Pulp (2008)

Year of Launch2008

HouseByredo
PerfumerJerome Epinette

About Pulp

Pulp is a shared / unisex perfume by Byredo. The scent was launched in 2008 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Jerome Epinette

Pulp fragrance notes

Reviews of Pulp

I like Pulp. I really do.

In fact, Iíd go so far as to say itís an absolutely gorgeous parfum, and a unique and quite individual achievement that justifies both its status as one of the more remarkable fragrances affixed with the elegant Byredo label as well as much of the positive hype itís garnered (if not necessarily the egregious price tag, but then, Iím no chemist, so perhaps it does).

The only problem is, more often than not, in my wearings, Pulp isnít the radiating splendor I remember, and instead I find myself confronted with it's bratty little bitch side. Itís easily the most temperamental fragrance Iíve ever worn.

If the temperature that day isnít just so, itís either *poof* gone without a trace or overbearingly, embarrassingly, ever-present.

A little warm AND humid? Gird yourself for a noxious candied fruit explosion and some dirty looks from co-workers.

Cooler and drier says the weatherperson? Youíll drive yourself crazy debating whether youíve lost it because you were absolutely certain youíd put something on that morning, but inhaling deeply from all application points reveals no clue as to what.

BUT, when the atmosphere decides to keep her end of the bargain, Pulp is an absolute stunner that almost makes the trials and tribulations worth it. Almost.

Maybe if I lived in a place thatís temperate year round with little variance in humidity...

Wait, I already live there.

If I canít make Pulp work in Los Angeles, I canít give a thumbs up to this fragrance that I actually love.

Alternately, find me a place more temperate than Los Angeles (What would that be? Like a vacuum not quite at 100%?), and Iíd revel in Pulp's lightly sweet and optimistically green grandeur amongst the stasis of that impossibly boring world.
03rd April, 2016
People seem to have very different experiences of pulp. It's my personal favourite from Byredo. It is intensely fruity yes, but there's more to it. Smooth cardamom and a nice dry chocolatey/woody/cherry(?) base that keeps the ripe and slightly sour fruits balanced.

Sillage is fairly poor though, but it's also easy to overspray at which point it becomes annoying. But still a thumbs up from me.
23rd February, 2016
Every time I spray Pulp, I spend the first 30 seconds marveling at its ridiculously exaggerated juiciness, and then I notice that it smells like a cheap candle and it won't go away for hours and it's amateurishly strong.

It smells like a "tropical punch"-flavored candy. Sort of pineapple-ish, sort of coconutty. It's vaguely waxy, which is probably cementing the candle association. If your town has a cute little gift shop with little travel candles in tins, there's probably one there that's supposed to smell like papaya or pink lychee or something that smells exactly like this. Meh.
22nd February, 2015
Realistic, raw fruit. When I first gave Pulp a sniff from the sample vial, I thought, ďraw fruit, a little boringĒ. But after wearing awhile, I see thereís more to it than that. The more I smell Pulp, the more I smell something vegetal, rather than fruity. Pulp actually reminds me of 2 very different fragrances: Sweet Pea from Bath and Body Works, which smells exactly like fresh peas in the kitchen (with added sugar, of course), and Piment Brulant by LíArtisan, which smells like a vegetable garden. Yes, despite the listed notes, Pulp also has a slight vegetal smell to me, which keeps it from being too sweet. Maybe this seems odd, but I find this vegetal smell fascinating, even therapeutic. I don't think Pulp smells like rotting fruit, just very RIPE fruit. Overall, I like Pulp, but it seems a bit top-heavy, lacking substantial base notes which would make it a more wearable, well-rounded fragrance.
18th February, 2015
TefanG Show all reviews
I love this fragrance. Citrus, yes...but different...sort of pineapply. A very unique citrus. Longevity amazing. Long-lasting.
14th January, 2015
This literally made me sick to my stomach. I don't mind the (very strong) pulpy fruit smell, but there is an underlying scent of chemical bug spray that is just gagging. I cannot stand this. (I like other Byredo scents, Bal D'Afrique in particular.)
21st October, 2014

Add your review of Pulp

Shop for Pulp products online

Shop for Pulp at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Pulp

Member images of Pulp

There are no member images of Pulp yet. Why not be the first?