Un Jardin Après La Mousson (2008)
by Hermès

Un Jardin Après La Mousson information

Year of Launch2008

HouseHermès
PerfumerJean-Claude Ellena

About Un Jardin Après La Mousson

The third fragrance in Hermès' Jardin series, following Un Jardin en Mediterannée and Un Jardin sur le Nil.

The name means 'A garden after the monsoon', and the bottle is blue/green.

Un Jardin Après La Mousson fragrance notes

Reviews of Un Jardin Après La Mousson

Before the Light - Penleigh Boyd - 1921
03rd April, 2017
Here and now in (almost) 2017, it's easy to forget that when Mousson came out, melon perfumes were very much a mainstream cliche and were fairly loathed by serious perfume people. I'd argue that Mousson was probably the best of the thousands that were churned out at the time, but there are a LOT of old bad reviews out there because of all this.

So what does it smell like? To me, mostly black pepper and a fresh, vegetal cucumber, along with that round aquatic 00's fake melon. There are some artificial greens in there, as well as some cilantro and a nice white flowers accord that classes things up.

I've always liked Mousson for its bright and deceptively complex mix of wood, spice, flowers, and greens. I have a bottle and find it useful as a scent that won't offend anybody without being cliched or dumb. That being said, I can see how chypre enthusiasts or lovers of complicated classics can find Mousson kind of dumb, though I'd argue that it's actually quite multi-layered. Thumbs up.
15th December, 2016
Salutation.

This is my first Favorite from HERMES.For me it is stuning blend of Woody and Spicy.It is definitely Modern.Top notes is very spicy&Fresh to my nose.Like surge of Freshness blowing!

In my opinion it is more masculine than feminine however it concern ou your chemistry.I really like this one simply because it is so versatile.Makes me feel Dive in pool in a HOT day.

A casual fragrance and also it would be a safe choice on job interviews.Pure balance and in one word a Perfect Fresh.

Great SILLAGE and LONGEVITY is Noticeable on my skin.

7.25/10
24th May, 2015
By far the most peculiar among the Jardin’s series, but in my opinion, only partially in a positive meaning. The main “pro” is that this smells undoubtedly way more creative than the others, it’s a really intriguing concept which actually succeeds in recreating the feel of a bracing garden just after a rain storm. Wet woods, wet grass... and – here’s the “con” – a couple of totally unrelated notes which make me wonder what “jardin” has just rained on, precisely. Basically the core accord of this Mousson smells to me as a surreal edible nightmare made with melon ice cream, cucumber and mushrooms. Not joking: it’s precisely and literally what I smell here. I haven’t a clue of what this may be due to, I guess part of this comes from ginger; but besides a nice musky-camphorous sort of “warm” spicy accord, a subtle citrus top note and a vetiver base note, I get that. Melon ice cream, cucumber and porcini mushrooms. Which as you may guess, it’s something none would want to smell of (I hope). The drydown goes a bit better, a bit woodier and drier, but still that’s the smell. So I get the aquatic rendition is really peculiar here, with a sort of spicy-mineral-camphorous-fruity twist, and I get this is by far the most unique and creative among this line, but for me it’s just this close to a nonsense scrubber. Mild thumbs up just because I admit it’s a matter of personal taste and I acknowledge the quality of ingredients and the creativity involved.

5,5-6/10
19th April, 2015 (last edited: 20th April, 2015)
I'm quite new at this, so didn't read any reviews before writing mine down. I'm interested to see that so many detected melon and pepper, which I didn't... however, I did note a hint of burned wood so maybe that was how I translated the pepper. Also was pleased that I picked up on the dryness :) Anyway, my short review:

Goes on warm and dry. First notes were freshly sanded wood and ginger. Maybe a bit of smoke. Later I got some citrus and a bit of soapiness. Overall a very pleasant. light and dry scent.

19th October, 2014
Genre: Chypre

I know I’m swimming against the tide here, but I’m losing patience with Jean-Claude Elléna’s minimalist dogma. Minimalism in art is refreshing when it first appears, but it wears thin very quickly. I think back to minimalist music: the first few pieces by Riley, Reich and Glass that I heard were seductive, novel, and hypnotic. But there’s only so much you can do with two chords and a chug-chug pulse, and before the 1980s were out it all sounded the same to me.

I’m reaching the same point with Elléna’s "Jardin" and Hermèssence scents for Hermès. While his colleague Bertrand Duchaufour has shown he can do depth, richness, and complexity with fragrances like Méchant Loup and Jubilation XXV, Emperor Elléna’s compositions become ever more slender, and I fear that he’s now getting very close to naked. Un Jardin Après la Mousson is a case in point.

This latest “Jardin” series entry starts out as a shockingly trite aquatic melon thing. In fact, the dominant top note smells exactly like nasty pink watermelon hard candy – you know, the kind that comes wrapped in watermelon pattern cellophane. An attempt at redemptive sophistication comes quickly in the form of a bitter-crisp pink peppercorn note. I thought pink peppercorn was interesting when it showed up a couple of years ago in the top notes of Amouage’s Reflection Man, but everybody’s doing it now, and it’s frankly beginning to get old. A few more minutes into its evolution Un Jardin Après la Mousson reveals a potent and aggressively synthetic sharp woody note. And in true recent Elléna fashion, that’s it.

I waited a few hours for something else to happen, but it didn’t. The accord that Un Jardin Après la Mousson scent arrives at would make a nice shower gel, but the thought of spending $60 on a bottle to smell like this makes me giggle. Un Jardin Après la Mousson is both simple and very loud; a combination of attributes which in humans I equate with idiocy. As a final insult, the synthetics at its core are extremely persistent, and I found the stuff very hard to wash off once I’d grown (very, very) tired of it.

Sometimes less really is just, well, less.
06th July, 2014

Add your review of Un Jardin Après La Mousson

Shop for Un Jardin Après La Mousson products online

Search Amazon for Un Jardin Après La Mousson

Member images of Un Jardin Après La Mousson

There are no member images of Un Jardin Après La Mousson yet. Why not be the first?

Features relating to Un Jardin Après La Mousson