Ambre Fétiche (2007)
    by Annick Goutal

Ambre Fétiche Fragrance notes

Frankincense, Labdanum, Benzoin, Iris, Vanilla, Geranium, Patchouli, Russian Leather

Ambre Fétiche information

Part of the 'Les Orientalistes' trio alongside, Myrrhe Ardente and Encens Flamboyant.

Shop for Ambre Fétiche products online

Reviews of Ambre Fétiche

Showing 1 to 6 of 21 reviews.
    positive 13 Positive Reviewsneutral8 Neutral Reviewsnegative No Negative Reviews

Colin Maillard's avatar
    Colin Maillard

Bold, pungent, gloomy opening with a massive decadent incense feel on dark, opulent, dry amber. A macabre fairytale, the nocturnal side of Annick Goutal - just like in Encens Flamboyant. Weird and almost disturbing animalic notes flounder below like crawling underdogs on a roasted caramel base. Balsamic notes, still heavily smoky and somber. After a while you get the leathers and the dry, earthy accord of patchouli and labdanum, still with a bold and persistent incense note. A nice take on amber, a bit messy perhaps, but still interesting. I just love how Annick Goutal can give you these nocturnal, funereal, gloomy, animalic scents, and at the same time some of the most lovely, springy, delicate, impressionist and oniric scents around (Nuit etoilée, Songes, Mandragore...) - always with her subtle, unexplicable, signature fairy tale feel, which can be, in turn, kind of cozy or kind of scary.

7,5/10

13 April, 2014 (Last Edited: 17 April, 2014)

gmstrack's avatar
    gmstrack

Chain smoking in the garage

Ambre Fétiche by Annick Goutal, just like the name implies, is not for the faint of heart. Maybe I’m influenced by the name, but I’ve tried AF on several times, and it just keeps delivering. At first, AF reminded me of vintage Shalimar minus the citrus with extra leather and incense. Then I picked up the rubber note, which isn’t listed. To me, the rubber is so pervasive, that it makes me wonder if I’m supposed to be picking up the "Russian" leather instead. By the way, what exactly is "Russian" leather accord? Anyway, the incense, leather, and rubber combine to create a garage effect. Yes, AF is a couple of mechanics wearing Shalimar and chain smoking. In other words, AF is a very atmospheric fragrance, like Avignon: it seems to envelope one in a cloud of fragrance that could be originating from the surroundings instead of melding with the skin. (Thankfully, the 15 mL splash bottle is the perfect amount of AF for me and I will probably reach for this during the winter months.)

Final verdict: AF is good, but not one of my go to fragrances. I’ll just stick with Bulgari Black, thank you.

06 July, 2013

iivanita's avatar
    iivanita
    Croatia Croatia

ill stay neutral here. i am not amber fun, but this is XXL amber scent, the only question do you like such potent dry and bitter amber- leathery scent?
    it opens up sweetk creamy, nice to my nose , then it goes so bitter-dry heart(too much of benzoin) that i hate , the drydown again is more accaptable to me and the scent lasts 3 days at least!, so strong that my mobile phone took over the scent from the blotter! cant imagine how long it would take to use up 50ml bottle!

24 October, 2012

Darvant's avatar
    Darvant

What in my opinion does defines the initial Ambre Fetiche's "scrawled" mess is a rough and averagely dry (for a while at least) combination of spices (i think cinnamon overall), light smoky frankincense, labdanum, dry fruits (plums?) and dusty ( styrax) amber. Some woodsy resins lurk around in the middle of the sweet tornado. The burst is originally shocking in its salty-sweet (yet fruity) dissonance but in a while its kind of doping dirtiness starts to crab you for the throat as the alcohol's need does with the alcohol dependents under abstinence. In this phase the sweetness, still notable, bursts and fades a touch in a sort of mild-opaque olfactory alternance  and the perfume is a bit decadent in its slightly bitter and resinous undertone simil-beeswax, in its play of lights and shades and due to a touch of bergamot and patchouli (i suppose). Many micro particles of cream, incense, spices and moss keep on swirling around in an even more increasing  milky-powdery sweet way till when  a subtle sophisticated floral-musky accent plays its game leaning the juice over a more feminine side. The juice holds on being powdery because of the benzoin, the powdery-detergent  effect from iris, white woods and some incense still lingering around. The final touch of leather whereof many talk about is a pattern of final suede that emerges when the molecular milky dust starts a bit to recede and a more defined floral spark soars in the air. Another ambery fragrance whereof i appreciate the alternance of the different stages in its long trip. Just the dry down is fully satisfactory to me but at this point the lasting power has finally exausted its energy.

01st August, 2012

Sunsetspawn's avatar
    Sunsetspawn

Extremely brutal amber and leather. It really is that simple.

02 April, 2012

blood-orange's avatar
    blood-orange

Incense is becoming a real love of mine. The more I experience it in fragrances, the more devoted to it I become.

Ambre Fetiche is all about the incense. Not only is it the scent; it's the ash, the smoke and the stuffiness of it all, brought together in one big bottle of harmonious love.

This fragrance is what I had dreamed Ambre Gris by Balmain to smell like. Rich, vanillary, smokey and exotic. It is becoming rather difficult for me to choose between Myrrhe Ardente and this fragrance as my next purchase.

Please don't expect this fragrance to be shy, Ambre Fetiche is the opposite. It wants to be loud and proud. This fragrance is a real head-turner.

The sillage and lasting strength is absolutely incredible. Whoever said that Annick Goutal fragrances don't last, must be mad. Especially during Winter, this fragrance will last, and last and last.

I would find it incredibly difficult to resist any man wearing this fragrance. Hell, I'd find even it difficult to resist myself if I was wearing it too. I feel like such a bad-girl wearing this, and I must say that I like this new-found me.

Do beware that I am one for strong, bold, in-your-face type fragrances, that are not always to people's tastes. The trick is to avoid overdoing the applications. Regardless of whether or not people like Ambre Fetiche, they will absolutely hate it if you go overboard.

22 March, 2012