Sublime Balkiss (2008)

Average Rating: 3.5

Based on 52 ratings

Sublime Balkiss Fragrance Notes

Sublime Balkiss information

Sublime Balkiss is a unisex fragrance by Different Company. The scent was launched in 2008

Reviews of Sublime Balkiss

Showing 1 to 6 of 7 reviews.

Way Off Scenter's avatar

Genre: Floral

Sublime Balkiss opens on an crisp green fruity accord that smells like an herbed grapefruit, but which the published pyramid claims to be bergamot, berries, and currant. Whatever you call it, it’s lovely, and I’m glad it persists for a time on my skin. Next out of the stall is a light, dry floral accord, still kissed by a hint of tart-bitter herbs and grassy notes, and all the more appealing for it. This central statement is well-blended, but rose and violet are both detectable as single notes within the blend.

Sublime Balkiss is highly transparent, as befitting of a scent from a perfumer with the surname Elléna, but it is at the same time relatively potent. As a result, it garners attention without becoming grating or oppressive. The floral blend slowly loses its sharp, green edge and becomes more conventionally “perfumey” as it wears. This may be because the rose outlasts most of the other floral notes, so that the structure shifts slowly away from abstraction and towards a single recognizable flower smell. Whatever the case, the transparency remains, and that keeps Sublime Balkiss from devolving into a stuffy, old-fashioned rose soliflore.

The endgame is a rose and patchouli drydown, one much subtler and less earthy, I might mention, than Voleur de Roses or Bond No. 9’s West Side. The cocoa in the scent pyramid may be a nod to Christopher Sheldrake’s much commented upon chocolate/patchouli accord for Serge Lutens’s Borneo 1834, but if it’s actually in there somewhere it is too faint for me to detect. While I regret that Divine Balkiss ends up much more conventional than it begins, I have to commend it as a very well-composed and well-constructed scent.

03 July, 2014

iivanita's avatar

Croatia Croatia

I can not differentiate it among so many other floral-fruity green scents, which are not my type.....like calyx
    I don't like a scent that reminds of water and greenery:-) , ok only in the summer, and this opens exactly like this, the colours i associate to it is white-green and just a touch of something fruity, but very abstract adds some violet colour to it

Though for those who love this type of fresh, clean , green floral scents i would recomend it! Because its very nicely crafted, very sublime as the name suggests, very sophisticated, for that type of scent that may go synthetic, and those are major things that make it stand out . To someone this may be enough!

I want more action:) this one is too gentle

21st January, 2013

gimmegreen's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

This reminds me of that part of my childhood, when, bored on the sports field under the baking Indian sun, I’d be tempted by the cool shade of the abundant mahua tree (madhuca longifolia). The scent of the soft and creamy yellow mahua fruit – a bit overripe, somewhat fermented, intoxicating – invited daydreaming and languor. So does Sublime Balkiss, creating its own headspace of sweet and pulpy indulgence. There’s a whiff of burnt sugar if you sniff too close which can be slightly jarring, but there’s also a suggestion of leather in the base which is just right. A surprising Different Company offering – and the one I’m most tempted by.

14 July, 2012

blood-orange's avatar

Sublime Balkiss has brought tears to my eyes, tears of joy. I applied this to my wrist, and the moment I inhaled, I was transported back to when I was 13 and saying goodbye to the first boy I ever loved.

It was a strange occurrence that took a while for me to figure out. Back then I wore a deoderant called Moon Grass by a brand, Impulse. It broke my heart when they discontinued it because I no longer had a scent to remember him by. Seven years on, I've remembered him once again.

Sublime Balkiss is green and refreshing, with a subtle fizzyness. The berries are wonderful and very unique, as is the herbaceously green quality of the scent as it settles on the skin.

This is a somewhat odd fruity scent, almost alien in nature. I'm quite excited for Spring and Summer which will allow me to test this fragrance in a different environment.

While fruity, earthy and slightly floral, Sublime Balkiss gives me a clean sensation. A sense of purity and happiness.

As this fragrance dries down, lily of the valley and wet, earthy patchouli becomes more prominent. Like the other reviewers here, I unfortunately didn't sense the leather note.

I agree strongly with other reviewers who have stated, although "Sublime Balkiss is classified as a chypre - it is more of an aquatic floral". It indeed has a slight watery feel that is very obvious to my nose.

The lasting power and sillage are very good and I'm actually very impressed with Celine Ellena's brand and composition. I'm eager to test more from The Different Company in the future.

24 September, 2011

qoo77's avatar

Singapore Singapore

Opening notes were bursting of uplifting blackberries that kept me sniffing but soon dried down to a cheap smelling watered down cologne after 10mins on me. Utterly disappointed, this being my 2nd purchase from TDC after my much-like Bois et Sens... definitely expected more at such a price point.

08 August, 2010

BayKAT's avatar

I've been trying to wrap my head around this one... Do I like it? Yes.

What is it similar to? Kurkdjian's Lumierre Noir pour femme, another floral chypre with a patchouli/rose accord.

Does it last? mid-range, but it's a peek-a-boo fragrance- the scent comes and goes throughout the day.

Is it interesting? This is where i get stuck. I do like hte opening with the blueberry and forest berry combo, it isn't a sweet, juicy fruit of an opening, but more like the bark of the fruit tree. Nice. Dry down is lovely too. But any floral or fruity chypre is held next to Mitsouko for me. With this one I keep wanting a 'little more', more sillage, more oomph, more dark notes in the base.

I think if you sniffed your way through a row of expensive, high quality floral chypres this is not one you would remember.

08 February, 2010