Velvet Hour (2008)

PerfumerEmilie Coppermann
PackagingLutz Herrmann
Parent CompanyBenckiser > Coty Inc > Coty Beauty

About Velvet Hour

Velvet Hour is a feminine perfume by Kate Moss. The scent was launched in 2008 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Emilie Coppermann. The bottle was designed by Lutz Herrmann

Reviews of Velvet Hour

This one is a recent addition to my collection and I really like it. Love the woody, sensuous feel it has, but I'm a sucker for a woody floral. Last and lasts like a quality perfume should. I'm kind of cynical about all these celebrity perfumes, but really enjoy this one. Beautiful blue bottle, too.
16th May, 2012
I never expected this fragrance to be so unique and interesting. Since testing Kate, her first fragrance, I assumed that all her scents would be safe and unoriginal. Velvet Hour transcends past the common stereotype, and becomes something distinctive and alluring.

I'll start by saying that Velvet Hour is a sillage monster, a scent that lasts and lasts. Because this fragrance is so strong I would most likely recommend this scent for Winter or night use.

It's sweet, peppery, dark, intense and strangely beautiful. I'm so surprised that this fragrance sells so cheaply. I think its price may have something to do with the lack of promotion, because it definitely isn't based on the quality of this fragrance.

Velvet Hour opens with the soft and powdery freesia note, with the incense and pepper creating a smoky yet spicy quality. This opening on its own is very impressive.

The patchouli becomes quite strong after a few minutes of wear but the nutmeg mantains a certain softness and femininity which is delightful.

The drydown is a little bland, however I do still enjoy this fragrance. Amber ends this fragrance with a warm and sensual closure.

I'd make this fragrance a top pick for a unique evening scent that will certainly have you noticed and admired.

04th June, 2011
Smelled this one accidentaly, quite strong, for colder weather and evening. Really wouldn't mind smelling this on the neck of a good looking girl. Thumbs up girls.
26th January, 2010
This is exactly what it says on the tin - freesia, pepper, patchouli and wood. The wood is unmistakeable - aromatic fresh sawdust. Velvet hour is not complicated and not unpleasant. Actually quite nice indeed. It is also more popular than one would think. I picked up some last week and, since then, I seem to smell it on at least 3 women (usually young) whenever I go anywhere. I went to Nando's tonight and a pretty young Indian girl in the queue was wearing it. It is a bit like buying a particular car and then suddenly seeing that make and model everywhere. Essentially, I would not buy it again - and I may end up giving it away - but I don't regret buying it at the price I did.
18th December, 2009
Sybarite Show all reviews
Yet another to join the endless "run of the mill" celebrity fragrance bandwagon. I for one, am yet another that detest this trend for cheap scents, that has more to do with marketing/profit than the actual fragrance.
However, I must add that I was actually quite pleasantly surprised by "Velvet Hour". If you are a freesia lover and looking for a very affordable alternative, then I would recommend giving this "woody floral" a sampling (at very least).
It's been mentioned before in the press, that Guerlain's - L'Heure Bleue, is Ms.Moss' favourite perfume. So that has been her obvious inspiration here, in name at least, if not in the actual scent (which smell nothing alike).
The "nez" behind the scent is Emilie Copperman (the creator of Burberry Brit Sheer , Lalique Pour Homme Equus , Diagonal (Six Scents: series1/fragrance4), Black XS For Her ... amongs others,)
The fragrance opens with a Blue Pepper Accord ...(Blue Pepper ???, but I don't find it very peppery, this is a delicate pepper), with the added notes of Freesia, and Cashmere Incense (cashmere incense??? or is this an incense and cahmere woods accord ??). This segues into an accord of Patchouli, Amber and Nutmeg. (Also not overtly patchouli, it's just right, giving it some depth). Finally ending on a base of Sandalwood, Amber and Ebony Wood.
The blending is beautiful with no note being too prominent over the others (except the freesia in the opening) and the overall feeling is smooth, rich but soft and not at all too strongly woodsy. The longevity is pretty decent too, for it's price point. Personally, I would have prefered it heavier on the woods, as it might have been more suitable as a unisex scent then, (yet some men that wear TFord's Black Orchid might enjoy this one too.)
Overall, a very good effort and I too have to give it a thumbs up, (as much as I was hoping not too!)

17th February, 2009
I thought this scent was going to wear off quickly like the first Kate Moss fragrance......but surprisingly this stays on for hours and has a very alluring scent, a definate thumbs up

22nd November, 2008

Add your review of Velvet Hour

Shop for Velvet Hour products online

Search Amazon for Velvet Hour

Member images of Velvet Hour

There are no member images of Velvet Hour yet. Why not be the first?