Les Elixirs Charnels - Chypre Fatal (2008)
by Guerlain

Les Elixirs Charnels - Chypre Fatal information

Year of Launch2008

HouseGuerlain
PerfumerChristine Nagel
Parent CompanyLVMH Moet Hennessy Louis Vuitton

About Les Elixirs Charnels - Chypre Fatal

Les Elixirs Charnels - Chypre Fatal is a feminine perfume by Guerlain. The scent was launched in 2008 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Christine Nagel

Les Elixirs Charnels - Chypre Fatal fragrance notes

Reviews of Les Elixirs Charnels - Chypre Fatal

A very special Chypre, simple yet with an elaborated feel. I smell it in the shop I’m Brussels and can’t stop sniffing my wrist like I have some kind of obsessive trouble. I didn’t expect to like it. I’m literally in love with it.
It seems like the notes are upside down. It opens with little fruit, flower and much amber and patchouli and evolves to much more fruit and flower pot-pourri.
16th February, 2018 (last edited: 22nd February, 2018)
There seems to be some confusion as to whether it is pear or peach that provides the fruity note here. My nose tells me it is pear, but a subdued pear, not a sweet, juicy, ripe pear. It is held down and practically smothered by the patchouli and dark rose. Not much vanilla to my nose.

This is in no way a chypre. It is a dark fruity floral that is quite insignificant to the genre and over time rather unpleasant to my olfactory impressions. It is so effervescent that if it weren't for the patchouli it might totally vanish into thin air.

The only thing that proves fatal in this composition is the patchouli, which manages to kill the harmless impression given by the fruit and floral notes.

The price is as usual for modern Guerlains patently ridiculous.
26th July, 2017
Notes: white pear, rose, patchouli and vanilla.
Very feminine, sweet. Some would find it pretty.
Pears are prominent, kind of a warm pear or cooked pear note.
The patchouli gives an earthy but also metallic note.
Don't really care for this. Not sure why it is called a "chypre".
29th June, 2014
I think that maybe was a mistake when they created this fragrance. I imagine that someone heard Chypre Banal instead of Chypre Fatal, and then they produced it. Chypre Fatal is your standard modern chypre fragrance, and it does achieve every single point that other more affordable chypres does, like shiseido zen and guccy by gucci. It starts fruity, then it`s dominated by a sweet, almost camphorated, patchouli, supported by a luminous musky base similar to the one found in narciso rodriguez. I think that Guerlain fails taking the modern chypre trend and adding a proper twist, something that would make it familiar but different, better than the other modern chypres available on the market. Considering it the way it is, i think unless you`re really a Guerlain Collector you`ll need a bottle of this one. If it`s a more exclusive fruity chypre that you want, i suggest you trying Mon Parfum by M. Micallef, that for now you can find for a better price at ebay and it`s more lovely and less facelless than Chypre Fatal.
06th April, 2011
BayKAT Show all reviews
I"m a fan of Guerlain's exclusives, but I do have high standards for them and am more harsh in my reviews. This is a good perfume, in the $100-$140 range, but at the price point sold I have to wonder what they were thinking.

This is a basic patchouli/rose chypre, which I'm comparing to Sublime Balkiss, Lady Vengeance and Kurkdjian's Lumiere pour femme. This is most expensive of the four, and in my opinion, hte least interesting. What I"m wanting is some 'OOH!!!', like Kurkdjian's spicy rose, Balkiss' blueberry note or Lady Vengeance' edge.

But peach and vanilla are just too safe. I"m wondering who the intended audience is for this line, because I don't think it's those who want something unique and trend-setting.
08th February, 2010
bbBD Show all reviews
Utterly fantastic - Chypre Fatale has been my most recent obsession after sampling it, and I consider myself lucky to have secured 20ml for my library. This is my favorite of the three 'Les Elixirs' and the most unique and dynamic of the three. What I also like about it is that I actually get all three stages of development distinctly, and the longevity is long enough such that you can enjoy the base as more than a bare skin scent.

CF starts of with a vibrant peach accord made sharp with the addition of rose. One can also detect the chypre bergamot/oakmoss structure and the 'fuzziness' that comes with it. But the star is the strength of the peach, which intertwines with the other notes all the way to the base. The peach/rose accord lasts about 90 minutes, at which point a sweet patchouli heart emerges. Not any sort of earthy patchouli, but rather a vanilla/rose patchouli reminiscent of of Juliette Has a Gun Citizen Queen. There are twinges of peach noticeable around the edges of the patchouli. An odd thing then happens on my skin, which is that the fragrance fades to almost nothing and basically disappears. I thought that was it, but noticed soon after a distinct mossy and earthy base emerges and holds onto my skin for quite a while, until this too fades out. At first I thought that I was perhaps smelling something else (a fragrance I hadn't washed off completely? Did I spray something on and forget I did?), but this happened with three different wearings.

This isn't a fruity chypre in the classical Mitsouko, Diorella, or Givenchy III tradition. It's much more a peach/patchouli fragrance that clings to an underlying chypre structure. It's unlike any other Guerlain I've experienced, except for the high quality. I easily got 8 hours from each wear with an average application. This was released last month at the time of writing, and the few bottles available through high-end 'lifestyle' retailers are long gone. It's only available through Guerlain now, and I assume not for long. If you're reading this and don't like your bottle, just let me know....
30th November, 2008

Add your review of Les Elixirs Charnels - Chypre Fatal

Shop for Les Elixirs Charnels - Chypre Fatal products online

CHYPRE FATAL GUERLAIN LES ELIXIR CHARNELS PERFUME EDP 0.12 OZ 3.8 ML SAMPLE

End Date: Thursday Apr-4-2019 16:58:24 PDT
Buy It Now for only: $35.00
Buy It Now | Add to watch list

Member images of Les Elixirs Charnels - Chypre Fatal

There are no member images of Les Elixirs Charnels - Chypre Fatal yet. Why not be the first?