Absinth (2007)

Absinth information

Year of Launch2007

PerfumerAlessandro Gualtieri

About Absinth

Absinth is a masculine fragrance by Nasomatto. The scent was launched in 2007 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Alessandro Gualtieri

Reviews of Absinth

This smells really great! I'm not familiar with the drink Absinthe, so I don't know for sure how accurate this fragrance is, but I can definitely smell some likeness with L'Artisian Parfumers Fou d' Absinthe, especially in the opening. I will say that I believe this Nasomatto version of Absinthe smells even better than the LAP version however. This is nice and woodsy, and I love the woods! Absinth also has better longevity than Fou d' Absinthe on my skin, which matters to me. The dry down smells like vetiver...specifically like Chanel's Sycomore, with the Absinthe aura hanging about instead of any smokiness. This is just a very enjoyable wear from start to finish. Absinth costs over $6.00/mil US however, so it's definitely not cheap.
28th February, 2018
I have been on a recent marathon of potential absinthe-centric scents to add to my wardrobe and this one is near the top of the list in terms of both accuracy and quality. In perfumery (so far) every absinthe scent is marred by either vanilla or excess wood, neither of which exist in the beverage. But I now understand that the notes derived from just the beverage itself would be so utterly fleeting as to be close to unmarketable.
Nasomatto's take on my drink of choice favors the woody side, giving a dry, rootsy feel with a particularly pleasant vetiver, like an apertif spilled into soil at the root of an old tree. I love this composition because it carries all the bitter and resinous greenery (wormwood, angelica) and tempers it so well with the given sweetness and musk (star anise, fennel). Whether or not this smells like absinthe (and it is certainly a close match) this is a beautiful scent to me in the very sense of the word, with decent staying power and a soft but confident projection. I usually balk at fragrances in this price range and end up settling for the occasional sample to get me by but this may very well be my next Derby. Six stars out of five.
30th January, 2016
Pretty good. Perhaps a bit rich and sweet which kept me from pulling the trigger, hint of vanilla/balsam also contributed to my hesitation. However, it does deliver a very good green-absinthe note (wormwood, licorice, fennel) with a woody dry-down.
18th July, 2015
Absinth opens with a nice harmony of woods and green-coniferous notes with nuances of aniseed, licorice, sandalwood, vetiver, a subtle but warm note of amber, and "something" fairly new to my nose, synthetic but fascinating, a sort of velvety, half anise half white musks note, aromatic and woody but with some floral silkiness all over. The blend is overall pleasantly peculiar, woody but sweet, peppery but almost gourmand, at the same time mellow, transparent, narcotic, with a bold dry resins feel (I thought for a while of those stands selling candies and licorices at street open-air markets). Then it gradually develops a camphoraceous note close to a typical chypre's benzoin note, always with a bold licorice-conifer aftertaste, and the pine note gets a more prominent role. Also the base becomes "greener", in a quite pungent and austere way. The drydown shows finally another twist, becoming a woody-tobacco warm accord with a silky, refined synthetic amber note. In my opinion, one of the nicest Nasomatto around - well, more precisely, basically the only one together with China White.

01st July, 2014
In all honesty, this is a good fragrance, but only for one reason: it demonstrates what can be done with one of the most flexible notes in perfumery - VETIVER. Yes, it can be smoky, mixed with citrus, used as a base and so on, but in my opinion this note is key in Absinth. The fragrance overall is meant to capture the naughty nature, or rather the forbidden aspect of a strong alcoholic drink. It does it beautifully by using vetiver as the dominant note.
Is this a fragrance though worth splashing out on? Well, yes if that's your cup of tea, but by no means is this an essential purchase for any serious fragrance enthusiast. There are plenty of vetivers out there that can do better. This stuff is strong. A 30 ml bottle will last, so don't be put off by cost and size, but do sample this one extensively first.
09th January, 2014
Light take on absinthe

I was expecting a little more depth and darkness, but to my nose this was a lighter, refreshing, and just slightly sweet take on its theme. The herbal edge only suggests mischief - no hysteria or madness here. Very pleasant, but surprisingly fleeting for a pricey EdP. Good for a wet fall, but would need a heavier base and a touch of darkness for winter. Also, this is easily unisex.

16th October, 2013

Add your review of Absinth

Shop for Absinth products online

Search Amazon for Absinth

Member images of Absinth

There are no member images of Absinth yet. Why not be the first?