Drôle de Rose (1996)

HouseL'Artisan Parfumeur
PerfumerOlivia Giacobetti
Parent CompanyPuig Beauty & Fashion Group

About Drôle de Rose

Drôle de Rose is a feminine perfume by L'Artisan Parfumeur. The scent was launched in 1996 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Olivia Giacobetti

Reviews of Drôle de Rose

A delightful whipped cold-cream rose scent with subtle sweetness. Definitely less sweet than, say, Lipstick Rose with which it shares a retro toilette glamour. Where Lipstick Rose might be worn by a burlesque dancer in fluffy pink attire, Drole de Rose is far more restrained and gentle.

In fact, what it brought to my mind was a little pot of rose-scented cold-cream that belonged to my grandmother. Now please don't go running towards the hills at the mention of grandmothers. It depends on the Grandmother...

Like everyone, I had two of them. One had a belting laugh, questionable hygeine and loved to read Mills and Boon novels, the other was a petite ingenue whose house smelled like a Swedish log cabin filled with flowers. She was a control freak it must be said, but very graceful, and it was indeed she who possessed the small porcelain pot (with little garnets on the lid) whose contents smelled like Drole de Rose, which on first sniff made my eyes fill with tears at the memory of gentle grace and kindness.

This perfume is probably slightly too gentle and graceful for someone like me, with my somewhat dark sense of humour, but I wear it often at home for its soothing effect. It has its own elegance too and is undoubtedly romantic, with a small 'r'. (For the big Gothic 'R', I'd go for 'Portrait of Lady')
12th February, 2015
What a Beautiful Green Rose Fragrance!

It makes me feel like born again; it is that good!

If You find it, Get it!

Good Longevity.

26th January, 2015 (last edited: 28th January, 2015)
Genre: Green Floral

Drôle de Rose is a cheerful fruity-sweet green rose scent that reads to me a bit like a brightened L’Ombre dans l’Eau and a bit like a rosier, happier Calandre. It’s the combination of fruit and rose that reminds me of L’Ombre dans l’Eau, and the hay and fresh-mown grass that bring Calandre, or even Vent Vert to mind.

Drôle de Rose is rounder, softer, and sweeter than any of the others, and absent the influence of strong indoles, it’s also extremely clean and innocent. That it manages this without any of the stereotypically “fresh” notes and without being insufferably bland is a tribute to Olivia Giacobetti’s artfulness. What keeps my interest in Drôle de Rose is a lightly honeyed hay and floral accord that’s highly suggestive of narcissus. This accord is very stable and persists for hours on my skin. If ever a fragrance merited the adjective “adorable,” this is it.
12th June, 2014
Light and elegant! This was the first thought that crossed my mind after the first sniff. An orange blossom with a lovely floating bright rose - playful, summery and delicious. In the drydown violet come to the fore, and a honey-almond combination graced the drydown. Decent silage and projection, and the longevity is a brilliant seven hours on my skin.

10th January, 2014
I can’t believe I enjoy Drole de Roses by LAP, but I do. The notes line-up really isn’t my cup of tea, but I’m finding it delicate and charming.

1) Violets (Green grass and wet cement).
2) Iris (Powder and more powder!).
3) Rose (Soapy and candied?)
4) Honeyed baby skin.

Drole de Roses treads the line between clean innocence and red lipstick temptress. This makes me think of tea time with almond cookies and lace napkins followed by a little afternoon delight.

Projection: Stays close to skin.
Longevity: Could be better.

3.5/5
04th November, 2012
There is much more going on here than rose - I get baby powder, and white floral mostly. To me, it smells like dryer sheets. More of a feminine scent. No citrus here at all. No spice. Just sweet, iris, rose powder.
06th September, 2012

Add your review of Drôle de Rose

Shop for Drôle de Rose products online

Shop for Drôle de Rose at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Drôle de Rose

Member images of Drôle de Rose

There are no member images of Drôle de Rose yet. Why not be the first?