Encens Chembur (2008)

Encens Chembur information

Encens Chembur is a unisex fragrance by Byredo. The scent was launched in 2008

Shop for Encens Chembur products online

Reviews of Encens Chembur

Showing 1 to 6 of 13 reviews.

Darvant's avatar

Really don't know what to think about this juice as i hardly detect it on my skin after a while. Yes, it's lingering around (even if you think it isn't) and gentle but too shy and dull for the lovers of the bursting (mystic and liturgical) incenses as i am. The beginning is the weirdest part of the olfactory appointment as you can clearly detect a gingery fruity presence slightly angular, culinary and cool (a strange lemony, floral, sweetly spicy and aromatic touch) while in a few time (as soon as the angular fruity/floral vibe recedes) a common resinous and woodsy incensey (frankincense and resinous olibanum) vibe keeps working out with a faint sticky temperament and a mossy background. Pleasant but anyway i always dream my Norma Kamali Incense.

30th April, 2013

Manderava's avatar

Oh! The first time I smelled it I was in love! My hippie childhood was ready to call it fate and entwine myself with this scent forever and ever. It just seemed to scream ME!

But actually, when I put the sample on myself it was far too strong and masculine. I suppose that what I'm really in love with is the idea of smelling this on someone else, but it's not working on me. I wish my husband loved it, I would gobble him up, but he's more "white bread" than I am and it's just not his thing.

28 November, 2012

alfarom's avatar

I've a feeling with Chembur I've not totally understood yet. It's shy, not loud, kinda laidback but it's there, and you pleasantly notice. Basically it's a frankincense fragrance but it takes its distance from others scents of the same family (Avignon, Cardinal, Incense Extreme) by introducing a metallic note in the opening that I quite appreciate. It's dry and cold at first, a bit pungent, a bit astringent but never too loud, never too much. The drydown is very gentle and comfortable, almost imperceptible and it gave me the sensation of a room where they burned sandalwood incense sticks (the good quality ones), but two days ago. My aim was to write a "not so good /nothing special" review but having Chembur on my skin that shyly appears with its subtile allure, changed my mind and left me somehow fascinated.
    I don't think I will never get a FB of this as I usually love darker and warmer church incenses but, if you're looking for something quite distinctive but not too daring, give Chembur a chance.

07 March, 2011 (Last Edited: 02 November, 2011)

odysseusm's avatar

This has a resinous, incense-oriented character, and I like it. It starts with lemon-citrus notes and then settles into an airy, woody-incense scent. It is transluscent, subtle, and very classy due to the restrained treatment. At times, there is something suggesting damp, cool and moist undergrowth. There is also a nice bit of spicy ginger. The dry-down gets more substantial but is never heavy or sweet. The ginger-incense chord strikes me as similar to what I find in Miller & Bertaux’s Spiritus/Land.

07 December, 2010

rickbr's avatar

Brazil Brazil

I cannot understand Byredo`s brand. Why put money, efforth, creativity, to design fragrances so mass-marketed? Their offering sound like your commercial fragrance done with a little better materials and concentration, but without any risks. Chembur looks like an citrusy-incense offering for men. It opens with an adstringent citrus note with a resinous edge. This first blast develops to a incense note similar to Calvin Klein Man, with an incense smell that looks like it hasn`t been burnt yet. The ginger is fresh, not soapy, and make a dull - but pleasant - combination. The base is a common place combination of musk and amber. Something on Chembur is quite similar to Samourai 47 by Alain Delon. I still wonder why someone would buy something so expensive that smells so similar to something cheap. Not bad, but not great too.

13 July, 2010

BayKAT's avatar

Hmm... I'm surprised I don't see patchouli here, I thought I detected it. This has a high ringing medicinal finish that I usually attribute to patchouli.

I' now wearing this for the second time, and enjoying it more than i did the first wearing (this usually happens when I find a scen that I like, as my brain has a better reference for it).

Chembur opens very green, a light, almost watery green. I love this phase!!! As it dries down i would describe it as a citrus infused chypre and not as an oriental spicy, which is how it is marketed. I"m really questioning the ingredients listed, I don't smell the incense at all, nor the nutmeg/ginger. this is very firmly a green floral on me, and a darn good one at that.

It probably comes down to chemistry wiht this one, but this is a very pretty, bitter crisp fragrance that is fantastic for summer time. This really works on me!

21st June, 2010 (Last Edited: 04 July, 2010)

Add your review of Encens Chembur