Aqua Allegoria Laurier-Réglisse (2008)
    by Guerlain

Reviews of Aqua Allegoria Laurier-Réglisse

Showing 1 to 6 of 7 reviews.

aniliini's avatar
    aniliini
    Finland Finland

This would be a wonderful fragrance if longevity were better. I smell crushed leaves and flower stems, very green and bright like working in a greenhouse but no staying power whatsoever. I usually spray my clothes and this way I can still smell this at lunch time.

08 February, 2012

Asha's avatar
    Asha

Guerlain Aqua Allegoria Laurier-Reglisse

Notes: Bay Leaf, Licorice, Amber, Violet, Bergamot, Orange Blossom (from Sephora.com)

The first ten minutes of Laurier-Reglisse are quite scrumptious--blended citrus, petitgrain, white florals, vanilla, and nondescript synthetic sandalwood with a vaguely watery quality that provides freshness without being one of the much maligned aquatic genre. Despite the name, I do not smell any laurel or bay, but there is an herbal tone to the fragrance. Unfortunately, as the appealing citrus notes start to fade, the "fresh" ingredient starts to smell a bit of ozone, and is rather poorly placed in relation to LR's green-herbal context. Soon after, the sandalwood takes on a plastic hairspray quality that I have noticed in some other fragrances, notably very cheap drugstore offerings. Thankfully the plastic and ozone settles eventually, and the base contains more pleasant levels of the "fresh" note along with the faint woods and an ubiquitous clean musk. LR is a better fragrance than Chanel Cristalle Eau Verte for green freshness that is on the synthetic side. However, there are much better green fragrances to be had, including some of the previously discontinued Aqua Allegorias. As with most of the AA's, LR is short lived, with minimal sillage, and is suitable for either men or women.

07 September, 2009

ubuandibeme's avatar
    ubuandibeme

Mikeperez has so perfectly described my perceptions of this AA (and my disappointment) I can only say: DITTO

15 July, 2009

mikeperez23's avatar
    mikeperez23

I'm sad to report I'm somewhat disappointed in this one. Partly due to my preconceived notions about what a Guerlain bay leaf/licorice scent should smell like - and partly due to its similarities to other scents I've smelled before.

The top notes remind me instantly of a sugared cocktail drink (something pastel colored, mixed with vodka in a high stemmed cocktail glass...shaken not stirred). I've smelled this before, I thought. It took me a while to figure it out - this is the house note (base) for most of the fragrances by Fresh. I have owned a few Fresh fragrances (Sugar Lychee, Pomegranate Anise, Cannabis Rose) and that opening sugary, fruity, transparent combination is unmistakable.

It is a scent that can be easy to like - but to me smells very 'done'. The two times I sprayed it on (in Sephora and at home) elicited a 'you smell good' response from others around me. You think that would make it easy to give this scent a good review. But I expected a scent much more complex and less 'fruity floral' (like every other scent in Sephora')!

The scent tones down it's opening 'sugar' note slightly when the middle/base notes arrive, but by then the bay leaf (not very spicy, to this bay leaf lover) and a very fruit flavored licorice appear, rather than the black licorice accord utilized so well by other fragrances. Neither is enough to keep the scent from teetering gently into shower gel fragrance territory. I get absolutely no amber, and the violet arrives at the very end (I detected it by sniffing my arm up close).

If you admire the scent of licorice scented, sugary cocktails perhaps AALR is for you.

I personally, expected much more from the house of Guerlain.

03 October, 2008

germanomio's avatar
    germanomio
    France France

a very disappointing one
    where is the reglisse and where is the laurier ?
    the fragrance is confuse, as a sketch of what it should have been (or what i thought it would have been)

neutral because it's Guerlain and it's my favorite House (all their releases can't be masterpieces...)

08 September, 2008

JaimeB's avatar
    JaimeB

A very pleasant, eau-de-cologne style fragrance, like most of the series. This one is especially nice in the drydown, with a citrus-violet-green-amber vibe that persists rather well. The early stages of the scent tend to be a bit "pushy," by which I mean a little too sharp and slightly lush, perhaps even a bit "feminine" in the conventional parlance. That is brief, however, and really easily tolerable, when you consider where the scent ends up. This is very fresh and green-leafy, nice for warm days and upbeat times.

18 August, 2008