Cruel Intentions

Cruel Intentions information

HouseBy Kilian
PerfumerSidonie Lancesseur

About Cruel Intentions

Cruel Intentions is a shared / unisex perfume by By Kilian. The fragrance was created by perfumer Sidonie Lancesseur

Cruel Intentions fragrance notes

Reviews of Cruel Intentions

new dress new heels new
job new purse new lipstick new
roses new trouble

"Of course she smells great,
you moron. It's the smell of
your money burning."

Devoted father,
son, husband, brother, uncle,
and friend to many.
14th October, 2018
Smells like lipstick. Nothing else mixed with the lipstick smell like other fragrances that have this note, just pure lipstick. Projected very well and lasted all day so it has great performance if you enjoy the smell.
16th October, 2016
By Kilian Cruel Intentions is not my sort of thing, a slightly sweet modern synthetic-oud harsh chemical smell.
04th August, 2016 (last edited: 06th August, 2016)
The preponderance of mixed reviews here on Basenotes makes me feel better about my own ambivalent attitude towards Cruel Intentions. This fragrance is fantastic in theory: the elements of bergamot, rose, and vetiver sit right in the center of my personal fragrance wheelhouse. Styrax and Oud can only be good things here, right?

This description would lead me to expect an earthy but super-smooth fragrance, something a lą Maison Francis Kurkdjian. This may have been the, ahem, intention, but it's difficult to tell. This fragrance seems so stubbornly closed up on itself that even a very generous application reveals little, besides a curious dried rose petal note and a hint of dried vanilla. It's almost as if only the tightest, most difficult olfactory elements of this perfume's constituent parts are present at all, and they are all somehow smothered beneath a barrier that mutes them even further. This is too bad, because what I can smell is intriguing, animalic, earthy, rose-and-dry-vanilla that I would happily pay good money for--if I could smell it. (As it is, the name (that wretched movie. Oh, the humanity) and the almost indetectable scent could almost have been paired up into one of Etat Libre d'Orange's particularly sophomoric efforts).

It's entirely possible that my sample has gone off, but it has smelled like this from the time I received it. I'm not giving Cruel Intentions a thumbs down yet, only because I want to be sure this is really what it's supposed to smell like.
26th March, 2016
rbaker Show all reviews
The opening in an interesting start, with a somewhat dampened bergamot mixing with a flowery mix that is dominated by a violet accord and is paired with a rose oil component. It is not the traditional fresh bergamot but more the oily extract that I get here, and equally the floral side is neither very bright nor fresh and more on the extract side.
Soon a strong resinous styrax is emerging, which remains as the central epithet for a number of hours on my skin.

Later in the drydown a mix of woodsy notes arrives; I mainly get guaļac with hints of sandal. There is an ephemeral smidgeon of oud somewhere, discernible only using a strong olfactoric microscope and one's imagination. The last element to be added is a somewhat bland vanilla that remains until the end.

I get a fairly soft sillage, just adequate projection and seven hours of longevity. A restrained daytime spring scent with a pleasant start, and afterwards remaining a bit flat on me. 2.75/5.
07th January, 2016
Sweet woody rose, By Kilian's Cruel Intentions plays of a velvety smoothness that's very inviting and provocative at the same time. This is one of many in the "sweet rose oud" (which makes me wonder how much less sweet By Kilian's own Rose Oud is) genre that seems to have grown popular as of late, and it does not disappoint in that respect.

The literature suggests this should be seductive, and it certainly seems appropriate in that place--a well-done rose is always seductive for both men and women, and the sweetness (vanilla?) is welcoming throughout the dry down. Most of the freshness in the bergamot and vetiver dies out relatively quickly.

This is certainly unisex, and despite the absence of freshness in the rose, I feel it leans slightly feminine on me. I'm generally a fan of the sweet rose (Cafe Rose, Noir de Noir, Rose d'Arabie, Rose Flash) but there is something about Cruel Intentions that almost seems like a candied sweetness as opposed to a boozy or vanilla sweetness. However, I'm completely open to the notion that it works for many men in the sweet rose genre.

The oud involved is relatively limited---most of the story here is told by the rose, sweetness, and woods. This is thick enough that it should probably be used mainly in cold-weather situations, though a warm-weather formal situation or a date might work well. It's strong in terms of projection and longevity, lending credence the By Kilian value for its price (the standard $260 for 50ml).

I like this a lot--I just know it's not for me, but I'd recommend that everyone check this out. It could be a signature scent for women or men.

7 out of 10
05th November, 2015

Add your review of Cruel Intentions

Shop for Cruel Intentions products online

Member images of Cruel Intentions

There are no member images of Cruel Intentions yet. Why not be the first?