Encens Flamboyant (2007)

PerfumerIsabelle Doyen
Parent CompanyAmore Pacific
Parent Company at launchStarwood Capital Group > Taittinger > Louvre Groupe

About Encens Flamboyant

Part of the 'Les Orientalistes' trio alongside, Myrrhe Ardente and Ambre Fétiche.

Reviews of Encens Flamboyant

Haunting and mysterious -- as long as one doesn't think of it as an incense fragrance. When I first tested this, I was looking for straight frankincense frags like Montal Pure Incense, TF Sahara Noir, and Heely Cardinal. IF to my nose is nothing like these. I tossed my 5ml decant in a corner, dismissing the scent and wondering how it could have "encens" in its name. Yet it nagged at the back of my mind, because I really, really wanted to like it; it felt like something I "should" like.

Having retested it for the past few days, I'm suddenly and deeply infatuated with it. Just purchased a FB. To me - as I mentioned above and cannot stress enough -, the key to appreciating this fragrance is to understand that it is a pine/dark forest scent and NOT an incense perfume.

This has more in common with Imaginary Authors A City on Fire and Lutens Fille en Aguilles than with Avignon, Full Incense, Cardinal, and the like. It falls into the conifer and smoke category. Here, you're walking through a pine forest -- not going to church.

Yet this is not an "outdoor incense" scent either. Jovoy's Liturgie des Heures (one of my favorites, if not my favorite, fragrance) falls into that category, but IF is somehow different than that. Perhaps more raw, a bit more forest-y than LdH. I can't put it into words.

In a nutshell: If you're expecting an incense fragrance, you may be disappointed. But if you're looking for a piney, austere, mysterious yet somehow soothing scent, with maybe, just maybe, a tiny wisp of frankincense far above the treetops: this may be for you.
31st May, 2018 (last edited: 01st June, 2018)
I purchased this for my wife and she isn't sure she likes it. She thinks it smells fumey, like petrol and rubber. I couldn't be happier that she finds it challenging, as now that I've reclaimed it I'm certain it's set to become a massive favourite of mine.

There is little I can add to the positive reviews of this fragrance. It is quite simply one of the best incense fragrances I have ever encountered. Smokey charcoal on a bed of mastic, sage and cardamom. It is sublime!

19th December, 2016
kewart Show all reviews
No, just NO!
I tried a sample of this in bed last night and regretted it straight away. It is a joyless, piney/incense thing that made me feel instantly nauseous. I am afraid I can't imagine a scenario where I would be glad to wear it and it is as far removed from sensuous as it is possible to be.

Update:

I tried this again in the open air (as opposed to under the bed cover!) and it smells much more acceptable. It has a festive, pine forest vibe and lasts well. Give it lots of cold air and it blooms.
18th December, 2016 (last edited: 19th December, 2016)
Encens Flamboyant is gorgeous! It smells exactly like spicy church incense; and also reminds me very much of Gucci Pour Homme; though where I find the Gucci cloying and too heavy, Encens Flamboyant is perfect. It's no less strong than the Gucci, but it's slightly lighter and definitely more elegant.

Perfect for cold weather; I think it would be too heavy for summer.
15th November, 2016
bisby Show all reviews
On me this scent is nothing like what I expected. I was expecting some church like incense, but alas like Colin Maillard excellent notes, I was reminded of old lady. I got a bit of resin or balsamic herb just at first but then a dark old dusty herb like perfume. Way too little incense or maybe incense that has been stored in a drawer for 40 years. Much prefer the sample of Goutal Ambre Fetiche.
15th October, 2016
Annick Goutal Encens Flamboyant, namely an extremely dark take on smoky/burnt resins. Spicy, rubbery-leathery, enigmatic. Completely "deprived of sweetness" on my skin. This juice conjures me vaguely the moldy-smoky-peaty "aroma" of mexican Mezcal. Ideally something in the middle between Norma Kamali Incense, Armani Prive Bois d'Encens and Tom Ford Bois Marocain. The aroma of ash and toasted woods in a mountain campfire under a dark appalling moon. Superb.
13th March, 2016

Add your review of Encens Flamboyant

Shop for Encens Flamboyant products online

Oops! The request was not successful. Make sure you are using a valid AppID for the Production environment.

Member images of Encens Flamboyant

There are no member images of Encens Flamboyant yet. Why not be the first?