Antaeuses Antaeus, knees Bois du Portugal in the nuts, and eats Parfum d’Habit for breakfast. It’s not the animalic brew of civet, castoreum, and costus root you’ll find in Muscs Koublai Khan either: it’s nowhere near that “pretty” or seductive. Nor is it as stark and dry as Yatagan, even if it’s just as bold. No, this one is very much its own animal, and that animal is male. Mazzolari Lui is a masterpiece, no doubt, but I haven’t found the circumstances under which I’d wear it. If you do, just make sure to use it very sparingly. The sillage and projection are both nuclear, and though the stuff smells great, two full sprays of it are probably enough to empty the room.

19 June, 2014

knightowl's avatar

This not testosterone, it's jet fuel...and it smells so damn gooood...

13 June, 2014

Anosmia Amnesia's avatar

I bought this blind, based on recommendations here, and I am grateful to the reviewers who influenced me. I do want to nitpick just a little and say that the civet does in fact last well into the drydown. Not rip-roaringly, but definitely perceptible, and this gives interest and strength to Lui's entire lifespan.

Speaking of the drydown, Lui's amber drydown is absolutely wonderful. I personally feel that this portion is warmer and more sensual than any other amber drydown I've experienced, even including spectacular "soliflor" ambers like Ambra Aurea and Ambre Sultan.

Update: it's funny how different scents appear more prominent at different times. Today, ML hit my skin like L'eau de Cat Piss. You know how medications warn you not to drive until you know how the stuff will affect you? My advice is to go easy until you find out how ML affects the people around you.

02 February, 2014 (Last Edited: 23 April, 2014)

montagne's avatar

"Jesus, Dad", gasps my daughter, hoarsely. "You smell like a bum's nut-sack," adding, perhaps superfluously: "and not in a good way."

Sometimes, it is necessary for a man to make a statement: "I do this for me, not for you."

Thus, it is very gratifying to me that this fragrance causes such offense to the women of the household. Gratifying enough, in fact, to make me keep my own secret: I too think the stuff smells like mouldy laundry that a horse has urinated on.

Worth it, though.

16 January, 2014

KIG's avatar

I have grown very tired of unisex releases. People nowadays get petrified of wearing scents that are assertive, and simply state their gender. Apparently, there are some houses releasing treasures, regardless of what the masses think.

Lui has one of the boldest civet, patchouli and leather openings, followed by musk, patchouli and amber dry down. The amber never gets too sweet, should I say sweet at all. Hint of ambergris. Even some of the greatest amber fragrances always provoke a feminine take on the subject, but thankfully it’s not the case here.

Mazzolari Lui has one of the longest and most beautiful transitions from top to base notes. Unless you panic at the potency of the top notes, you will witness an incredible dry down - assertive, strong, deep, sexy, masculine and poetic.

The progression is like an old school powerhouse. ML was probably first thought of in late 70’s and early 80’s, executed in 2006, without cutting any corners. Fragrances like this do not get released very often, so I’m grateful to have found it.

The love factor obviously is very subjective, but having said that, if you like very bold, dirty, deep and sexy masculines with absolutely endless dry down, do yourself a favor and sample it. Just to remind you what a men’s frag should inquire.

Longevity and sillage are spectacular.

The scent is perfection throughout all the stages. Hopefully they never reformulate it.

20th November, 2013 (Last Edited: 26 November, 2013)

Add your review of Mazzolari Lui