• Launched: 2008
    • Bottle Designer: Unknown - Let us know

Average Rating: 3.5

Based on 54 ratings

El Attarine information

El Attarine is a unisex fragrance by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido. The scent was launched in 2008

Reviews of El Attarine

Showing 1 to 6 of 8 reviews.

Way Off Scenter's avatar

Genre: Floral Oriental

Sorry, but I’m not impressed. Among the last few Serge Lutens offerings have been a few that read like safe, muted variations on the house’s more adventurous scents. There’s Sarrasins, a cautiously watered down approach to the indolic white flowers and camphor theme from Tubereuse Criminelle; there’s Louve, which is the super-sweet Turkish delight concept of Rahat Loukoum on training wheels; and now there’s El Attarine, which smells like a dilution of the idea behind Arabie: fruitcake.

El Attarine is all about potent sweet roses, spices, and dried fruit, in what I consider the typical Serge Lutens manner. It’s both more fruity and more floral than Arabie, but it’s not quite as thick and heavy. It may be more approachable, but it’s also less distinctive. My advice: if you like this sort of thing buy Arabie instead. It’s bigger and gutsier, and you won’t have to fly to Paris to get it.

13th June, 2014

apeirohedron's avatar

Currently wearing a wax sample of this. On the one hand, I love the perfume for its unmistakable lutensian edge - apricots and cumin! Who would have thought it? On the other hand, smelling like a bowl of chutney (however delicious) is not really my idea of elegance.

So while it's interesting as a work of art, it's not something I would actually wear - especially not in liquid form, where I expect the smell would not be content to hover almost inconspicuously at my wrist.

25th September, 2012

Gloway's avatar

I think this is good perfume. It smells warm and cozy. Sure there is clear curry in it but not in a offensive way, especially when you dab it on cloth. The dry down is sweet apricot with cumin edge,not much flower I detected. It is suitable for both women and men.

22nd September, 2012

taliaseki's avatar

Turkey Turkey

At the first moments you feel like you have entered an oriental spice shop. Or you put your nose into a curry jar. Very clear and loud spice aromas with a very dominant turmeric or curcuma note. Cumin accompanies in the following minutes. Accompany is not right, it takes the leading part. This one is a cumin fragrance I can say. In the middle the Cumin makes harmony with sweeter and powdery notes . I was able to get apricot after an hour but I am not sure if I would name it if I did not have a hint. And on the dry down the cumin becomes woody, I can say.
    I do not prefer fragrances with edible notes in common. I find many spicy ones overpowering and repulsive. But cumin is something on the green side of the spices for me and I find it flattering in florals like Gucci for women. El attarine is also far from spicy fragrances in my mind but I cannot see myself wearing it. It smells unisex but I would vote it for a man.

26th April, 2012

runstile's avatar

I visited Paris in the spring and was set of bringing back a bell jar, and this was it. After going to the boutique twice, I ended up with this one.

The top starts off bright, and yes it does have some immprtelle/cumin in it, which gives it an edge. The heart is certainly honeyed, but not sickeningly so such as in Rahat Loukoum and not sweet as in Louve @Off-Scenter. The apricot dominates, and as far as I'm concerned, are just right in sweetness (in reality and in this composition). The drydown is composed of dusty woody notes that give a nice foundation.

I am very familiar with this line, and while this might be a brighter, woodier, stinky Daim Blond, I love it. I was looking for something distinctive and I got it. MKK seemed cuddly in comparison.

22nd September, 2011 (Last Edited: 26th June, 2014)

The_Cologneist's avatar

To my nose, powdery, synthetic, very feminine, fruity, floral, with a make-up accord. Smells decent, but not something I can see myself wearing.

26th January, 2011