Givenchy Play Intense (2008)
by Givenchy

Givenchy Play Intense information

Year of Launch2008

HouseGivenchy
PerfumerEmilie Coppermann
PerfumerLucas Sieuzac
Parent CompanyLVMH Moet Hennessy Louis Vuitton

About Givenchy Play Intense

Givenchy Play Intense is a masculine fragrance by Givenchy. The scent was launched in 2008 and the fragrance was created by perfumers Lucas Sieuzac and Emilie Coppermann

Givenchy Play Intense fragrance notes

Reviews of Givenchy Play Intense

It opens with a citrus scent then dries down into a gentle spiced coffee scent. I would not say it smells really like coffee. In fact I haven't find something smells like real coffee in perfumes. But Play Intense does evoke an image of bitter coffee. It somehow also has an incense-like smell. I find it not very sweet, and clean. It's a versatile fragrance, not cloying sweet for summer and spicy enough for winter, day and night, unisex as well. That said, it still has its caracter. Its sillage is moderate and the longevity 7h+ on me.

Originally written in 2013.
25th November, 2017
Synthetic - but not excessively so; the unusual quality of PI comes from its choice of notes : red fruits, mandarin orange, powdery brown gourmand (carob flour), pink pepper and a blue steel 'lavender'; set on a conventional oriental base.

Stylistically it's a strange hybrid of gourmand, oriental, and fururist metal fougère. These are deployed in the symphonic-synthetic manner of 24, Faubourg; many narrow-range synthetics packed into a seamless composition. But the difference with PI is that its not at all concerned with the classical blandishments of Faubourg, on the contrary, it employs this synthetic style to make an appropriately avant-garde statement. With its metal skeleton, plastic skin and frizzy brown hair, PI would be ideal scent material for a Bladerunner replicant.

But, despite its artificial quality, by sheer will power it seems, this odd creature overcomes its shortcomings (linear, dominated by synthetics, designed by committee) and flaunts them as though they were assets.

On the other hand, like a replicant, PI seems to adapt to its environment and slowly evolves a more humane side as the natural-feeling oriental base finally asserts itself. The naturality of the base serves to underline just how un-natural the rest of the profile really is.

Instead of trying to disguise its synthetic nature, PI demonstrates that this quality is deliberate. Its artificiality is an artifice; something to be celebrated, not excused.

Unlike Faubourg, PI's style is absolutely in keeping with its substance and this coherence is, in the final reckoning, what makes Play Intense a success.

****
18th October, 2017 (last edited: 19th October, 2017)
Play with the addition of a lot more character, particularly in the mid to base note area. I started my serious frag journey with play and soon moved beyond to this one. It gets a big boost from a vanilla/tonka/caramel type of vibe while reducing the impact of the citrus notes. Its still quite inoffensive yet I find it quite interesting and sensual.

Average power, lifespan and projection. A modern offering with more appeal than most, IMO. After several years, I still wear this, on a rotational basis. One of the crowd pleasers, which works for me.
17th February, 2017 (last edited: 18th February, 2017)
Not too bad. GPI does grab my attention more so than the original, with a pleasant, understated intensity (like Miles Davis, perhaps ;^>). I admit that initially, I wasn't sure what to make of it; but that could be because it's not quite like the other fragrances out there.
18th December, 2016
I received two bottles as gifts from two different occasions. The bottle I'm reviewing is from 2008 if that makes a difference in formula.

To put it simply, I smell a very sweet rubbery note when first spraying. The sweet rubber note stays throughout the life of the fragrance, but later on think I'm picking up hints of tonka and vanilla. Those are the only notes I feel like I really smell and that's fine with me because this one is actually really good.

I usually get about 12-14 hours from 4 sprays and this one projects really well. I'd say the scent-radius is ~5 feet. Play Intense gets a definite thumbs up from me.
19th May, 2016
bigbz Show all reviews
If your into gourmand/semi gourmand scents...IMHO this is one of the best.(along with Valentino Uomo, Bond NY For All and the incredibly cheap-but great Choco musk) Also I definitely find it more masculine than the others I mentioned.(with the exception of the Bond perhaps because of it's strong "roasted" nut accord)

I've got a older bottle and while it does give me very good longevity, I don't get very good projection from it at all.(which is contrary to what some others say for the older formulation) Come to think of it, it might be down right poor after the first few hours. Unless someone was right next to you, I wouldn't think they would be able to get into your "scent bubble". Still, projection issues aside...the smell itself is terrific IMHO:)
15th January, 2016