Ambre Topkapi / PB (2006)
    by MDCI

Average Rating: 3.5

Based on 37 ratings

Ambre Topkapi / PB Fragrance notes

Oak moss, Vetiver, Sandalwood, Rosewood, Leather, Darjeeling tea, Amber, Musk, Vanilla, Jasmine, Violet, Bergamot, Grapefruit, Pineapple, Melon, Cinnamon, Cardamom, Nutmeg, Ginger, Basil, Thyme, Lavender

Ambre Topkapi / PB information

Ambre Topkapi / PB is a men's fragrance by MDCI. The scent was launched in 2006

Shop for Ambre Topkapi / PB products online

75ml EdP

Reviews of Ambre Topkapi / PB

Showing 1 to 6 of 12 reviews.

The_Cologneist's avatar

Nice but subtle. At first I thought.. "WTF is this?" For one, there isn't much, if any amber. Two, it opens up extremely generic and almost cheap. Reminded me of something form the house of Playboy.. no joke. Though after several wearings, I start to get its charm, and although it isn't anything breakthrough, it's comforting, and signature scent material. For the price though.. not worth it.. not even worth 90% off. I would buy a bottle if it were 20 bucks, because that's what it's worth to me. Not that it smells cheap necessarily.. I have smelled, and bought tons of fragrances at 20 dollars that smelled far more expensive; and that's how I would feel about this one if it had a $20 tag.

Onto what it smells like. Upon initial spray, I get tons of lavender, blended with ginger, and some caraway.. this is the really generic smelling part, the opening. As it dries a little, it really reminds me of Burberry Weekend, only less floral, and more sweet and smooth, there's a certain accord or note there that they both share. The way Ambre Topkapi turns is almost uncanny based on its opening. I anticipated a boring musky dry down, and while there is musk, that isn't all I get. Raspberry really dominates the middle for me, along with floral notes, and little vanilla in the background, or it could even be the amber.. it's quite the subtle sweet and creamy note behind the already somewhat muted raspberry note, while also powdery. There's a slight metallic tinge to it. The base gets more mossy, musky, and woodsy.

To me, the star note here is probably the raspberry. Although it isn't the typical in your face raspberry, projection is subdued, and it isn't at all fruity. Maybe more like raspberries and cream, with wafts of flowers, and woods behind it. The more I sniff it, the harder it is to detect the dominating note, they all share center stage pretty equally. Except for the one note that should be here, and that's amber, because I barely smell amber at all.

Although the words may paint a picture of something special, it really isn't much. I also find this one very difficult to smell after the first 30 minutes, it stays very close to the skin, however when I walk by people, I notice they could smell it, and even on the second day of testing it, 6 hours into it, a family member asked what I was wearing. I could still smell it on myself at the 6 hour mark, but I really have to dig my nose in there deep to find it. All in all, it may last up to 10 hours on me, but again.. hard to detect.

16th June, 2014

Longexact's avatar

This is the only disappointment in the otherwise exceptional MDCI line. Generally this style - a generic fragrance for fratty brodudes - would earn an automatic thumbs-down from me, but MDCI's commitment to good ingredients elevates what should be awful to something that is merely okay. Still, I don't see the point of this one.

22nd March, 2014

silentrich's avatar

Extremely expensive and very average fragrance. I think what they were trying to accomplish was tailor this to more of a mainstream men's fragrance. There's some similarities to other men's fragrances in here, but for the price it just doesn't add up to being that extraordinary. As a matter of fact this is quite average in not only the quality, but the overall smell. If this was a $60 I would say that it would be a good value, but at more than 4 times as much for 60ml this is a complete waste of money.

13th March, 2014

surge's avatar

Great scent but very expensive.
    The thing that most surprised me about this was just how different it was sniffing the atomizer \ on paper compared to putting it on my skin.
    The BO note that it opens with is most noticable on my skin and I don't very much care for it..it however does not last that long (this is a very good thing).
    The "smoky grapefruit" is what I like to call it comes next and it's seriously out of this world amazing.
    The amber comes later on and kind of builds up into the drydown; but by no means is this a heavy amber based scent.
    Overall I'll give it an 8/10 -- the longevity is great, the price is outraegous, and the BO note at the beginning gets another point off. Other than that, it's an awesome scent; if you can afford it, grab it!

18th April, 2012

drseid's avatar

A tenuous thumbs up for this one. It is fresh, with just a hint of a "BO" note just after the opening, but nothing offensive at all like some others (maybe the cardamom?). The strange thing is while I get a bit of amber, I do not get a whole lot... Projection is below average and longevity is about average. Overall a B minus from me. A relatively good 3 star out of 5 scent at a relatively expensive price with much better values available.

11th September, 2011 (Last Edited: 28th December, 2012)

Diamondflame's avatar

Singapore Singapore

Clearly the fragrance name is misleading and I reckon, responsible for many of the negative reviews. AMBRE TOPKAPI is a quiet and dignified scent - perfect for the man who is uncomfortable about wearing fragrances. It smells clean, mildly soapy with herbal nuances and a glimmer of warmth in the base. Very nice indeed!

Unfortunately it is much too reserved for fragrance afficionados, underwhelming even to fans of the subtler styles. It busts the wallet without adding anything groundbreaking and the only longevity I can talk about is the mortgage repayment on a full MDCI bottle.

17th April, 2011