Poivre 23 (2008)

• Availability: In Production
    • Perfumer: Unknown - Let us know
    • Bottle Designer: Unknown - Let us know

Reviews of Poivre 23

Showing 1 to 6 of 14 reviews.

rbaker's avatar
    rbaker

That opening is on my skin pepper, a smooth, creamy, aromatic, wonderful pepper. Later labdanum is added. And a soft incense note. And patchouli - but the pepper rules. Later in the drydown a sandal impression with some styrax are evident in the base. And still the pepper, of course. No qualms with the name in this case. The quality is very high, the blending superb. Excellent silage and projection for the first three hours, then very close to my skin. Total longevity is six hours. The spice of life....

24 January, 2014

Akahina's avatar
    Akahina

amazing take on "gourmond"

Most Le Labo fragrances are ok but in general not all that astounding. This one parts the sea and can be polorizing at first sniff. The top note of pepper can be off putting if this is not an aroma you appreciate...but I love pepper. Both the smell and the taste. (I blacken my food much to the surprise of others around me.) But fear not.

The jolt of pepper during he first half hour soon subsides and gives way to resins, incense and vanilla. Vanilla and pepper turns out to a delicious combination. Also present is a nice touch of guaiac wood, sandalwood and patchouli.

Starts out decidedly masculine and softens as time passes to become softer and a bit more feminine but very wearable by anyone. An unique oriental with a shocking blast of wonderful pepper at the start. Longevity borders on incredible lasting well over 12 hours, almost 24 hours.

Twice a year Le Labo offers their city exclusives at their retail locations. This is one of the very few times I have purchassed a small bottle. The $440 price for 100ml is stupidly rediculous! $290 for 50ml is even worse (per ml) but my bank account appreciates the extra $150. But even at this price this is a scent I needed in my collection. At least I have the bottle and can get refills later if I run out. The fact that I sprayed liberally in the store and got 3 nice sized samples before I left makes the high price a little easier to take.

Not a blind buy! Sample first. If you visit or live in London make sure to sample. If not then get it while you can or wait 2 years...

Pros: pepper lovers rejoice!
    Cons: stupidly expensive and exclusive to London almost all the time."

03 October, 2013

surge's avatar
    surge

Awesome and somewhat unique frag -- one of my favorite among the house of Le Labo.
    Spicy, ambery, warm, woody and creamy and soft on the drydown.
    The opening is very strong and masculine while the drydown is very soft and feminine -- the best of both worlds imho.
    Reminds me a lot of TF's amber absolute or SL Ambre Sultan.

05 October, 2012

alfarom's avatar
    alfarom

Ok, I should probably resign to the fact that Le Labo will never be among my favorite houses. I had great expectations form Poivre 23 but when I finally got to test it, thanks to a great perfumisto, I got somewhat disappointed.

The fragrance smells actually pretty fine, but it's pervaded by a strong deja-vu vibe throughout. It opens with a hint of black pepper immediately joined by incense and a sweet, sort of balsamic quality that I suspect being due to the labdanum and the styrax. In this phase Poivre 23 clearly remarks its presence with a bold but not overpowering sweetish-woody aroma. Well rounded, nice but not incredibly interesting. It then dries down to a woody-patch-vanilla base that's not so far from the latest phases of Patchouli 24 but nowhere close being as grand.

Bottom line: Mild thumbs up!

Rating: 7/10

26 April, 2012

delguy's avatar
    delguy

This hands down is one of the most beautiful unique fragerances I have ever smelled. The composition is amazing and longevity well above average. I have never smelled anything quite like this and have made it my signature fragerance. The only negative is that it's only available in London.

07 March, 2012

stanmar's avatar
    stanmar

The most stunning perfume I experienced thus far on my fragrance journey. Superlatives could fill the page with this one and then do the same over and over. An absolutely sublime creation that takes the concept of transparent almost ethereal permume artistry and anchors it to a spiritual caress of the soul. Really, no other fragrance has had this profound effect on me. Poivre 23 has it all, and does so in a manner that befits its almost transendental agency.....Again a marvel in the niche world and so well constructed that I bypassed the need for smelling salts when confronted with the hefty price.... Superb !!!!!!!!!!!!!

P.S I have found that given the relatively long stages of evolution in the overall development that many focus on the vanilla prominence in the drydown.
    Well wait and wait a little longer. For there is a surprising final drydown bringing a labdanum and dry patchouli concerto at approx 14 hours that is heavenly.

12 December, 2011 (Last Edited: 13 December, 2011)

Add your review of Poivre 23