Monocle Scent One: Hinoki (2008)
by Comme des Garçons for Monocle

Monocle Scent One: Hinoki information

Year of Launch2008

HouseComme des Garçons
Created ForMonocle
PerfumerAntoine Maisondieu

About Monocle Scent One: Hinoki

Monocle Scent One: Hinoki is a shared / unisex perfume by Comme des Garçons. The scent was launched in 2008 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Antoine Maisondieu

Monocle Scent One: Hinoki fragrance notes

Reviews of Monocle Scent One: Hinoki

I love the turpentine and wood accords. It makes me think of a craftsman's workshop, or a paneled room in an old club.

I'm considering layering Tom Ford's Italian Cypress with M/Mink to experiment with similar scents and get more longevity.
21st July, 2016
I'm adjusting my goggles as the breeze whips against my frozen face and the snowflakes dart by on the periphery of my vision. I smell the Aspen, Birch and freshly trimmed fir as I shush down Aspen mountain. I am the first to break the night's powder and I am extatic but calm at the same time. I am really getting into the groove as I merge onto a more chopped up and used trail. It forces me into a particular run that terminates at a closed lift. Bummer....I have to take the bus back to the lodge because the lift is shut down, thus ending the run like I had hit a wall. Welcome to Hinoki.
22nd April, 2016 (last edited: 21st April, 2016)
Ethereal opening. That's it folks! I"m glad I have a tot of Heeley's Phoenicia to provide a real story.
07th April, 2016 (last edited: 22nd June, 2016)
Future Jason:

You wrote some review ("hamster cage") and then read what others had already written ("hamster cage") and decided that the Basenotes ESP is strong.

There is cypress here that you like better (it's possible!) than Cipresso de Toscana, not so much camphor that you regret it (like Tea for Two), and a twinge of gunmetal/gunpowder, like you used to get from TdH, but haven't been able to find again for years.

"This is our most accessible hamster cage."

You started off feeling quite positive about this. It faded quickly enough for you to have second thoughts. If some falls of a truck, please pick some up.
19th March, 2016 (last edited: 18th March, 2016)
Like woods, like pepper? Hinoki is for you then. After a quick intense spicy woodsy opening the camphor molecule quickly emerges giving that smoldering burning wood note, an element I get in Tom Ford's Tobacco Vanille. Although here in Hinoki, don't expect any sweetness. This fragrance smells like some Jean Claude Ellena would make, since it's pretty heavy on the Iso E as well.

Overall price for value, this stuff is a bit too boring and one dimensional for my tastes, but if you know CdG, especially some of their series, then you know how they make simplistic fragrances. I just don't think the mark up is worth it. To me, this is worth about 30 bucks. Longevity is also pretty poor at 4 hours or less.
21st June, 2015
This is very relaxing and outdoorsy. Hinoki smells very much like cedar to me, except with a slight tinge of lemon or bergamot somewhere in the mix, and a huge dollop of camphor. The camphoraceous aspects of the Hinoki wood add this fresh, green, almost wet feel to the perfume and sometimes smells even a little bit industrial at times, like glue or paint – although, let’s be honest, glue and wet paint also smell bloody fantastic, so no complaints here.

In general, the slight smoky-incense feel to Hinoki makes this a true sister scent to Kyoto, also by Comme des Garcons, and who knows, it may have been the basic template for Kyoto. Either way, both these scents share a green, slightly camphoric, woody incense character and are both equally diffuse and translucent in texture. Elegant to the bone, minimalist, stylish, and grounding – these are two of my favorites for when you need to carry the great redwoods of Oregon around in your personal headspace (ok, wrong wood type but you know what I mean!).
18th May, 2015

Add your review of Monocle Scent One: Hinoki

Shop for Monocle Scent One: Hinoki products online

Search Amazon for Monocle Scent One: Hinoki

Member images of Monocle Scent One: Hinoki

There are no member images of Monocle Scent One: Hinoki yet. Why not be the first?