Rose of Kali

Rose of Kali information

HouseNeil Morris Fragrances
PerfumerNeil Morris

About Rose of Kali

The fourth fragrance in the India series

Rose of Kali fragrance notes

Reviews of Rose of Kali

A fragrance that could have been created in the 1900's - the 10's or 20's. An old-fashioned style rose perfume. The rose is musty, dusty, and dry. It was odd that the chocolate appeared with the top notes, when it is supposedly a base note. I don't care. I enjoyed that. What makes this so musty is probably the other players. Labdanum, incense, myrrh, patchouli. How ever perfume is made, is still a mystery to me. Mr. Morris nailed this one. I wear this and get a false memory: Somewhere in the distant past, in a room with magenta-colored walls. Dimly lit with ornate brass, gaslight fixtures, lascivious acts - this room is in a brothel. This is probably a scene from a movie I've viewed. This Rose of Kali, a turn of the century impersonator, now a modern reverie.
12th December, 2017
i find this one a dark rose scent. A little fizzy and green at the opening but with time more and more roses open up.

Also, there is an articulate incense and myrrh appearing on my skin. It turns a little sweeter with time, yet I do not find it particularly gourmand/sweet or chocolatey. Only find it a wee chocolatey if I force the idea and try to smell it that way, searching for the note specifically.

17th May, 2011
I always get dismayed when the very first thing I smell is a basenote, particularly when it is one I don’t care for. This suggests to me some kind of imbalance in the construction of the scent. Well, here I get chocolate, chocolate, and more chocolate. It is not a yummy dark chocolate, it is an odd, kind of indolic/fecal chocolate. The chocolate opening lasts for about five minutes. It settles down, and allows some pear and rose notes to peek through. There are some green notes from the myrtle, but not much incense that I could detect. Then the chocolate comes back, accompanied by a sweet and also piercing amber note. This is very powerful oriental, and not at all to my taste. Kali is a powerful goddess, a destroyer of illusion. All that is destroyed here, however; is my interest in this scent.
05th January, 2009