1740 Marquis de Sade (2008)
by Histoires de Parfums

1740 Marquis de Sade information

Year of Launch2008

HouseHistoires de Parfums

About 1740 Marquis de Sade

A truly unflinching scent for the modern male hedonist. A perfume where Leather and Davana explore the scandalous liberties of the Century of Lights.

1740 Marquis de Sade fragrance notes

Reviews of 1740 Marquis de Sade

-db- Show all reviews
Two thumbs up.
Half a spray on my abs.
When I duck my head under my t-shirt and whiff, the scent soothes me. My wife really likes it. Other women subconsciously lean in without they themselves realizing that they lean in. That makes me chuckle.

I guess I am a immortelle junkie.
The original AG Sables has god status to me.
I really liked the first incarnation of 1740; it was an honorable mention, a mischievous little brother to Sables, darker and hungrier than Sables yet not as dialed in.

But times have changed.
Annick's daughter screwed up Sables; it is now only an echo of its original self. And, in spite of what HdP may say, 1740 changed a while back (maybe around 2011/12/13 ish). In my opinion, the tweaked 1740 is much better. Now it's there. The present 1740 is just magnificent, it is exquisite, it is art, it is the star of the house. IMO.

Big hug and positive vibes to the artist behind 1740.

In summary, as a body-core skin wear this is a big success for my skin chemistry (which is a function of a lot of things including both genetics and diet). It soothes me. My wife likes it. It draws.

Still, 1740 is a high-alert "do not blind buy!"

22nd August, 2019 (last edited: 23rd August, 2019)
1740 Marquis de Sade: As filthy as its namesake.

This is an interesting one for sure. It opens up with a very dry leather, but soaked in booze, for lack of a better way to put it. It's dry and kind of dusty, yet thick and enveloping. A strong patchouli lies underneath, along with a sort of off-putting funky note that I believe to be civet, though it's not in the note pyramid. If I were to assume that Histoires de Parfums is trying to tell stories with their scents, it would make absolute sense that the smells of booze, leather, florals, and some "nether region notes" would be in the mix.

As you go further into the drydown, the patchouli fades a bit and you're left with a powdery, vanillic yet sharp woody base from the cedar, birch and labdanum, a very prominent immortelle, and that same semi-stinky note making this smell to me like what it must be like walking into a bedroom after a bacchanalian orgy; erotic, sensual, and a little gross. Longevity is great, and projection and sillage are weak, though I think that's a good thing in this case.

I'm impressed with the construction of this fragrance, and I think Histoires de Parfum did a great job in making their olfactory golem from the infamous deeds of the man from whom we get the term "sadism." This could also be a great scent for Patrick Bateman from Bret Easton Ellis' "American Psycho." I rather enjoy everything about 1740 except for that funky note, and it's prominent enough for me that it just detracts from the rest of the fragrance and makes it something that I just would not be able to wear for any length of time. It's perfect for kind of guy who wears Bijan for Men (1981). But for a more reserved and "vanilla" fellow like myself...not so much. Still, a thumbs-up for a well-made fragrance; just one that's not for me.
16th August, 2019
Histoires de Parfums is a line that mostly draws a big yawn from me with one notable exception: 1740 Marquis de Sade, which is a terrific perfume. This is effectively a dry, dusty leather scent reminiscent of old libraries. There are many notes and accords, right from the davana to patchouli and a huge dosage of immortelle. Those who don't like immortelle would probably not enjoy 1740. There's a boozy aspect to the opening, which dissipates in about thirty minutes. There's vanilla in the dry down, but very restrained, while there are also some mild woody nuances.

1740 is quite unique, even among so many leather perfumes; first of all, don't expect a no holds barred leather scent (Tuscan Leather, as an example). Here there are several other complementary directions, because of the immortelle and the patchouli. This is probably what a leathery version of Eau Noire would smell like. 1740 has great longevity on skin, and adequate presence with strong sillage in the first two or three hours. Despite the baroque/opulent themes and (to an extent) demeanour, 1740 is quite wearable, and a versatile evening scent for me.

02nd February, 2019
1740 was an experience I will always remember. However, it was not very pleasurable. I got a good deal on a travel size bottle so I decided to opt for it.

This fragrance starts off with a blast of patchouli, a note that I am not fond of honestly unless it is blended very well. In this case it is not. It is like an assault of the most dirtiest of smells. I don't pick up much of any of the notes listed besides the obviously patchouli,cedar, birch & some leather.

I do not sense any vanilla which would have helped this fragrance a great deal to cut out all that woodiness & earthiness. That is the problem I have with 1740, it's all dry with no sweetness. These are the type of frags I cannot stand nor wear. It is made of good materials, Long lasting at least 8 hours on me, projection is ok, not great but noticeable.

The Marquis de Sade is like drinking Chianti, full of life yet no charm. Thanks, but no thanks!
25th March, 2018
iobhai Show all reviews
You're a tobacco leaf on a journey. Grown fresh in manured soil, then picked, hung in a stuffy barn, flue-cured, moistened, re-dried, conditioned, shredded, and blended with humectants, sweet resins, labdanum, vanilla, and birch tar. You're stuffed in a pipe and lit for a yearly celebration, and as you smolder, parts of you billow their way through its stuffy wood interior and into the living and organic interior of a man. When he's finished, your remains are left in the pipe to age for a whole year in those sweet and sticky oils, never to fully dry, until the man decides to celebrate again. 1740 by Histoires de Parfums.
25th February, 2018
Be careful with this one it's very bold. Two sprays max and it will last forever, however I think it's not well balanced and the immortelle comes out to dominate in the later stages. I should have tested this before I bought. I will have to explore this house more, this is a quality fragrance, just not for me.
18th February, 2018

HISTOIRES de PARFUMS 1740 Marquis de Sade 120 ml Men EDP Made in France NEW

End Date: Tuesday Jan-28-2020 12:10:55 PST
Buy It Now for only: $140.00
Buy It Now | Add to watch list

Histoires de Parfums 1740 Marquis de Sade EDP Travel Spray 0.5 fl oz (15 ml) NEW

End Date: Sunday Feb-2-2020 14:17:43 PST

Histoires De Parfums 1740 Marquis De Sade EDP 60ml 2 fl oz Sealed In Box

End Date: Saturday Feb-15-2020 11:25:13 PST
Buy It Now for only: $94.50

Member images of 1740 Marquis de Sade

There are no member images of 1740 Marquis de Sade yet. Why not be the first?