Polo Modern Reserve (2008)
by Ralph Lauren

About Polo Modern Reserve

A modern take on the 1978 original fragrance

Polo Modern Reserve fragrance notes

Reviews of Polo Modern Reserve

A moderate, slightly disappointed thumbs up because I still like this flanker overall.

Of course, I expected Polo Modern Reserve to be a revolutionary rethink of the legendary Polo green originating in the late 1970's.

Well...not so much, but it's still a credible, though underdelivering, uber-flanker.

Polo Modern Reserve is still woody-spicy like the original, but it swerves away from the familiar aromatic sweaty indecisiveness of the original with more definite peppery and woody earthy sensation. That is a distinction worth noting between the two.

But rather than shower me with a swath of spicy-woody warmth, I still get a slightly cold, incomplete feeling from PMR. It seems to stop developing into anything deeper and just lingers around the myrrh/jasmine/vetiver /patchouli/wood dryness and no further.

In the end, I think PMR can be worn as a legitimate alternative to the original formula especially out of nostalgic fascination for this pricy, discontinued formulation. It all depends on what you did and didn't like about the original Polo in how you approach and experience PMR. It's not an ESSENTIAL replacement unless the old formula has really fallen out of favor with you!!

Anyhow, I recommend getting decants of this one before buying. As for me, it's fairly forgettable, but I won't outright deny that PMR has its good points worthy of notice.
19th August, 2018
I'm a big fan of the original Polo but not in the current formulation, just the vintage. This is probably the closest to it if you can't get the real thing, at least as far as my memory is concerned.

I do actually prefer Polo Crest over the original and Modern Reserve because it smells like original Polo just slightly modernized, so you get the best of both worlds.

Modern Reserve starts off green, mossy and spicy. As it dries down, you lose some of the green but the spice carries on into the leather phase which is great. Very masculine throughout.

This is manly and rugged but there's some wealth and refinement in there as well. It should be a versatile scent for the right guy with the right attitude. Probably more mature than young.

I get good projection and longevity, lasts 7-8 hours on me.
16th July, 2018
rbaker Show all reviews
The freshish, slightly ozonic opening soon takes on a slightly green undertone; the latter being undelined by a slightly juniper-berry boozy characteristic.

The drydown turns a bit sweetish-spicy with cardamom and a nonspecific woodsy tilt, and at a later stage a very soft patchouli develops that lasts right until the end.

I get moderate sillage, very good projection and nine hours of longevity on my skin.

Less impressive than the original Polo, more generic but with a good performance - overall this is not bad but does not make the cut to achieve a positive score. 2.75/5.
18th August, 2017
A welcomed variation on the mighty Polo. Instead of Poloís balsam pine, MR goes deep with juniper though itís strangely not listed on the notes. MR amps ups the leather on the drydown and dials down the patchouli. Itís just as powerful as Polo though. The leather is more modern, like the one found in Hermesí Bel Ami. Lauren lists some strange notes (Cardamom Co2? Liquid Jasmine? Sueded Leather?), but who cares when itís this good. One of the best ever from RL but itís sadly discontinued.

29th March, 2016
I love Vintage Polo. I wore it for many years, and I still have a couple of bottles of Vintage Polo, and the newer version, which is a pale shadow of the Vintage. After hearing all of the praise for the Modern Reserve I decided to try a sample. I've now worn it twice, to mixed reviews, not so much from me as from the people around me. When I sprayed it on, I didn't mind the sweeter, thinner smell. I thought it was okay, but I must admit I didn't like it as much as Vintage Polo. My wife however didn't like this one at all. after about four hours, she smelled me and said I smelled like a old lady. Wow...that was unexpected. I don't happen to agree with that assessment, but that was her opinion. I wasn't too worried about it, but then I wore it to work today. I didn't anticipate any such comments, but one of the ladies who works for me also told me that it smelled to her like a scent that an older woman would wear! At that point, I started to wonder about this juice. Honestly, I don't think it smells like an old lady, but I've now had two females tell me that they thought it did. Yeesh...maybe it's the way it reacts to my skin...I don't know. I don't mind the stuff, but I'm going to be very careful with how I wear it. I don't want to feel like I'm in a Snickers commercial, that I'm not quite myself and that I've turned into Betty White.
26th February, 2016
Neutral, leaning like.

There's something in the base that reminds me of two scents I do not like: Terre d'Hermes edt and Bond No. 9 Scent of Peace for Him.

It matches that with some woody sweetness that almost makes up for it.
21st May, 2015

polo modern reserve 4.0 edt spray brand new in the white box mean tester box

End Date: Tuesday Jan-29-2019 15:45:45 PST
Buy It Now for only: $195.99
Buy It Now | Add to watch list

POLO MODERN RESERVE 4.0 FL OZ NEW FOR MEN RARE FIND RALPH LAUREN EDT SPRAY descr

End Date: Wednesday Jan-30-2019 8:08:55 PST

Polo Modern Reserve After Shave Lotion 5 ml Spray Sample ONLY - READ LISTING

End Date: Saturday Feb-9-2019 17:17:28 PST
Buy It Now for only: $9.99
Buy It Now | Add to watch list

POLO MODERN RESERVE Mini EDT .5Oz/15ml Green Cologne Mens Ralph Lauren Fragrance

End Date: Wednesday Feb-13-2019 18:03:22 PST
Buy It Now for only: $39.99
Buy It Now | Add to watch list

Ralph Lauren POLO MODERN RESERVE 30th ANNIVERSARY EDITION .05oz CARDED SAMPLE X3

End Date: Thursday Feb-14-2019 14:55:39 PST