Natori (2009)

PerfumerCaroline Sabas
Parent CompanyPerfumania Holdings > Parlux
Parent Company at launchParlux

About Natori

Natori is a feminine perfume by Josie Natori. The scent was launched in 2009 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Caroline Sabas

Natori fragrance notes

Reviews of Natori

I became aware of this perfume after searching Fragrantica for my sister's favorite, Avon's Natori. I thought it strange there was another obscure perfume with the same name, and found myself re-visiting the page here, wondering how it smelled. It just looked so... exotic.

Exotic, it is! And dark. Perhaps a little racy. Definitely a nighttime scent (if not a boudoir scent!). The scent and the bottle together seem suggestive, and definitely evoke female sexuality. The rose is soft and feminine - somehow understated despite being prominently featured. The plum, though, wow - very delicious, especially when paired with that sultry ylang-ylang! Lastly, the aldehydes really do provide a fizzy, effervescent quality. Mmm... smoldering! Now, it doesn't seem to last terribly long, but, it's a fantastic blend. Another plus is that doesn't seem terribly popular or well-known, unlike many of those dark, sultry scents out there. So, it's a unique scent. It's also very affordable. However...

The bottle design is the absolute worst I've encountered yet. I don't know where to start! First - the bottle leaks. I bought a 1.7oz bottle, and 25% was gone due to leaking during shipment, despite careful packaging. It appears to be leaking one of the small circular "windows" at the bottom of the bottle. It also leaks from the top. Perhaps this is my fault for trying so hard to get the cap off! I didn't know quite where to pull from, and I tried to be gentle.. but the cap is heavy, and fits tightly, causing an awkward tug-of-war when trying to decap.

Sadly, there are yet more bottle complaints (sorry!): The cap seems dipped in some kind of paint to make it black. Because my bottle came leaking, the wetness compromised that black paint on the cap, leaving weird wrinkles and bubbles in the texture. After gently wiping my damp bottle with a tissue, some of the purple paint started coming off in small flecks. The paint on the cap is also flecking off. I've been as gentle as I could with this bottle, but no matter how cautious, I'm ruining it! Which is a shame because it's quite a lovely bottle design otherwise.
25th April, 2015
This was a sleeper for me. Nice an' all. But I now appreciate Natori. Instead of a fruity musk for teens, it is a musky plum for adult women. It's a subdued woody plum on a very elegant rich base. The aldehydes make it sing and the musk makes it purr. It seems like an excellent accompaniment to lingere..though I wear it in day light hours too to nice effect. Bravo whoever put it together...they've done a pretty darn good job of it. This would make a great gift. I think most women into perfume would like! It is classy elegant but with some depth..and really nothing else is quite like this.

02nd September, 2010

My initial impression is this is one thick, sweet perfume ! I don't get aldehydes . A lovely silky mish mash of strong florals and ripe plum though the plum doesn't seem to be fore front on me .A wee touch of powder ,lots of amber. This is very floral gourmand to me. Natori makes clothes and ladies' lingerie I believe . It's a plush perfume, soft, rounded ,tenacious and softens after the intiial blow out of sweetness.
It's not unique enough for me to want a full bottle of but it's good juice.
I probably love the bottle more than anything in regards to the whole packaging. Tactile, inviting.

11th May, 2010
What a pretty fragrance. Soft, not a punch you in the face at first application type floral. Graceful is a great way of describing it. I could smell the rose and peony. Faded quickly though. It's a scent I'd readily wear if gifted, but not necessarily something I'd rush out to buy since I don't find it overly original.
23rd April, 2010
I had a sample of Natori and fell in love have so far ordered two bottles, it is an amazing fragrance, totally delightful and wonderful
12th October, 2009
Asha Show all reviews
Natori Natori

Notes: aldehydes, rose, plum, ylang-ylang, purple peony, night-blooming jasmine, patchouli, amber and satin musk accord (from Now Smell This)

Milky aldehydes, brandied cherries, rose and amber are the notes that I notice most in Natori. It is a beautifully composed, rich feminine floral with one foot in the classical genre and another in the modern day. Several different fragrances came to mind as I experienced the development. Natori's creamy, aldehydic rose is evocative of YSL Rive Gauche. The boozy aspect and rose-amber drydown reminds me of Chanel Coco's liquored floral heart and spicy sweet finish. The deep drydown is is incredibly enjoyable with something that seems a bit like tart rose-hip preserves and very subtle vanilla powder notes, not unlike By Kilian's Liaisons Dangereuses. The overall effect is reminiscent of Chanel 31 Rue Cambon but without the soured fruit.

There is nothing really innovative about Natori, and it most definitely hits all the right buttons for a modernized take on a traditional fragrance form. I was wondering if I should stop comparing it to other fragrances and simply enjoy it on its own merits. On the other hand, there are days when any of the comparison fragrances I mentioned are not quite right--Rive Gauche may be too dated, Coco too loud, Liaisons Dangereuses too expensive and 31 Rue Cambon a bit off-putting, depending on skin chemistry. In this sense, Natori finds a comfortable intersection of "just right" that makes it an incredibly wearable, delicate but substantial, lovely and feminine fragrance.
20th September, 2009