Drôle de Rose (1996)

HouseL'Artisan Parfumeur
PerfumerOlivia Giacobetti
Parent CompanyPuig Beauty & Fashion Group

About Drôle de Rose

Drôle de Rose is a feminine perfume by L'Artisan Parfumeur. The scent was launched in 1996 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Olivia Giacobetti

Drôle de Rose fragrance notes

Reviews of Drôle de Rose

Drole de Rose was recommended to me as a 'makeup' scented perfume. Indeed the violet and rose do remind me of my grandma's bathroom (in a good way) and it has a slight cold cream scent to it. The iris lends to the powder/compact scent to wrap it up all together.

I'm not a huge fan of powdery iris scents, hence why I cannot stand L'Heure Bleue, but the iris in Drole de Rose does calms down after the first 20 minutes or so of wearing.

Drole is almost a stripped down version of Misia, and the two are very comparable and if hard pressed between the two, I would go with Drole de Rose.
19th November, 2017 (last edited: 29th November, 2017)
This is an agreeable, powdery, floral perfume. The opening reminds me of a clean baby, fresh from the bath with warm skin projecting baby bath products. As it develops, the powder fades, and it becomes a more mature floral with the listed notes of rose, iris, and violet seeming plausible, especially violet, giving it a sweet, floral complexity. I've also seen almond and honey listed, which could be adding the edible-smelling aspect. Almond is tricky to pull off, and can go badly. Here, it could be the almond making this a little edgy in the development.
22nd May, 2017
A soft powdery vanilla rose.

This reminds me a good deal of Love's Baby Soft, an cheery and inoffensive drug store fragrance aimed at young girls and teen-agers. I get none of the green notes described by other reviewers and the violet does not reach me either.

What others describe as fruity comes to my nose as sweet baby powder vanilla.

Innocent, light and charming.
25th February, 2016
A delightful whipped cold-cream rose scent with subtle sweetness. Definitely less sweet than, say, Lipstick Rose with which it shares a retro toilette glamour. Where Lipstick Rose might be worn by a burlesque dancer in fluffy pink attire, Drole de Rose is far more restrained and gentle.

In fact, what it brought to my mind was a little pot of rose-scented cold-cream that belonged to my grandmother. Now please don't go running towards the hills at the mention of grandmothers. It depends on the Grandmother...

Like everyone, I had two of them. One had a belting laugh, questionable hygeine and loved to read Mills and Boon novels, the other was a petite ingenue whose house smelled like a Swedish log cabin filled with flowers. She was a control freak it must be said, but very graceful, and it was indeed she who possessed the small porcelain pot (with little garnets on the lid) whose contents smelled like Drole de Rose, which on first sniff made my eyes fill with tears at the memory of gentle grace and kindness.

This perfume is probably slightly too gentle and graceful for someone like me, with my somewhat dark sense of humour, but I wear it often at home for its soothing effect. It has its own elegance too and is undoubtedly romantic, with a small 'r'. (For the big Gothic 'R', I'd go for 'Portrait of Lady')
12th February, 2015
What a Beautiful Green Rose Fragrance!

It makes me feel like born again; it is that good!

If You find it, Get it!

Good Longevity.

26th January, 2015 (last edited: 28th January, 2015)
Genre: Green Floral

Drôle de Rose is a cheerful fruity-sweet green rose scent that reads to me a bit like a brightened L’Ombre dans l’Eau and a bit like a rosier, happier Calandre. It’s the combination of fruit and rose that reminds me of L’Ombre dans l’Eau, and the hay and fresh-mown grass that bring Calandre, or even Vent Vert to mind.

Drôle de Rose is rounder, softer, and sweeter than any of the others, and absent the influence of strong indoles, it’s also extremely clean and innocent. That it manages this without any of the stereotypically “fresh” notes and without being insufferably bland is a tribute to Olivia Giacobetti’s artfulness. What keeps my interest in Drôle de Rose is a lightly honeyed hay and floral accord that’s highly suggestive of narcissus. This accord is very stable and persists for hours on my skin. If ever a fragrance merited the adjective “adorable,” this is it.
12th June, 2014

Add your review of Drôle de Rose

Shop for Drôle de Rose products online

Search Amazon for Drôle de Rose

Member images of Drôle de Rose

There are no member images of Drôle de Rose yet. Why not be the first?