Polo Modern Reserve (2008)
by Ralph Lauren

A modern take on the 1978 original fragrance

Polo Modern Reserve fragrance notes

Reviews of Polo Modern Reserve

rbaker Show all reviews
The freshish, slightly ozonic opening soon takes on a slightly green undertone; the latter being undelined by a slightly juniper-berry boozy characteristic.

The drydown turns a bit sweetish-spicy with cardamom and a nonspecific woodsy tilt, and at a later stage a very soft patchouli develops that lasts right until the end.

I get moderate sillage, very good projection and nine hours of longevity on my skin.

Less impressive than the original Polo, more generic but with a good performance - overall this is not bad but does not make the cut to achieve a positive score. 2.75/5.
18th August, 2017
A welcomed variation on the mighty Polo. Instead of Poloís balsam pine, MR goes deep with juniper though itís strangely not listed on the notes. MR amps ups the leather on the drydown and dials down the patchouli. Itís just as powerful as Polo though. The leather is more modern, like the one found in Hermesí Bel Ami. Lauren lists some strange notes (Cardamom Co2? Liquid Jasmine? Sueded Leather?), but who cares when itís this good. One of the best ever from RL but itís sadly discontinued.

29th March, 2016
I love Vintage Polo. I wore it for many years, and I still have a couple of bottles of Vintage Polo, and the newer version, which is a pale shadow of the Vintage. After hearing all of the praise for the Modern Reserve I decided to try a sample. I've now worn it twice, to mixed reviews, not so much from me as from the people around me. When I sprayed it on, I didn't mind the sweeter, thinner smell. I thought it was okay, but I must admit I didn't like it as much as Vintage Polo. My wife however didn't like this one at all. after about four hours, she smelled me and said I smelled like a old lady. Wow...that was unexpected. I don't happen to agree with that assessment, but that was her opinion. I wasn't too worried about it, but then I wore it to work today. I didn't anticipate any such comments, but one of the ladies who works for me also told me that it smelled to her like a scent that an older woman would wear! At that point, I started to wonder about this juice. Honestly, I don't think it smells like an old lady, but I've now had two females tell me that they thought it did. Yeesh...maybe it's the way it reacts to my skin...I don't know. I don't mind the stuff, but I'm going to be very careful with how I wear it. I don't want to feel like I'm in a Snickers commercial, that I'm not quite myself and that I've turned into Betty White.
26th February, 2016
Neutral, leaning like.

There's something in the base that reminds me of two scents I do not like: Terre d'Hermes edt and Bond No. 9 Scent of Peace for Him.

It matches that with some woody sweetness that almost makes up for it.
21st May, 2015
Quite frankly the best bitter green I have come across. Is definitely better than the original, loses the hazy/musky/mossy base of the original which was only serving to hold back the greens and florals and make it smell dated.

No sweetness or citrus or powdery iris like all the loser frags out there today. It is so clear, crisp, and focused in a wonderfully masculine way. Sharp green forest, some blooming florals, and tobacco/woods/leather base. No tired, sweaty musks (emotional baggage from the past).

I have been searching for a suitable replacement now that it has been discontinued and nothing has come even remotely close. I finally broke down and bought a brand new sealed 4 oz for $100 on ebay (these launched at $60). I will be bringing this bottle with me to high end fragrance boutiques to see if they can pinpoint something to match it.

If you are desperate for something truly and confidently masculine, without the sweaty bullshit from all the vintage frags or the powdery sweetness from the flaccid modern ones, track down a bottle of this. Its worth it and the only fragrance I have ever bothered to get a backup for.
01st March, 2015
Elzťard Show all reviews
From time to time, one may apply a fragrance, and then for whatever reason one hour down the line, regret that choice of fragrance for the day. The original Polo Green was such a fragrance, that although being exceptional and almost unsurpassable on a good day, did not work for me every time I wore it. This version is also exceptional, but is however far more forgiving.
16th December, 2014