Vetiver Dance (2008)

Vetiver Dance Fragrance Notes

Vetiver Dance information

Vetiver Dance is a unisex fragrance by Tauer. The scent was launched in 2008

Reviews of Vetiver Dance

Showing 1 to 6 of 40 reviews.

RUDOLFO512's avatar

Vetiver Dance is a sweet/citrusy fragrance. I don't know if it's me but I smell the vetiver in the background here. The lily of the valley and citruses are more dominant in this fragrance. It is very strong and projects very well. Just 3 sprays should be enough. I love vetiver based fragrances and this one is unique and wonderful.

13th February, 2015

ClassicFan's avatar

Interesting mix of scents here. It starts off with great sillage. The greenness of the notes mixes well with the citrus, florals and spice. The tonka sweetens it. The vetiver is very grassy and is probably the closest I've smelled to actual grass, but the other notes add more freshness and depth. Once the wood enters the picture with the ambergris it gives an impression of the great outdoors. Very evocative and reminds me of grey skies in the summer. The sage leaves give some small similarity to Grey Flannel in the leafy aspect of the scent. The longevity (like Marocain) is very good. I like "grassy" and "leafy" scents so this is right up my alley, but there are probably those who won't get into it. Nonetheless Tauer is definitely an artist. Try before you buy.

22nd November, 2014

baaghji's avatar

This one reminded me of summers visiting relatives in India. The talcum powder that the men put on to combat the heat that was oppressive even at the start of the day. Right away there was powdery clean with some floral in the mix, but not overdone and cloying (I rarely like floral).

In the mid the floral died away and the vetiver began to peak out underneath the powder bringing with it more earth...clean but with honest work outdoors underneath (freshly turned earth and trampled moss).

The dry down saw the powder almost die away on my skin and a crisp vetiver came to the fore with a hint of spice. This to me was a piece with three themes, each distinct and with its own merits and memories brought forth.

08th July, 2014

Way Off Scenter's avatar

Genre: Woods

Andy Tauer’s Vetiver Dance evolves in a very interesting manner. It begins with a luscious, sweet, yet refreshing floral/citrus accord that’s light years away from the flinty, tart citrus notes that open many a modern vetiver scent. The floral notes intensify as the vetiver emerges, establishing the dance of the title as a pas de duex of smoky, slightly licorice-flavored vetiver and soapy rose.

The dancers perform against a dry, herbaceous-aromatic background, their motion accented from time to time by a delightfully brisk and realistic note of black peppercorn. The vetiver outlasts the rose and peppercorn, and ends the dance nearly solo, supported by quiet wisps of sweet resin. Sillage and projection are well judged, and the vetiver drydown is admirably tenacious. In overall style I’d describe this as a warm, mellow, even nutty vetiver, not far removed in mood from Givenchy’s Vetyver, though decidedly more floral at its heart. Sophisticated, comfortable, and reassuring all at once, it would make a wonderful everyday scent.

07th July, 2014

tempest moon's avatar

The Gypsy Vetiver

I find this one very interesting, and unique (like many of Andy Tauer's creations). In the beginning I get a very spicy and dry intense Black Pepper accord, followed by a grapefruit that lifts it up to give it a bright, sunny impression. The Pepper is joined by very dry, almost burnt-like Herbs (the Sage note).

Initially I was afraid of trying this as I thought that Lilly-of-the-Valley would remind me of old lady perfume, but in my opinion it works wonderfully here! Paired with the rose it gives the whole composition a floral warmth that really makes it interesting. The Vetiver itself is dry and earthy, and by the time the ambergris joins in, almost salty. It's a very interesting fragrance in that it is a mixture between very dry notes (Black Pepper, dried Herbs, Vetiver, Cedarwood, Ambergris), and very lush notes (Grapefruit, Rose, Lilly-of-the-Valley). I also get a hint of the Andy Tauer signiature at the dry down (all of his dry downs are usually the best part of his fragrances), which is something close to an incense like vibe. It's really great, like dried grass and leaves near a swamp. I love Vetiver but this fragrance made me love Vetiver even more.

I should also point out that if you are new to Vetiver as a main note in perfumes, you may not like this one. I find that I can only appreciate this after trying other Vetivers... and whilst I still love Guerlain Vetiver I really commend Andy Tauer for taking the note and doing something totally different here.

Overall, I find this perfume very bewitching and a little mysterious, so I call it the "Gypsy Vetiver", and I imagine that the Vetiver here is like a Gypsy dancing at a campfire in the night forest, surrounded by the other players. There are herbs next to a burning cedarwood fire, not far from some swampy riverbank, where dried leaves and rushes hang over the warm, tranquil water. I picture her wearing a dark green velvet shawl. That is the colour I associate with this one. Dark, mysterious, hypnotic. A perfect composition fitting of the name "Vetiver Dance".

20th May, 2014

gimmegreen's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Tauer writes of the ‘dark, raw and almost damp earthiness’ (so true!) of vetiver and the opening of this perfume is petrichor and a gale of grassy greens. Vetiver Dance has a strong floral component, too, (most prominent to my nose is the Carillon-like lily of the valley note) but its use of the rooty, damp, sweet soil qualities of its star is honest unlike the numerous vetivers that are a ghost of the ingredient they purport to represent. Bracing, touched by nature, and wearing much lighter than usual for a Tauer composition (though there’s nothing wrong with either the tenacity or throw of this perfume), Vetiver Dance does it for me. There’s a slight dissonant sweatiness – probably a combination of the sage and cedar – which makes me think that Tauer is making an unnecessary token gesture to the legion of dried out vetivers out there, but it’s not enough to rob this one of its essential joyfulness.

14th May, 2014

Add your review of Vetiver Dance

Member images of Vetiver Dance

There are no member images of Vetiver Dance yet. Why not be the first?