Black Amethyst

HouseBath and Body Works
PerfumerStephen Nilsen
Parent CompanyLimited Brands > Intimate Brands

About Black Amethyst

Black Amethyst is a feminine perfume by Bath and Body Works. The fragrance was created by perfumer Stephen Nilsen

Reviews of Black Amethyst

This review is for the BODY SPRAY and the SHOWER GEL.

Top Notes: Bergamot, Orange, Mandarin Orange, Tangerine.

Heart Notes: Lily of the Valley, Magnolia, Gardenia, Tuberose, Freesia, Peony, Camelia.

Base Notes: Patchouli, Sandalwood, Vetiver, Musk, Vanilla.

I recently tried three new fragrances from B&BW, including Black Amethyst, and it has knocked off my socks!! Wow!!! This is the most sophisticated B&BW scent I have ever smelt!! I bought the shower gel and the body spray. Immediately upon using the shower gel I thought to myself "oh, my goodness, if the body spray smells even half this good I have found one gorgeous fragrance!!!" Needless to say, the body spray is divine, too. The shower gel is the most concentrated of any of my B&BW shower gels. It lathered up so rich and creamy I could not believe it, and the fragrance from it was as good as any EdT I have ever used.

Black Amethyst is a very sophisticated, sexy, and mature fragrance, and what is more, it smells like Chanel Coco Mademoiselle only BETTER! I have never been able to wear Mademoiselle, but THIS I can wear! It has all of the wonderful top notes, but it does not smell razor sharp as does Mademoiselle. If you and/or someone you know likes Mademoiselle, try Black Amethyst. I wager you will not be disappointed.

This fragrance is worthy of really dressing up for the day/evening. It is "date" worthy and special occasion worthy. In fact, now that I have discovered it, I plan to buy back ups of both the body spray and the shower gel, and I will order the body creme as well as look around for a bottle of the discontinued EdT. I could not be more thrilled with this fragrance! I do not give these sorts of enthusiastic reviews very often, but Black Amethyst deserves all of the praise I can heap upon her.

Look at all of the notes. If these are notes you generally like, then you will love them in Black Amethyst. I cannot say enough good things about this fragrance. I only wish I had discovered this beauty several years ago! : )

Fragrance: 9.5/10

Projection: 8.5/10

Sillage: 8.5/10

Longevity: 6.5/10
24th May, 2016
Since I donít see one male review, hereís mine. I think Black Amethyst is dark, heavy, and mysterious and definitely has that ďwowĒ factor. Yes, Iíve heard how itís a rip-off of Tom Fordís Black Orchid, among others, but I have never smelled Black Orchid (I think I am the only one who hasnít). Black Amethyst is slightly too floral for my tastes, but Iíve heard it has sometimes been mistaken it for a menís cologne. I can easily imagine wearing this with a tuxedo at a formal event. It seems especially good in cold weather. And because itís from Bath and Body Works, Black Amethyst is available in spray, lotion, and shower gel, which is a huge plus. And in my opinion, Black Amethyst is the only Bath & Body Works fragrance worth wearing, with the single exception of Midnight Pomegranate.
08th January, 2015 (last edited: 09th January, 2015)
Reminds me of mens cologne. Not too over powering. I would not buy it again though because I prefer a more fruity scent.
01st May, 2013
Black Amethyst is one of BBW's better complex offerings and as such it may be too grown-up for those who frequent BBW for an olefactory sugar high .As of summer 2012 they seem to be discontinueing it.Naturally-Murphy's Law .
I went in for the 2012 SAS and bought the entire line.The tart/sweet berries,vetiver and sandlewood and incense smell good and should work well with several higher end scents: Black Orchid,Hot Couture, and Midnight Fantasy spring to mind. This really,Really shouldn't have been dropped from their regular lineup- this is a near exact dupe for Chanel's Coco Mademoiselle . The products layer under the pricey Chanel seamlessly.
01st July, 2012 (last edited: 28th May, 2014)
I think it smells sexy and mysterious. Of course, the scent doesn't last for more than 5 minutes. It's a great bargain. My boss did say that it smells like men's cologne...
26th November, 2009
Okay - so I had to give my opinion on this 'popular for the masses' fragrance. You have to give Bath and Body Works a little credit for this one. I have enjoyed a couple (and I do mean no more than 2 or 3) fragrances from BBW, besides my love for the Scentport plug-ins (sandalwood vanilla rocks!). I admit to having an off-again/on-again love affair with Japanese Cherry Blossom (hey, the hubby finds it hot!) Being the snob that I am, I probably would never wear these fragrances when going "out out," and probably not even to teach undergrads who honesty don't care about my class nor my perfume. However, I like a spritz of a nice smell after the gym or in my car...or even when cleaning the house. Would I want to waste my Coco Mademoiselle during these moments? No. Is Black Amethyst close enough to remind me of Coco Mademoiselle without the guilt of "wasting" my Chanel? Yes.

Black Amethyst has more depth than many perfumes in the same price range, and on me I get all middle and bottom notes which is really great. I know the top notes are supposed to be comprised of fruit and melon or the equivalent of those, but I don't smell those notes one bit (thank goodness!). The first sniff is a little sweet (although again - not fruity nor melony) for my tastes, but it is the same with Coco Mademoiselle for me. In contrast, the dry down has a much deeper earthy pitch to it without losing any sexy (albeit younger) femininity. This is much more complex than I ever would have imagined from BBW, and I now feel like a snooty jackass for having scoffed the idea of trying it for so long.

You can't write off a perfectly nice (I didn't say "amazing") fragrance because it is a bit of a rip-off of some other favorites. Any pleasant smell has a time and a place, and while I don't love this fragrance I will still give it a thumbs up simply for the low price tag on a surprisingly lovely fragrance for those times when you just don't care to bring out the big guns, or those times that we all have when we just can't splurge on the pricier stuff. Black Amethyst - you are a-okay in my books!
29th July, 2009