A*Men Pure Coffee (2008)

PerfumerJacques Huclier
PerfumerChristine Nagel
Parent CompanyGroupe Clarins

About A*Men Pure Coffee

A*Men Pure Coffee is a masculine fragrance by Thierry Mugler. The scent was launched in 2008 and the fragrance was created by perfumers Christine Nagel and Jacques Huclier

A*Men Pure Coffee fragrance notes

Reviews of A*Men Pure Coffee

There are those that deplore A*Men.

There are those that appreciate all the mugler patchouli/choco-centric offerings and will tell of the various nuances among and between them all.

And there are those that are just OK with all the offerings and will say they do not reflect enough toward the particular name (i.e. here -> not enough of a coffee accord in Pure Coffee) and simply don't differ enough to justify owning more than one.

I'm of the last group. I choose Pure Malt, but just by a wee dram.
13th July, 2016
Phenomenal. The first time I sampled this it made me laugh because the coffee was so distinct and recognizable, I couldn't imagine anyone taking it seriously as a personal scent for the day. Fragrances are works of art indeed, but there's little use for a scent presented as an eau de toilette that can't be worn. If it's unwearable, it's better off as a scented candle or simply a paper strip.

Fortunately, A*Men Coffee made such an impression that after sampling several scents that day it couldn't be erased from my memory. I thought about it throughout the week and something told me I needed to try it again. I did so; it smelled exactly the same as the first time but instead of being amused at how uncannily it resembled coffee, I took notice of just how nice the overall scent is as something to wear. It doesn't make you smell like a Starbucks at all. Instead, it smells entirely appropriate and complete as a men's winter fragrance with this breathtaking note of coffee that's neither too sweet nor too bitter. It's gorgeous, unique, and unforgettable.

I have the original A*Men and have sampled several from the line. Pure Coffee is my favorite head and shoulders above the rest.
12th January, 2016
Pure Coffee is the only A*Men flanker that's a good evenly balanced scent, and it mostly gets this merit because the coffee note actually seems to tone down the horrid base found in A*Men, Pure Malt, Wood and Havane. The coffee note is reminiscent of roasted coffee beans, with a more mellow coffee note. Not bitter or sharp, as the sweetness of the base gives this a nicer balance. Additionally, Pure Coffee doesn't have the offensive projection power of Malt, Wood and Havane, so it's not going to clear the room or announce itself as it's siblings would.

Would make a good cold weather casual scent, but probably not for the office. I'm still not sure I will purchase it, but it is pleasant, relaxing and wearable in the right circumstances.
29th September, 2015
bigbz Show all reviews
Wow, what a terrific scent!!! The typical A*men DNA/base but with a great bitter coffee note that really cuts back on the typical sweetness these Mugler flankers sometimes possess and balances things out very nicely. There is something really captivating to me about the coffee aroma that's in this. It's not the gross, bitter coffee breath like-smell that's in Polo Double Black....but something special and wonderfully blended.

Yes, it is much more subdued, mellow and not as long lasting compared to it's counterparts. But honestly, I don't really see that as a bad thing in this case. Easily the most wearable of his A*men line-up IMHO. I think this just jumped to the head of the class as my favorite from this line....I like it even more than the former champ, Taste Of Fragrance! Really glad they ended up re-releasing this one!
19th March, 2015 (last edited: 24th March, 2015)
While an inferior Mugler entry to Pure Malt and Pure Havane (and probably the original Angel Men, as well), Pure Coffee is still a pleasant fragrance, provided you like the A*Men DNA with the bitter coffee.

I do find it to be less sweet than the three aforementioned scents, as the main and distinguishing coffee note is a bitter coffee, rather than a breakfast, sweet coffee of a mocha or french vanilla ilk.

It's not as strong at its opening as PM/PH/Angel Men and its longevity is also inferior to these, but I still get about 8 hours with some projection, after which it becomes a skin scent. Of course the other three have great longevity for EDTs, so Pure Coffee is still above average, or at least average, for an EDT.

Certainly a welcome entry into the A*Men line, but I agree with other critics who argue that it doesn't merit its earlier hype. PM and PH are definitely the standouts of the line for me.

8 out of 10
30th January, 2015 (last edited: 05th February, 2015)
Many will say that it's too similar to the original A*Men. I say the DNA of the original is here, but far from it that they're the same. Pure Coffee completely has a character of its own.

I was expecting far thicker scent and it turned out it's more airy. I feel that coffee note here, it's quite profound to me and also there's an echo of dark chocolate in this fragrance. Patchouli is forever present and vetiver sort of subtly freshens the coffee note and makes it more pronounced in a strange fashion.

Pure Coffee is not a projection monster like the original and some of the other flankers. That doesn't mean that Pure Coffee is weak. Although you won't fill the room with it, people standing next you will most definitely feel it.

In my opinion, Pure Coffee is more elegant. It doesn't project that wildly, but also it is elegant by the way it smells. It's more refined original without the tar and excessive sweetness.

So, Pure Coffee is in fact not all that original, I'll agree to that, but it's definitely worth to have it in a collection if you like the original or the entire line. To me personally, it's the most elegant of all the flankers released thus far.
19th November, 2014