Monocle Scent One: Hinoki (2008)
    by Comme des Garçons For Monocle

Reviews of Monocle Scent One: Hinoki

Showing 1 to 6 of 41 reviews.

Colin Maillard's avatar
    Colin Maillard

Bold balsamic and woody-incense accord, animated by a massive and invigorating presence of raw, quite realistic cedar wood. I smell a hint of fresh tobacco leaves as well at some point, even if they're not in the composition. Fairly similar to Sugi, a bit light and quickly-to-vanish, nice ash-y drydown.

6,5/10

04 April, 2014 (Last Edited: 05 April, 2014)

Quartz's avatar
    Quartz

Weak performer

I'll have to agree with some of the other reviews that describe poor longevity. It immediately starts out really nice with a pine/cedar combo that quickly disappears in about an hour on my skin. There was literally no trace of it after the first hour. I had someone else try it and I couldn't smell it at all. Very disappointing. Totally overpriced- I wouldn't bother with it even it was $20. Fortunately it was a sample so I know not to waste money on a bottle.

Pros: Very nice scent at the start
    Cons: Lasts about on hour"

12 August, 2013

Wyrd's avatar
    Wyrd

I really wanted to like this scent, given the description and the elements listed in the positive reviews. Sadly all I get is a blast of camphor in the beginning, which gradually diminishes until the scent is entirely gone after about an hour. Pretty much the shortest lifespan of all the scents I have tried, although I'm sure it's due to a freakish interaction with my skin.

18 April, 2013

Card Board's avatar
    Card Board
    Germany Germany

According to Luckyscent: Cypress, turpentine, camphor, cedar, thyme, pine, Georgian wood, frankincense, moss and vetiver

Opens with cedar woodchips, which warm fairly quickly to cedar woodchips in the sun. I’ve done enough gardening to recognize this scent (which is much fresher than the hamster cage previously mentioned). It wafts nicely and radiates warmth, in a sense evoking the warm soaking tub of the scent’s inspiration, although personal associations lead me to recall applying the top layer of cedar mulch to newly planted trees in my yard on a warm spring day. There are hints of pine, but on me, cedar is the star of this linear, nearly monochromatic fragrance. I waited for, and wanted the mossy/moldy aspect others have described, but it never showed. I suspect that the scent benefits from an underlayment of vetiver, but that is not a note I can really identify, nor can I really identify any note other than CEDAR (which also, thankfully, means no turpentine or Vicks VapoRub for me). It’s a good, accurate cedar. Throughout there is a warmth to it that I would liken to liquor, but it is an imparted feeling, not a note. If you are after this effect, I wonder if a drop of two of cedar essential oil would suffice. Projection and sillage are great for the first 3+ hours, it’s only a little more than a skin scent by 5 hours. I may have over applied my sample, although I didn’t feel like I could have. I think this one may be easily oversprayed.

28 February, 2013

hotreds's avatar
    hotreds

Unique scent; incense and musty. Cedar dry down.

29 November, 2012

farang's avatar
    farang
    Thailand Thailand

It is true that this scent is reminiscent of an Asian temple, not necessarily a Japanese temple since I feel the vibes of a Vietnamese temple as well. Temples are made from wood with a stony base. The good part of this scent does indeed smell like the wooden part of the temple; wood and incense like.

But before you reach this point, the scent takes you down to the basement of the temple, the stony part, the cellar. And this part is moldy. Very moldy!

I am afraid it's not worth it for me to pass through the damp, moldy cellar to reach the better smelling wooden part.

Longevity is good on me when I tried it.

23 July, 2012 (Last Edited: 02 August, 2012)

Add your review of Monocle Scent One: Hinoki