Sycomore (new) (2008)

PerfumerJacques Polge
PerfumerChristopher Sheldrake
Parent CompanyWertheimer

About Sycomore (new)

Part of Les Exclusifs range. A different fragrance to one of the same name launched in 1930.

Sycomore (new) fragrance notes

Reviews of Sycomore (new)

Got a tester of this in Vegas from the Chanel shop. It smells beautiful, but almost too fleeting.
Longevity is good, I could smell it on and on my clothes the next day, but projection was weak.
15th July, 2017
An interesting scent. It is not what I would expect from Chanel; I've only ever known their older perfumes such as No 5, 19, and 22.

I like this blend of woodsy notes, in that it isn't like so many others I have tried in more recent days. I get the vetiver, tobacco, juniper, cypress, and pepper notes. The violet note comes later on, for me. I do not detect any aldehydes or sandalwood. That is unusual for me. I can nearly always pick out those. Very well made!

I may have to try Chanel's other exclusifs...
18th May, 2017
I love the edp version of Sycomore. The vetiver is beautiful and floats around with maybe cypress on my skin for about six hours. The opening through the second hour is my favourite part. It seems like the sillage is fairly close to my skin, but someone commented on my scent today, so I will say it has a moderate sillage. I cannot compare it to the old edt Sycomore. It does not matter if it is different the the old version, because I do not have access to the edt.
21st March, 2017 (last edited: 04th April, 2017)
Wake up and smell the vetiver!

That's what I did this morning when I put Chanel's Sycamore on. It's a straight shot of vetiver with some juniper thrown in for good measure. This smells really nice. A powder vibe sets in as this dries down, but it's not problematic at all. I'm going to try and pick up the cypress in the next few wears, but so far, I'm getting, vetiver, vetiver, vetiver, a little juniper, and the a for mentioned powdery note. This is a classy fragrance. Transparent, fragrant, well blended, and just plain excellent. It is full bottle worthy for sure, but it's a bit on the pricey side. I would love to add it to my collection however, one day...
19th March, 2017
15 November 2016

I just received my bottle of Sycomore EDP today. I purchased it on Chanel's website.

Having not tried Sycomore EDT previously, I had no preconceived thoughts about this fragrance, other than having read that the EDT is more smokey and the EDP is more woodsy.
In other words, this is an unbiased review.

I have been wearing Sycamore for about 7 hours now. I must say, Sycomore smells AMAZING!

It is a dark woodsy fragrance, with fresh green and a warm medium smoky scent. The scents seem to switch back and forth between the vetiver and cypress, with a slightly spiced tobacco and juniper poking out here and there.

Though it is listed as unisex, this is seems to be more of a masculine scent. Due to its refined scent, I would gauge this best for age 25+.

With two sprays, the sillage was about 6 feet (2 meters).
If you feel like wearing this to the office, I would suggest limiting yourself to only one spray, as it is nicely potent.

As I said, I have been wearing Sycamore for about 7 hours now. The scent had a really strong sillage for about four hours, and then mellowed out a bit. It is not as potent now, but is is still detectable from about 3' (1 meter) away.

Note: I read on the Chanel website that all the EDTs from the "Les Exclusifs de Chanel" line have been reformulated into an EDP. The only one that was not reformulated, was Les Exclusifs de Chanel Eau de Cologne.
16th November, 2016 (last edited: 26th May, 2017)
Yesterday I finally tested a Sycomore EdT sample gifted me by a kind and generous fellow fragrance lover (thank you again!), and I wanted to share my impressions which may be more helpful to the ladies than they will be to the gentlemen, but who knows? The gentlemen may also find what I have to say useful.

Upon initial application, the top notes were quite strong and projected quite well. I think they were helped in this respect by a soupçon of aldehydes. They were very green and woody; however, the woodiness was not the woodiness I expected. Instead of the woody trunks of the cypress and sandalwood trees I expected, I smelt the green foliage of the cypress and what must have been the vetiver note, but I detected no sandalwood whatsoever. I also detected a lot of smokiness and possibly pink pepper. I am not familiar enough with the pink pepper note to be sure if I smelt it or not. The top notes dried down quite quickly as one might expect. Within thirty minutes, insofar as I could tell, as there was no one around to ask, Sycomore dried down to a complete skin scent on me. Overall, I found it quite linear.

Sycomore's greenness and smokiness persisted into the deep dry down, but I was never able to perceive any floral note(s) in it whatsoever. About three hours later, I reapplied it and had the same experience as the first time. I continued to press my nose against my wrists every so often over the next four to five hours to see if I could detect anything else, but I was unable to discern anything else. Sycomore EdT persisted on my skin for a solid four to five hours but only as a skin scent. Again, I wished I had had someone nearby who could have offered me some input on the longevity and projection. In the end, I found I liked the deep, deep dry down of Sycomore best as the greenness finally began to fade away a bit.

Now, as to the question of whether or not Sycomore is a "masculine" scent or not, I would argue that it is not a masculine scent per se. However, if I had not known anything about Sycomore in advance of smelling it, and if I had closed my eyes and smelt it on someone near me, I would have guessed I was smelling it on a man. I think it would definitely be attractive on a man. Yet, it is nevertheless "unisex" as I could see a woman wearing it as well, but I cannot conceive of a venue/occasion where I personally would wear Sycomore except perhaps if I were camping in the woods and wanted to blend in with the natural ambience of my surroundings.

I spent a lot of time yesterday smelling and thinking about Sycomore EdT, and in my humble opinion, Sycomore has Sheldrake's signature all over it. It smells much, much more like a Lutens's fragrance than a Chanel fragrance, and I had to wonder what did Polge contribute to it? I do not detect any influence from Polge aside perhaps from the fleeting, light aldehydes in the top notes. If I smelt Sycomore at random and did not know that it came from Chanel and had to guess from which house it had come, I would have guessed Serge Lutens.

Mind you, I still consider myself to be a beginner in this hobby, but these were my impressions of Sycomore, and I can see why out of all the Les Exclusifs Sycomore is the one most beloved by men. Would I enjoy this on the men around me? Yes, I believe I would do. Would I wear Sycomore? Well, I think I might wear it once in a while if I had it in my collection, but I doubt I would reach for it very often.

Many people describe Sycomore as an Autumnal fragrance, but I would not associate it with any season in particular. I think it could be worn all year. I read one review in which the reviewer said she initially smelt both No. 22 and Sycomore and opted for No. 22, but years later, she tired of No. 22 and fell in love with Sycomore. For me, it would be the other way around. I cannot conceive of ever growing weary of the gorgeous No. 22, and equally, I cannot conceive of ever falling in love with Sycomore EdT. That being said, I have yet to test the new EdP which according to one commentator is vastly different from the EdT and is more "feminine." I may like the EdP much more. It remains to be seen, but I plan to test the EdP at the soonest opportunity.

05th October, 2016

Add your review of Sycomore (new)

Shop for Sycomore (new) products online

Search Amazon for Sycomore (new)

Member images of Sycomore (new)