Velvet Rose (2008)

Based on 24 ratings

Velvet Rose Fragrance notes

Damask rose, Bergamot, Carnation, Violet leaf, Musk, Patchouli

Velvet Rose information

Velvet Rose is a unisex fragrance by Sonoma Scent Studio. The scent was launched in 2008

Reviews of Velvet Rose

Showing 1 to of 4 reviews.
    positive 3 Positive Reviewsneutral1 Neutral Reviewsnegative No Negative Reviews

sherapop's avatar

Every greenish rose perfume evokes immediately recollections of Perfumer's Workshop TEA ROSE, and Sonoma Scent Studio VELVET ROSE is no exception to the rule. TEA ROSE is probably sharper and greener than VELVET ROSE, but the two are close neighbors on the grand olfactory map, much closer to one another than any of the other SSS rose perfumes are to each other or to TEA ROSE.

Don't get me wrong: I like green rose perfumes, I really do, but I do kind of feel that if you've smelled one (good one) you've smelled them all. I only need one, and I already own TEA ROSE. But if anyone out there thinks that TEA ROSE is too low-brow because they practically give it away for free, by all means, buy yourself a niche green rose perfume! As for me, I'll spend my niche bucks on something less readily available and hopefully unique!

12 July, 2011

BayKAT's avatar

Have you ever smelled Creed's Fleurs de Bulgarie? Did you like the rose note? How about Luten's Majeste La Rose, did the green tartness grab your attention? And what about Kurkdjian's Lumierre noir pour femme and JHaG's Lady Vengeance - did the rose/patch combo work for you?

Then run for this one, because this is what you'll end up buying. This is now the fourth fragrance I've tried from this line and I can add another praise: it LASTS. I put the smallest dab on last night before bed, and 12 hours later (yes, I'm still in my pajamas), it is still here in full strength.

What's left, though, is the medicinal high note of the patchouli (which I love, aka Lumierre noir), and a very high quality bulgarian rose (I know damask is listed, but this smells more Bulgarian to me). Bergamot and clove, other favorites of mine, really make this scent sparkle.

Sorry I can't give a more poetic description, but when it comes to scents I actually want to buy I"m much more pragmatic. This is a keeper.

21st February, 2010

Diamondflame's avatar

Singapore Singapore

My reference rose soliflore Sa Majeste la Rose by Serge Lutens has finally met its match. VELVET ROSE showcases a rich dark red rose rendered dewy fresh with a deft touch of bitter-green. Rather aptly named for it evokes the soft velvety texture of rose petals in deep shades of red and maroon.

This magnificent rose lasts for 4-5 hours on my skin before disintegrating into a faintly earthy patchouli and musk scent.

Notes:
    Damask rose, bergamot, carnation, violet leaf, musk, patchouli.

15 January, 2010 (Last Edited: 16 January, 2010)

Sugandaraja's avatar

Of all the rose fragrances I've tried - and I've gone through dozens - this has been the most impressively real and rosy. A couple sprays and one feels encased in a million rose petals.

The effect is gorgeous and a little overwhelming. There is absolutely nothing subtle about the rose in Velvet Rose.

Most of the body of this fragrance is taken up by this massive rose note. In the top notes it's a fresh, living rose; in the heart it morphs into a faintly soapy, but still very natural rose, smelling like a rich, high-quality rose water. Deep into the base the rose finally gives up the ghost, and its voluminous sillage fades to a faint, skin-scent musk.

Simple, yet lovely. For lovers of roses only.

29 September, 2009