Elixir (2008)

Year of Launch2008

HousePenhaligon's
PerfumerOlivia Giacobetti

About Elixir

Elixir is a masculine fragrance by Penhaligon's. The scent was launched in 2008 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Olivia Giacobetti

Reviews of Elixir

The citrus at the top is overpowered by the wood. The rose and floral elements are overpowered by cinnamon leaves, rosewood, and vanilla. The leaves themselves are much better represented by Yatagan. It seems like it should be complex by the notes but on my skin, alas. There's a more incense towards the dry down but nothing to write home about.
23rd November, 2014 (last edited: 22nd November, 2014)
Genre: Woody Oriental

Huh? As much as I admire Olivia Giacobetti’s work, I think the mistress of the art has fallen on her face with this one. The Luckyscent web site says “Opulent, complex and mysterious, the new Penhaligon’s creation, created by renowned nose Olivia Giacobetti, is one of the most gorgeous oriental perfumes we have encountered in a long time.” I say it’s a rather thin, pale, woody rose and incense composition that takes aim at Bertrand Duchaufour’s Paestum Rose and misses by a mile. Marketing copy that promises an oriental from Giacobetti had me hoping for another Tea For Two or Idole, but it’s not here.
13th June, 2014
Subtle sensuality

What a lovely line-up of exotic Eastern notes. A beautiful fragrance; warm, spicy, woody incense, sheer and subtle. My first few wearings left me feeling slightly disappointed, I hadn't read many reviews before I sampled, and I thought the fragrance was too soft and light. But with each wearing, I grew more impressed with the quality of the ingredients and the diaphanous nature of the fragrance. I bought a full bottle. Just beautiful.

Sillage is on the low side, longevity over 9 hours.

Pros: Warm, spicy
Cons: Low sillage"

04th October, 2013
Elixir is a spicey mentholated brew of woods, spices, and aromatic elements. I am sure that Olivia Giacobetti intended the mix to be deep and healing and the eucalyptus gives it a penetrating quality that I really enjoy. If you had a head cold or were starting to feel under the weather this mix would smell good inhaled in a steam bath. There is a Marakech type of spice blend mixed into incensed woods plus a little sweetness. I like almost everything about the fragrance except for the pace of the fragrance development. When first applied it is almost searing in hotness, then it is great smelling for a moment and then it withers down to a hint of itself. Giacobetti is well known for her transparent style of perfumery, but unfortunately transparency with Elixir's bold ingredients is a clash of intentions transparency becomes impotency. I love the scent but don't like the unevenness of scent silage and distribution. Rate Elixir as 2.5 stars out of 5.
01st November, 2012
Cyn Show all reviews
I own the female version of Elixer, which is in a different colored bottle than the one shown. A lovely, spicy scent which wears on all day long.
16th September, 2012
Tried it in London when I was in search for something strong and spicy with a hint of (beloved) incense, got myself a travalo to test it. Few months later I was very happy to receive it as Xmas gift from my fiancé. Elixir gives its best during winter season, warming up the senses. On me it is quite long lasting, maybe because my scarves and coats still carry the scent within the fibers... I know it's a masculine frag but I would suggest it to any woman looking for a spicy oriental envelopping experience. I'd say it's a deeply relaxing fragrance inviting to meditation and calmness.
04th September, 2012

Add your review of Elixir

Shop for Elixir products online

Shop for Elixir at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Elixir

Member images of Elixir

There are no member images of Elixir yet. Why not be the first?