Five O'Clock Au Gingembre (2008)
by Serge Lutens

Five O'Clock Au Gingembre information

Year of Launch2008

HouseSerge Lutens
PerfumerChristopher Sheldrake
Creative DirectorSerge Lutens
Parent CompanyShiseido

About Five O'Clock Au Gingembre

Five O'Clock Au Gingembre is a shared / unisex perfume by Serge Lutens. The scent was launched in 2008 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Christopher Sheldrake

Five O'Clock Au Gingembre fragrance notes

Reviews of Five O'Clock Au Gingembre

I really enjoyed this. It's like spicy sap and evergreen forests in the middle of summer. It's masculine with a hint of something lighter, almost bright. It smells like fresh cut wood and pepper.

I really enjoyed this, and would love to smell it on someone else.
14th July, 2016
Five O'Clock (the significance of the name escapes me) has two things going for it (the honey and the ginger) and two things going against it (the patchouli and the pepper).

The honey note is reminiscent of Lutens' Miel de Bois, here nicely paired with a powdered ginger note (I was hoping for something pungent, as with a freshly sliced ginger root, but alas!). Had the ginger been a bit stronger it might have won out over the base, which is an acrid, bitter combo of patchouli and pepper (I swear that acrid oud-like cedar note Lutens loves to use to put me off with is here as well).

So my vote must be a neutral. Good idea, but back to the labs to pair the honey and ginger with a warmer base (amber, sandalwood, vanilla??). The contrast as is between warm and bitter cancels out the positives with a blatant negative.
30th May, 2016
a linear poor performer...disappointing!
tea and ginger, Memoires d'Homme by Nina rcci, much,much better!
01st May, 2016
Such a great opening here.. mmm. Tea, cinnamon, ginger. Reminds me of a better executed version of Samba Heat, a cheapy that shows it's worth its whole 10 dollar price tag. FOCAG by SL opens up beautifully. Unfortunately the dry down is just a mish-mash of synthetic amber and sweet tonka. Think 24 Gold's dry down, only weaker. A little bit of ginger coming through to the end. For the most part it's a bust to me. Chergui is win - win, because the dry down keeps me going. FOCAG's dry down is boring.. it makes me question myself "this is niche?"
08th April, 2016
5 O'Clock Gingembre is a sweetened patchouli with notes of chocolate, cinnamon, tea and of course, ginger. It's a bit gourmand, but not to any extreme. Easily unisex, good sillage and longevity and surprisingly versatile enough to be worn to the office. This simply is a truly pleasing fragrance. Thumbs up again for Lutens.
19th March, 2016
I've been enjoying this fragrance all day, but I must warn you, it's a deceiving sillage beast! I over sprayed, because I couldn't originally smell much when I put it on...but it grows in intensity over the next two hours and becomes quite strong on me, so I would under spray if trying it for the first time. You can always apply more, but it's tough to scrub it off if you're at work. This is a very dry spicy scent. I really enjoy the ginger mixed with the tea accord. It feels comforting, like a curl up with a good book and a warm drink...but again, if not over applied. I will cut down by half the number of sprays and I'm sure I'll enjoy it even more. This is my second Serge Lutens and I love both bottles I have from this line.
12th March, 2016