Encens Flamboyant (2007)
    by Annick Goutal

Encens Flamboyant Fragrance notes

Frankincense, Pepper, Roseberry, Cardamom, Sage, Nutmeg, Lentisque Absolute, Balsam Fir

Encens Flamboyant information

Part of the 'Les Orientalistes' trio alongside, Myrrhe Ardente and Ambre Fétiche.

Shop for Encens Flamboyant products online

Reviews of Encens Flamboyant

Showing 1 to 6 of 24 reviews.

teardrop's avatar
    teardrop
    England England

l bought this bottle blind at a time when l was feeling the need for an incense fragrance, & spotted it in TK Maxx. lt took me a few wearings to really get into it. At first, l got mainly an overwhelming scent of burning incense, but over time it has revealed its other facets to me. The opening is bright, peppery & lemony, there's woods in the heart along with the incense, & at times in the base l detect something softly animalic.
    This isn't the scent of a damp, musty old church; as others have said, it's more like a cosy log cabin in the woods with a wood fire burning. lts warming, dry feel is particularly comforting on a cold, wet day. Although it appears to settle quite close to the skin & loses the "burnt" vibe around three hours in, others can smell it on me many hours after application, & there's still faint traces on my skin after fourteen hours.
    l can't compare this to the CdG series or the Montale as l haven't tried them, but it became a wardrobe staple for me this past winter, & l'm sure l'll have no trouble finishing the bottle. There may be nothing classically "feminine" about it, & for sure l do love my florals, but for me this burning incense is a satisfying wear nonetheless.

04 April, 2014

Colin Maillard's avatar
    Colin Maillard

This is a weird scent to me. Perhaps one of the weirdest I've ever tried. It has a really strong, evocative, clear "old lady" feel. Not in the sense of great classics which let us daydream about 1930's rich, foreign ladies and countesses; more like an actual, real old grandma, not even that rich or aristocratic. An ordinary, discreet, refined, wizened granny. This is the exact smell you would meet at her place: a bit of a perfume, sure, balsamic pine notes coming from the window, stained ashtrays near the sofa, crochets, dusty furniture and curtains impregnated with the smell of time passing by - the scents she used once, the cigarettes she doesn't smoke anymore. Balsamic and a bit gloomy, or better say, almost funereal.

7,5/10

10th January, 2014 (Last Edited: 05 April, 2014)

gimpy's avatar
    gimpy

Great calming scent

Updated Review: Originally, I couldn't warm up to BE due to the arresting ashy top note. However, I wore this and kept rewearing it. Eventually, that discordant note no longer bothered me. I guess it's like many great scents that take time to come around to.

BE is an excellent calming, if simple, incense-based scent with a huge fir component. I can't stress how great of a fall/winter scent this is for those who do not like the traditionally heavy winter orientals. There is a certain outdoorsy/churchy/medieval vibe with BE. This would pair well with Full Incense during fall/winter.

It is a simple scent with not much evolution, but that is how I prefer incense-based scents. Too many notes and it starts to get away from the concept and point of incense. Very calming and grounding to wear.

Silage is good and longevity is very good (although it becomes close to the skin after 8 hours). I just bought a full bottle of this.

Pros: Original, calming
    Cons: Burnt gunpowder note, simple"

08 September, 2013

Leontion's avatar
    Leontion

Isabel Doyen also created Let Me Play the Lion, another woody incense which is a favourite of mine. Tested side by side, Let Me Play the Lion and Encens Flamboyant are similar, however where LMPTL is sheer and bone dry, Encens Flamboyant is darker, more opaque and the woods evoke the damp darkness of a pine forest floor.

It is resinous, spicy and smokey. I find some incense fragrances to be rather austere and chilly, e.g. CdG Avignon, Passage d'Enfer, Messe de Minuit, whereas the piney, balsamic elements of Encens Flamboyant are warm and enveloping, if not precisely cozy.

20th January, 2013

dougczar's avatar
    dougczar

I enjoy many offerings from Annick Goutal, however this is not in the same league as some of the best in this class. If you want a truly remarkable incense fragrance, go with CdG Avignon, Armani Prive Bois d'Encens, Montale Full Incense, or by Kilian's Incense Oud.
    I find some of the lesser offerings like this one by Annick Goutal to more closely resemble a dirty ashtray than an incense. Not the kindy of "smoky" vibe I am going for.

21st July, 2012

blood-orange's avatar
    blood-orange

Encens Flamboyant is supposed to be the most incensey fragrance in the series, however I'm not feeling it.

This fragrance is much more subtle than Myrrhe Ardente and Ambre Fetiche. Despite its lack of incensey goodness, this fragrance makes up for it with its unique blend of pepper, woods and smoke.

I totally get the 'Christmassy' feel that some reviewers have pointed out. The combination of spice and fir, is like scent recognition for me, it's Christmas in December all over again with every sniff.

In some ways, Encens Flamboyant is musty, but not in a bad way. Its mustiness is what adds to its mystery, like an old, forgotten room, locked up for decades.

Encens Flamboyant often strikes me as being an aromatic, as I sometimes find myself dazing off into space when I casually smell it every now and then.

Although I do find this fragrance unisex, I'm more likely to recommend this fragrance to men more than women, however I haven't managed to pin-point what makes this fragrance more masculine than feminine to my nose.

Being mostly dry, yet occasionally musty and damp, Encens Flamboyant is a very unique fragrance indeed. It is certainly worth checking out, even if you don't think it would be your type of scent. These Les Orientalistes fragrances are masterpieces that will hopefully be sold for many years to come.

22 March, 2012