Wode (2008)

Wode is a women's fragrance by Boudicca. The scent was launched in 2008

Shop for Wode products online

50ml EdP

Reviews of Wode

Showing 1 to 6 of 10 reviews.

Colin Maillard's avatar

The opening of the new version of Boudicca Wode Scent instantly threw me right into an old rusty bottle of Nina Ricci Phileas I had once, which was completely ruined, the juice gone severely wrong. Wode smells of that, precisely: a vintage herbal-leather-musky scent gone wrong - metallic, harsh, moldy, filthy (not in a good way) and dry. It’s also “inky” to some extent, and quite smoky too. Basically it smells like a sort of really dry, musky synthetic leather scent with musk and herbs, but all in a heavy, and to me, unpleasant way. Like “rotting”, but with a discomforting touch of clumsy. It may be intriguing and charming for fans of this type of scents: on me, it’s a nasty scrubber. The drydown goes a bit better, and I must agree with deadidol on the similarity with Bois d’Ombrie. Still, well... no.

4,5/10

30th January, 2015

deadidol's avatar

This review is for the original version of the scent (not the paint).

Geza Schoen is hit or miss with me, and this one’s quite a miss—largely based on personal preference though as Wode contains accords that I rarely enjoy. This scent mixes green, vegetal notes with spices and a rubbery leather over a musky amber-ish base. If I had my way, juniper, cardamom, coriander, nutmeg, and sage would all be banned from perfumery, and that’s much of what Wode contains. It’s a convoluted melange of cooking spices and herbs over vaguely synthetic components (some kind of floral-ish accord, “leather” etc.) It’s all funneled into a relatively cohesive and compact scent, but the end result is quite removed from the kind of thing I dig. If you’re into smelling like something that strolled out of a country kitchen via an S&M club, then this could work for you. To me, it's very close to "scrubber."

P.S. I was trying to recall what this reminds me of and I just noticed someone else mentioned Bois' D'Ombre. That's it! Bag of rotten veggies, pretty much.

13th January, 2015 (Last Edited: 14th January, 2015)

Kaern's avatar

Has this been reformulated? Smells about as 'feminine' as Bandit but not as good.

Plastic leather sounds about right here -- also dry and musty with a touch of the orient floating about.

It works ok and lasts for ages -- not very expensive either. A little strange though.

08th December, 2014

Way Off Scenter's avatar

Genre: Woods

A review of the "new," reformulated Wode, which bears no resemblance to the gaunt leather composition Boudicca once offered under this name:

Maybe (OK, likely,) there’s something wrong with my nose, but I’m not feeling the love for Wode. After a light, brisk, lemony cardamom top note, all I get out of this scent is a commonplace clean white musk and some rather harsh woody aromachemicals. The structure, such as it is, seems bare and impoverished – an exercise in minimalism that’s miscalculated and slipped from provocatively spare to disappointingly dull. Hardcore fans of Geza Schoen’s work for the Escentric Molecules line may enjoy the similarly ascetic Wode, but I do not.

19th November, 2014 (Last Edited: 22nd November, 2014)

alfarom's avatar

If you're into experimental fragrances this is something worth checking out. An interesting rendition of leather which takes the distance from other fragrances in the same vein by achieving a luxury vibe via non-conventional languages. In this context, Wode is similar to what Comme Des Garcons or, let's say, Martin Margiela have done with their clothes collections. High-end luxury goods with a remarkable avant-garde/punk attitude.

Wode it's just lie that. It's a punk leather jacket wore on a chiffon white shirt or, if you prefer, it's like going to an S&M party wearing a Rick Owens' leather courset.

How it smells like? Non-animalic yet incredibly realistic raw leather, dark green vegetals and spices blended together in a petrol-like magma that's overall crude yet quite compelling. Both projection and lasting power are average.

The fragrance is available in two different editions: Scent and Paint (both of them coming in a aluminum paint-like can). The former it's stronger and comes as a traditionally transparent liquid while the latter is an actual cobalt-blue paint that when sprayed on clothes end/or body, magically disappears after a few minutes...Scary.

Caution: The typical fragrance that makes perfume purists horrifying.

26th March, 2012 (Last Edited: 27th March, 2012)

gingercoffeebeans's avatar

I love this scent! I have a full bottle of the paint and a sample of the perfume.

Paint: Longevity on my skin is about 30 minutes, but on fabric is much longer - 8-24 hours. The bottle actually says not to spray it on skin. The paint is a much lighter version, salty and perfect for a wet spring day, with a foamy note. I find it both familiar and unique at the same time.

Scent: Complex and gorgeous, but very musty on me. It is very dark-green in feel, like walking through a northern forest. The hemlock is lovely. If it weren't so musty, I would buy a full bottle in a second.

05th February, 2012