1740 Marquis de Sade (2008)
by Histoires de Parfums

1740 Marquis de Sade information

Year of Launch2008

HouseHistoires de Parfums

About 1740 Marquis de Sade

A truly unflinching scent for the modern male hedonist. A perfume where Leather and Davana explore the scandalous liberties of the Century of Lights.

1740 Marquis de Sade fragrance notes

Reviews of 1740 Marquis de Sade

1740 was an experience I will always remember. However, it was not very pleasurable. I got a good deal on a travel size bottle so I decided to opt for it.

This fragrance starts off with a blast of patchouli, a note that I am not fond of honestly unless it is blended very well. In this case it is not. It is like an assault of the most dirtiest of smells. I don't pick up much of any of the notes listed besides the obviously patchouli,cedar, birch & some leather.

I do not sense any vanilla which would have helped this fragrance a great deal to cut out all that woodiness & earthiness. That is the problem I have with 1740, it's all dry with no sweetness. These are the type of frags I cannot stand nor wear. It is made of good materials, Long lasting at least 8 hours on me, projection is ok, not great but noticeable.

The Marquis de Sade is like drinking Chianti, full of life yet no charm. Thanks, but no thanks!
25th March, 2018
iobhai Show all reviews
You're a tobacco leaf on a journey. Grown fresh in manured soil, then picked, hung in a stuffy barn, flue-cured, moistened, re-dried, conditioned, shredded, and blended with humectants, sweet resins, labdanum, vanilla, and birch tar. You're stuffed in a pipe and lit for a yearly celebration, and as you smolder, parts of you billow their way through its stuffy wood interior and into the living and organic interior of a man. When he's finished, your remains are left in the pipe to age for a whole year in those sweet and sticky oils, never to fully dry, until the man decides to celebrate again. 1740 by Histoires de Parfums.
25th February, 2018
Be careful with this one it's very bold. Two sprays max and it will last forever, however I think it's not well balanced and the immortelle comes out to dominate in the later stages. I should have tested this before I bought. I will have to explore this house more, this is a quality fragrance, just not for me.
18th February, 2018
It works for me. A strong citrus quickly followed by a spicy heart. The base is immortelle, nicely tempered by vanilla and to my nose not too overpowering. Perhaps not to the standards of Eau Noire as an immortelle "vehicle", but good. A possible contender as a date-night scent, although I am due to revisit 1725 by the same house and that is some serious competition. For me, solid and wearable.
02nd January, 2018
What a manly beast!! Very sultry and very sexy. Apply lightly as this could frighten the faint of heart!
02nd December, 2017 (last edited: 04th January, 2018)
I was having high hopes for this one, but, unfortunately, it's not for me.

Straight from the first spray there is a strange and overpowering note that really doesn't sit well with me. It's probably the immortelle, and to me it smells like a high school science experiment gone wrong. When I was about 13 we had to heat up sugar in science class (I have no idea why) to the point where it melted, but the whole class decided to take it a few steps further. At first, the classroom smelled nice and caramelly, but that soon changed when we all burned our sugar to a tarry black crisp.

That's the association I have with this extremely dominant note, and I can't take it. It's a shame because the rest of the notes are quite lovely and right up my street: leather, boozy fruit, some honeyed spices (clove, most noticeably), some seriously funky animalics, what's not to love?

It almost works when I spray it very lightly onto a spot I can't get my nose directly on, like the back of my neck, but it will probably never be a fragrance I'll reach for.

28th January, 2017

Add your review of 1740 Marquis de Sade

Shop for 1740 Marquis de Sade products online

Shop for 1740 Marquis de Sade at online perfumeries

Histoires de Parfums 1740 Marquis de Sade EDP Travel Spray 0.5 fl oz (15 ml) NEW

End Date: Sunday Jan-27-2019 14:17:43 PST

Histoires De Parfums 1740 Marquis De Sade EDP 60ml 2 fl oz Sealed In Box

End Date: Friday Feb-22-2019 16:45:48 PST
Buy It Now for only: $94.50

Member images of 1740 Marquis de Sade

There are no member images of 1740 Marquis de Sade yet. Why not be the first?