Encens Chembur (2008)

Year of Launch2008

HouseByredo
PerfumerJerome Epinette

About Encens Chembur

Encens Chembur is a shared / unisex perfume by Byredo. The scent was launched in 2008 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Jerome Epinette

Encens Chembur fragrance notes

Reviews of Encens Chembur

Byredo Encens Chembur, also known simply as Chembur, is another odd creation by the house, a mix of incense and citrus, primarily, which instantly makes me think of two opposing seasons, with some ginger mixed it for good measure to cock it up.

It's not an unpleasant scent but it's unclear how or why one would wear this. It's roughly the same concept as the Acqua di Parma Colonia Leather, Oud, and Amber trio (with more entries since), where the very summery Colonia is mixed with heavier, wintery elements, though ADP's execution is excellent, and Byredo's just seem like a bit of a mishap.

For me, Encens Chembur lingers somewhere between mediocre and good, but not worth wearing a second time, still.

6 out of 10
16th June, 2017
Inoffensive and nice fragrance, but I can't shake the association that the scent kind of reminds me of Coca Cola (if that makes sense).

Still, worth a try as it's a unique novelty, but not one I would be adding to my collection.
16th April, 2017
A pleasant airy take on the incense genre that focuses on the lemony and resinous aspects of frankincense, ably supported by an appropriately assembled cast of players including elemi, clean musk and bergamot.

ENCENS CHEMBUR projects well and maintains a noticeable presence despite its more restrained personality. While I agree it is not particularly riveting I do appreciate its affable, easygoing nature.

So what if it costs a pretty penny? Sometimes you just want to hang out with your fragrance friend and not rack your brains figuring out its intentions.

19th July, 2016
... and another dull, synthetic, vaguely “fizzy” incense with the usual base nuances of “pencil sharpener” cedar wood, here contrasted by spices and a sort of citrus-candied note (elemi). A bit ambery and vanillic, with a pleasant undertone of musky-soapy notes which provide a decent sort of “dusty” mood, a bit moldy too (ambroxan, I guess), enhanced by the slightly “rotten” sweetishness of some nuances of elemi. Then pepper, ginger, nutmeg. Basically, think of some (neo)classic woody-spicy scents like Cacharel pour l’Homme or Envy Men, rewritten with a prominent synthetic incense note to fit the current requirements of fashion (back then). In my opinion: uncreative, plastic, overpriced, still decently pleasant albeit in the least interesting meaning ever.

5,5-6/10
21st February, 2015
Really don't know what to think about this juice as i hardly detect it on my skin after a while. Yes, it's lingering around (even if you think it isn't) and gentle but too shy and dull for the lovers of the bursting (mystic and liturgical) incenses as i am. The beginning is the weirdest part of the olfactory appointment as you can clearly detect a gingery fruity presence slightly angular, culinary and cool (a strange lemony, floral, sweetly spicy and aromatic touch) while in a few time (as soon as the angular fruity/floral vibe recedes) a common resinous and woodsy incensey (frankincense and resinous olibanum) vibe starts working out with a faint sticky temperament and a mossy background. Pleasant but anyway i always dream my Norma Kamali Incense.
30th April, 2013 (last edited: 07th January, 2015)
Oh! The first time I smelled it I was in love! My hippie childhood was ready to call it fate and entwine myself with this scent forever and ever. It just seemed to scream ME!

But actually, when I put the sample on myself it was far too strong and masculine. I suppose that what I'm really in love with is the idea of smelling this on someone else, but it's not working on me. I wish my husband loved it, I would gobble him up, but he's more "white bread" than I am and it's just not his thing.
28th November, 2012

Add your review of Encens Chembur

Shop for Encens Chembur products online

Search Amazon for Encens Chembur

Member images of Encens Chembur

There are no member images of Encens Chembur yet. Why not be the first?