El Attarine (2008)

Year of Launch2008

HouseSerge Lutens
Parent CompanyShiseido

About El Attarine

El Attarine is a shared / unisex perfume by Serge Lutens. The scent was launched in 2008

Reviews of El Attarine

A simplistic combination of dry cumin and dry cedar.

This comes at you like a blast out of hell upon first inhaling. Luckily, it does calm down later, almost too much, as it fades quickly.

It is very dry and very close to the skin. The lack of projection could be a blessing for those into the scent, but not wanting to smell like an Indian kitchen.

Cumin, when it occurs in commercial fragrances, is usually sweetened, so that it tends towards the animalic. Here it is as dry as pencil shavings.

Not a bad scent, but nothing remarkable or noteworthy.
27th May, 2016
This is yet another subliminal addition to the Boisee line (maybe Bois et Cumin?) It recalls spiced-fruit notes from Arabie, but is firmly placed above an underlying note of cedar (et al.) Beautiful, a bit short-lived, and something I''m glad I own...although my bottle is dangerously low.
21st January, 2015
Genre: Floral Oriental

Sorry, but Iím not impressed. Among the last few Serge Lutens offerings have been a few that read like safe, muted variations on the houseís more adventurous scents. Thereís Sarrasins, a cautiously watered down approach to the indolic white flowers and camphor theme from Tubereuse Criminelle; thereís Louve, which is the super-sweet Turkish delight concept of Rahat Loukoum on training wheels; and now thereís El Attarine, which smells like a dilution of the idea behind Arabie: fruitcake.

El Attarine is all about potent sweet roses, spices, and dried fruit, in what I consider the typical Serge Lutens manner. Itís both more fruity and more floral than Arabie, but itís not quite as thick and heavy. It may be more approachable, but itís also less distinctive. My advice: if you like this sort of thing buy Arabie instead. Itís bigger and gutsier, and you wonít have to fly to Paris to get it.
13th June, 2014
Currently wearing a wax sample of this. On the one hand, I love the perfume for its unmistakable lutensian edge - apricots and cumin! Who would have thought it? On the other hand, smelling like a bowl of chutney (however delicious) is not really my idea of elegance.

So while it's interesting as a work of art, it's not something I would actually wear - especially not in liquid form, where I expect the smell would not be content to hover almost inconspicuously at my wrist.
25th September, 2012
I think this is good perfume. It smells warm and cozy. Sure there is clear curry in it but not in a offensive way, especially when you dab it on cloth. The dry down is sweet apricot with cumin edge,not much flower I detected. It is suitable for both women and men.
22nd September, 2012
At the first moments you feel like you have entered an oriental spice shop. Or you put your nose into a curry jar. Very clear and loud spice aromas with a very dominant turmeric or curcuma note. Cumin accompanies in the following minutes. Accompany is not right, it takes the leading part. This one is a cumin fragrance I can say. In the middle the Cumin makes harmony with sweeter and powdery notes . I was able to get apricot after an hour but I am not sure if I would name it if I did not have a hint. And on the dry down the cumin becomes woody, I can say.
I do not prefer fragrances with edible notes in common. I find many spicy ones overpowering and repulsive. But cumin is something on the green side of the spices for me and I find it flattering in florals like Gucci for women. El attarine is also far from spicy fragrances in my mind but I cannot see myself wearing it. It smells unisex but I would vote it for a man.
26th April, 2012

Add your review of El Attarine

Shop for El Attarine products online

Search Amazon for El Attarine

Member images of El Attarine

There are no member images of El Attarine yet. Why not be the first?