Vetiver Dance (2008)

Vetiver Dance Fragrance Notes

Vetiver Dance information

Vetiver Dance is a unisex fragrance by Tauer. The scent was launched in 2008

Reviews of Vetiver Dance

Showing 1 to 6 of 38 reviews.

baaghji's avatar

This one reminded me of summers visiting relatives in India. The talcum powder that the men put on to combat the heat that was oppressive even at the start of the day. Right away there was powdery clean with some floral in the mix, but not overdone and cloying (I rarely like floral).

In the mid the floral died away and the vetiver began to peak out underneath the powder bringing with it more earth...clean but with honest work outdoors underneath (freshly turned earth and trampled moss).

The dry down saw the powder almost die away on my skin and a crisp vetiver came to the fore with a hint of spice. This to me was a piece with three themes, each distinct and with its own merits and memories brought forth.

08 July, 2014

Way Off Scenter's avatar

Genre: Woods

Andy Tauer’s Vetiver Dance evolves in a very interesting manner. It begins with a luscious, sweet, yet refreshing floral/citrus accord that’s light years away from the flinty, tart citrus notes that open many a modern vetiver scent. The floral notes intensify as the vetiver emerges, establishing the dance of the title as a pas de duex of smoky, slightly licorice-flavored vetiver and soapy rose.

The dancers perform against a dry, herbaceous-aromatic background, their motion accented from time to time by a delightfully brisk and realistic note of black peppercorn. The vetiver outlasts the rose and peppercorn, and ends the dance nearly solo, supported by quiet wisps of sweet resin. Sillage and projection are well judged, and the vetiver drydown is admirably tenacious. In overall style I’d describe this as a warm, mellow, even nutty vetiver, not far removed in mood from Givenchy’s Vetyver, though decidedly more floral at its heart. Sophisticated, comfortable, and reassuring all at once, it would make a wonderful everyday scent.

07 July, 2014

tempest moon's avatar

The Gypsy Vetiver

I find this one very interesting, and unique (like many of Andy Tauer's creations). In the beginning I get a very spicy and dry intense Black Pepper accord, followed by a grapefruit that lifts it up to give it a bright, sunny impression. The Pepper is joined by very dry, almost burnt-like Herbs (the Sage note).

Initially I was afraid of trying this as I thought that Lilly-of-the-Valley would remind me of old lady perfume, but in my opinion it works wonderfully here! Paired with the rose it gives the whole composition a floral warmth that really makes it interesting. The Vetiver itself is dry and earthy, and by the time the ambergris joins in, almost salty. It's a very interesting fragrance in that it is a mixture between very dry notes (Black Pepper, dried Herbs, Vetiver, Cedarwood, Ambergris), and very lush notes (Grapefruit, Rose, Lilly-of-the-Valley). I also get a hint of the Andy Tauer signiature at the dry down (all of his dry downs are usually the best part of his fragrances), which is something close to an incense like vibe. It's really great, like dried grass and leaves near a swamp. I love Vetiver but this fragrance made me love Vetiver even more.

I should also point out that if you are new to Vetiver as a main note in perfumes, you may not like this one. I find that I can only appreciate this after trying other Vetivers... and whilst I still love Guerlain Vetiver I really commend Andy Tauer for taking the note and doing something totally different here.

Overall, I find this perfume very bewitching and a little mysterious, so I call it the "Gypsy Vetiver", and I imagine that the Vetiver here is like a Gypsy dancing at a campfire in the night forest, surrounded by the other players. There are herbs next to a burning cedarwood fire, not far from some swampy riverbank, where dried leaves and rushes hang over the warm, tranquil water. I picture her wearing a dark green velvet shawl. That is the colour I associate with this one. Dark, mysterious, hypnotic. A perfect composition fitting of the name "Vetiver Dance".

20th May, 2014

gimmegreen's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Tauer writes of the ‘dark, raw and almost damp earthiness’ (so true!) of vetiver and the opening of this perfume is petrichor and a gale of grassy greens. Vetiver Dance has a strong floral component, too, (most prominent to my nose is the Carillon-like lily of the valley note) but its use of the rooty, damp, sweet soil qualities of its star is honest unlike the numerous vetivers that are a ghost of the ingredient they purport to represent. Bracing, touched by nature, and wearing much lighter than usual for a Tauer composition (though there’s nothing wrong with either the tenacity or throw of this perfume), Vetiver Dance does it for me. There’s a slight dissonant sweatiness – probably a combination of the sage and cedar – which makes me think that Tauer is making an unnecessary token gesture to the legion of dried out vetivers out there, but it’s not enough to rob this one of its essential joyfulness.

14 May, 2014

chet31's avatar

Clean

I like this scent, reminds me of Guerlain Vetiver. Clean smell, but do I just want to smell clean? Perhaps once in a while.

24 October, 2013

dlane1953's avatar

Fresh and light

My first sampling, but it's clear to me that this is another Tauer that must be sampled several times to come to an understanding of what it's about.

My first impression: two thumbs up. I love the crisp, fresh opening, warmed up by the peppery note. But the heart notes (rose, vetiver, and LOV) turned this fragrance in a completely different direction. Suddenly I'm in a whole different realm--what stands out is the exquisite LOV accords, not the vetiver. At this time, I feel it definately leans toward the feminine, not masculine. As the basenotes begin to play out, the fragrance moves back into unisex territory. Complicated fragrances require some time to master.....

Hmmm. I'll report back later. Another Tauer shape-shifter.

A second wearing has convinced me that the vetiver is lightly used; my skin seems to amplify the florals. Sampling is highly recommmended. It's a beautiful composition and a great choice for daytime; very fresh and light. If you like your vetiver straight-up and strong, you won't care for this one. But if you love the floral notes listed in the heart, lightly enrobed in a veil of vetiver, wood, and fresh labdanum, you'll adore this. Longevity is over 10 hours, sillage very good.

Pros: Crisp and soft in different stages, very changable on my skin.
    Cons: Sample first, somewhat unpredictable"

26 September, 2013

Add your review of Vetiver Dance

Search for on eBay United States

VETIVER DANCE N.07 EDT. 50 ML. ANDY TAUER
    • Listing Type: Buy it Now
    • Time Left: 28 days
    Ebay United States
    (Shipping from United States)