Monocle Scent One: Hinoki (2008)
by Comme des Garçons for Monocle

Monocle Scent One: Hinoki information

Year of Launch2008

HouseComme des Garçons
Created ForMonocle
PerfumerAntoine Maisondieu

About Monocle Scent One: Hinoki

Monocle Scent One: Hinoki is a shared / unisex perfume by Comme des Garçons. The scent was launched in 2008 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Antoine Maisondieu

Monocle Scent One: Hinoki fragrance notes

Reviews of Monocle Scent One: Hinoki

Hinoki is very minimal and simplistic: a cypress & laurel leaf opening, a synthetic impression of actual Hinoki wood (which, in its finest quality, smells wonderfully anachronistic, alluringly camphoraceous, lemony, vivid, and virile), and a pretty common-to-CdG cedary-musk base accord.

What it does it does well, thanks to the captive faux-Hinoki which makes up a large part of the composition. But, I've found after repeated wearings, its thrill fades quickly, namely, I find myself asking, "Why would I want to wear this anymore?" when I think about it: the opening notes are too short-lived, its core is too one-faceted, and its foundation is ultimately reminiscent of too many other CdG scents, which in time, all begin to smell too alike to wear as unique.

And whereas CdG once felt very unique, now, especially here in Hinoki, it begins to just feel safe. Lovely, but not so proportional to its bloated price.
05th July, 2017
A very frustrating experience.

Hinoki has some dusty green top notes where one can barely pick out the pine and the cypress. The green elements are supported by cedar-like woods. The fragrance smells simplistic, linear and is hardly engaging. Very soon the green elements subside to leave behind a humdrum woody skin scent. Overall it's very lacklustre - a vanishing mid phase, an absent base, very short duration and zero sillage.

Disappointing to say the least.

1.5/5
02nd June, 2017
This is definitely an incredible scent.

That said, I would personally never wear it in public. This is more of a scent to enjoy on oneself during the cooler months.

I normally try to relax my mind when I first wear/test any new scent and see what images first pop in my mind upon inhaling. In the case of Hinoki, I close my eyes and find myself relaxing in a cedar-lined sauna. Warm-hot dry air surrounds me and I close my eyes to relax and meditate while enjoying the warmth and scent of woods.

All-in-all, a fantastic scent to enjoy, but I would not label this as a people-pleaser. The closest thing to a real 'woodsy' cologne that I would dare wear in public would be Bottega Veneta's Pour Homme Edt.
10th May, 2017
Thumbs up for Hinoki! A very dry woods feeling fragrance that is extremely satisfying. I will say that the unique nature of this woody scent creates an ozone like note that reminded me of the ozone note in Every Storm A Serenade by Imaginary Authors. However, the ozone like note here is actually a part of the camphorous, turpentine vibe that's going on. For all I know, that's how Imaginary Authors created their ozone effect. But, in Hinoki, that feeling of ozone is only a slight edge, and the main notes are woods. I'd love to have a bottle of this gem.
03rd January, 2017
I love the turpentine and wood accords. It makes me think of a craftsman's workshop, or a paneled room in an old club.

I'm considering layering Tom Ford's Italian Cypress with M/Mink to experiment with similar scents and get more longevity.
21st July, 2016
I'm adjusting my goggles as the breeze whips against my frozen face and the snowflakes dart by on the periphery of my vision. I smell the Aspen, Birch and freshly trimmed fir as I shush down Aspen mountain. I am the first to break the night's powder and I am extatic but calm at the same time. I am really getting into the groove as I merge onto a more chopped up and used trail. It forces me into a particular run that terminates at a closed lift. Bummer....I have to take the bus back to the lodge because the lift is shut down, thus ending the run like I had hit a wall. Welcome to Hinoki.
22nd April, 2016 (last edited: 21st April, 2016)

Add your review of Monocle Scent One: Hinoki

Shop for Monocle Scent One: Hinoki products online

Search Amazon for Monocle Scent One: Hinoki

Member images of Monocle Scent One: Hinoki

There are no member images of Monocle Scent One: Hinoki yet. Why not be the first?