Bois de Aoud / Original Aoud (2007)
by Montale

Bois de Aoud / Original Aoud information

Year of Launch2007

HouseMontale
PerfumerPierre Montale

About Bois de Aoud / Original Aoud

Bois de Aoud / Original Aoud is a shared / unisex perfume by Montale. The scent was launched in 2007 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Pierre Montale

Bois de Aoud / Original Aoud fragrance notes

Reviews of Bois de Aoud / Original Aoud

I like this. It's got that signature Montale oud, so there's that weird rubbery chemical medicinal smell, that creepy abandoned hospital odor that you either love or hate. Bois De Aoud tones it down by mixing it with a rich, creamy wood base, which takes a lot of the edge off. There's a lot of black pepper in there as well as a hit of saffron that comes through more after the oud dies down. Given a few hours, as AndyMan32 says, it ends up as fairly unadorned black pepper for a while, before a dark green resin smell sneaks in underneath.

In a world where most of the perfumes sold as ouds are actually either saffron, birch tar, or cheap aquatic chemicals, I appreciate Montale for keeping it real...
25th October, 2015
Unique blend of Aoud and Wood

I have never smelled any fragrance similar to this in my 14 year perfume obssession history.

Strong oud and strong wood note.

Not for the faint of heart. Can't see this being something that attracts the opposite sex. More for personal use, which is fine with me.

Because of how unique this scent is, it is one of the few Montales that I keep going back to more often in my rotation of scents. May be best for colder months.

While some say it is good for a base in blending with other scents, I prefer the way it is.

Pros: lots of synthetic aoud and strong wood, addicting
Cons: May not be wife friendly

30th May, 2013
This fragrance starts of smelling EXACTLY like those urinal cakes they put in men's urinals to keep the smell down. Cedar, pine, some antiseptic chemical, Awful Dry down is just as bad. Longevity and projection food, but that isn't a plus with this fragrance.
14th August, 2012 (last edited: 19th October, 2012)
I LOVE the Montale house oud accord. This one is different, although it's clearly related in the top notes. The heart and drydown are pretty far afield.

Soft, woody, and nutty are good descriptions. What it really smells like to me is an old boiler-type humidifier. Even if you patiently clean off the scale that forms on these devices, there's still a humid, mildewy kind of odor that eventually comes to dominate the steam. I've replaced several humidifiers because of this issue, and I don't think I'd pay money to reproduce the effect by wearing Montale Original Aoud.
13th March, 2010
I tried a sample of this once and I thought I like it so I bought a bottle. Then I tried the sample again, a second, and third time... it is regrettable. The aoud is OK but in three minutes, when it dries down, all that's left is a simple, one-dimensional note, a solution of black pepper. Solution of black pepper. I smell black pepper in rain water, left out in the summer sun for a couple of weeks, the kind of thing you'd typically find mosquitoes flying around. No, it's not nice. I haven't opened the bottle but after I tried the sample 3 more times I might just give the bottle away.
22nd July, 2009
An exceptionally smooth and creamy oud fragrance. Simple, gentle, to the point, and charming. Not at all like the other Montale oud fragrances I've tried.

If you're unused to oud, don't judge this until the top notes have burnt off - they are disturbingly reminiscent of rubber gloves AND cream cheese. This initial quirk is more than made up for by many hours of mellow oud goodness.

01st April, 2009

Add your review of Bois de Aoud / Original Aoud

Shop for Bois de Aoud / Original Aoud products online

Shop for Bois de Aoud / Original Aoud at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Bois de Aoud / Original Aoud

Member images of Bois de Aoud / Original Aoud

There are no member images of Bois de Aoud / Original Aoud yet. Why not be the first?

Features relating to Bois de Aoud / Original Aoud