Myrrhe Ardente (2007)

PerfumerIsabelle Doyen
Parent CompanyAmore Pacific
Parent Company at launchStarwood Capital Group > Taittinger > Louvre Groupe

About Myrrhe Ardente

Part of the 'Les Orientalistes' trio alongside, Ambre Fétiche and Encens Flamboyant.

Myrrhe Ardente fragrance notes

Reviews of Myrrhe Ardente

Ugggghhhhh...almost a scrubber. Whoever categorized this as an Incense Fragrance when packaging a recent sampler of "Incense Fragrances" that I ordered really missed the mark.

Perhaps if the anticipated myrrh was center stage, well then...incense perhaps. But OMG...what IS this? Root beer...I wish. Myrrh...none to speak of (not to my nose).

Only scents I detect are a sour benzoin and Gaiac wood. On me, this fragrance smells like I am camping in the woods for days (un-bathed) when I finally trip over a discarded rubber tire and a wood log, promptly falling face first into the ivy and dirt ground underneath me.

Awful. Fortunate for me (and those around me), the fragrance has little longevity and therefore, didn't linger.
10th May, 2016
Sweet Myrrh...

A balmy, sweet type of Myrrh perfume which I can detect Amber and Benzoin as the main notes. Tonka Bean and Guaiac Wood add to the composition, along with a slight hint of Vetiver. The note which really makes this enjoyable, and which brings the "sweetness" to this fragrance, is the Beeswax. It gives a syrupy, honey like quality and I like it very much.

This is a delightful fragrance! Unisex, but would smell gorgeous on a woman in my opinion.
03rd January, 2016
rbaker Show all reviews
A nice but restrained myrrh in the opening mixed with a benzoin note that underpins the initial phase if this scent. Later a pleasant gaiac evolves that nerges into the base note if a very well made beeswax, with a gentle and natural vanilla adding a touch of sweetness that is neither too strong nor in any way cloying. This good balance is probably aided by a whiff of vetiver freshness. A pleasant, elegant and well-blended composition that is spite of the comparable low number of constituent notes develops sufficiently to be interesting whilst being well structured. An unobtrusive incense fragrance and a good office scent for winter days. Performance is excellent with moderate sillage, adequate projection and a phantastic longevity of eleven hours on my skin.
09th September, 2014
I spent most of my childhood wondering what root beer or sarsparilla would taste like. Without it being a reference base I can appreciate the beauty of Myrrhe Ardente for what it is. Hickory stick for one. English toffee is another. Fifty five years ago My Father awaited his Xmas parcels from London. We got British smarties (essentially M&Ms) and he got a burnt toffee from post war Britian. Then there's Kauri gum, or beach amber which has this delicate resin smell. I collect beach amber on my walks and Myrrhe Ardente is like wearing a whiff of it. The gum is, after all, the resin from giant trees burnt down 2,500 years ago, Agathis Australis.

It's gorgeous, unisex, wondrous and addictive, as someone else pointed out.

Discontinued, so I will probably buy a small back up
25th July, 2014
I had to get some of this, having read such a range of reviews. It's amazing - layers of changing notes that, as another reviewer has noted, vary each time you spray. I can smell liquorice, tomato leaf, mint, resin, and honey at first, then they all join hands to leave a smokey, smokey incense, cool and spicy at the same time. Love it.
23rd May, 2014
Top: Myrrh, tonka beans, benzoin
Heart: Guaiac wood, myrrh, vetiver
Base: Beeswax

In the official Annick Goutal website, Myrrhe ardente is described as follows:

"A heady emanation composed of benzoin, vanilla tonka pods, almost balmy and devilishly addictive; essence of gaiac wood, soft and voluptuous; and enveloping and honeyed pure beeswax extract."

This fragrance may seem candyish to some but it is rather dry actually. Myrrh is quite a bitter resin. The benzoin contained in Myrrhe ardente balances and softens the drier and smokier myrrh, vetiver and guaiac wood notes. In the old days, when fumigation was a current therapy, myrrh was very often mixed with benzoin because the fumes of myrrh alone were too unpleasant. The myrrh/benzoin combination works very well in Myrrhe ardente. The tonka beans and honey/beeswax notes slightly sweeten the composition as well without turning it into a cloying gourmand fragrance.

On me, Myrrhe ardente has a weird rubbery smell until the dry-down begins. Then, this odd whiff turns into an intoxicating, slightly smoky, sassafras-like note (I perfectly understand the "root-beer" reference mentioned by fellow reviewers). One of the great characteristics of this unique fragrance is its unbelievable longevity (well over 8 hours, in my personal case). Myrrhe ardente may not be for everyone but it most certainly makes a statement. Two and a half thumbs up!
26th July, 2012

Add your review of Myrrhe Ardente

Shop for Myrrhe Ardente products online

Search Amazon for Myrrhe Ardente

Member images of Myrrhe Ardente

There are no member images of Myrrhe Ardente yet. Why not be the first?