Black Amethyst

Average Rating: 3.5

Based on 37 ratings

Black Amethyst Fragrance Notes

Black Amethyst information

Black Amethyst is a women's fragrance by Bath and Body Works.

Reviews of Black Amethyst

Showing 1 to 6 of 8 reviews.
    positive 7 Positive Reviewsneutral2 Neutral Reviewsnegative No Negative Reviews

Adrastea's avatar

Reminds me of mens cologne. Not too over powering. I would not buy it again though because I prefer a more fruity scent.

01st May, 2013

bookwyrmsmith's avatar

Black Amethyst is one of BBW's better complex offerings and as such it may be too grown-up for those who frequent BBW for an olefactory sugar high .As of summer 2012 they seem to be discontinueing it.Naturally-Murphy's Law .
    I went in for the 2012 SAS and bought the entire line.The tart/sweet berries,vetiver and sandlewood and incense smell good and should work well with several higher end scents: Black Orchid,Hot Couture, and Midnight Fantasy spring to mind. This really,Really shouldn't have been dropped from their regular lineup- this is a near exact dupe for Chanel's Coco Mademoiselle . The products layer under the pricey Chanel seamlessly.

01st July, 2012 (Last Edited: 28 May, 2014)

familytreekb's avatar

I think it smells sexy and mysterious. Of course, the scent doesn't last for more than 5 minutes. It's a great bargain. My boss did say that it smells like men's cologne...

26 November, 2009

sblades138's avatar

Okay - so I had to give my opinion on this 'popular for the masses' fragrance. You have to give Bath and Body Works a little credit for this one. I have enjoyed a couple (and I do mean no more than 2 or 3) fragrances from BBW, besides my love for the Scentport plug-ins (sandalwood vanilla rocks!). I admit to having an off-again/on-again love affair with Japanese Cherry Blossom (hey, the hubby finds it hot!) Being the snob that I am, I probably would never wear these fragrances when going out...like "out out," and probably not even to teach undergrads who honesty don't care about my class nor my perfume. However, I like a spritz of a nice smell after the gym or in my car...or even when cleaning the house. Would I want to waste my Coco Mademoiselle during these moments? No. Is Black Amethyst close enough to remind me of Coco Mademoiselle without the guilt of "wasting" my Chanel? Yes.

Black Amethyst has more depth than many perfumes in the same price range, and on me I get all middle and bottom notes which is really great. I know the top notes are supposed to be comprised of fruit and melon or the equivalent of those, but I don't smell those notes one bit (thank goodness!). The first sniff is a little sweet (although again - not fruity nor melony) for my tastes, but it is the same with Coco Mademoiselle for me. In contrast, the dry down has a much deeper earthy pitch to it without losing any sexy (albeit younger) femininity. This is much more complex than I ever would have imagined from BBW, and I now feel like a snooty jackass for having scoffed the idea of trying it for so long.

You can't write off a perfectly nice (I didn't say "amazing") fragrance because it is a bit of a rip-off of some other favorites. Any pleasant smell has a time and a place, and while I don't love this fragrance I will still give it a thumbs up simply for the low price tag on a surprisingly lovely fragrance for those times when you just don't care to bring out the big guns, or those times that we all have when we just can't splurge on the pricier stuff. Black Amethyst - you are a-okay in my books!

29 July, 2009

NebraskaLovesScent's avatar

Does it smell like Tom Ford Black Orchid? Yes, a little.

Does it smell like Chanel Coco Mademoiselle? Yes, a little.

Does it smell like Viktor and Rolf's Flowerbomb? Yes, a little.

Black Amethyst seems to be "inspired" by several popular and high-selling fragrances, but it also smells unique. It's not a blatant knock-off of any of the above scents. Looking at other recent Bath and Body Works fragrances, I think they're trying to tap into the same vein of some popular fragrances (and what perfume house doesn't do this when someone else launches a scent that grab's the public's imagination?) Kudos to them for branching out into more sophisticated perfumery. They did a great job with this scent.

This is also the first Bath and Body Works fragrance that I have purchased (well, actually, it was a gift, but same diff. I didn't care to own one before this one.) If you had written them off previously for their simple fruity scents, you'll be pleasantly surprised by Black Amethyst. It's complex, sexy and smells much more expensive than it is. The longevity is so-so on me, but the overall effect is so pleasant, and the scent is so affordable, that I give it Four Stars and a Thumbs Up!

16 March, 2009

Tovah's avatar

According to Osmoz.com, "John Gamba, Master Perfumer at Givaudan, created Black Amethyst with autumnís deep, rich mysterious hues in mind." It's an autumn dream of me in a Beaux Arts mansion, sitting on a purple velvet window cushion, surrounded by a misty breeze wafting through white lace curtains, anxiously aware of approaching heavy footsteps...(think BrontŽ sisters or Daphne Du Maurier.) I adore Black Amethyst. Believe it or not, it's the first Bath and Body Works fragrance I've ever purchased! I have the brand new edt in the classy square bottle with a tall, frosted, stately cap. The top notes are somewhat sweet, consisting of predominantly dry, dusky vanilla, with slight hints of berry. What made me fall in a big way for this scent, is the base notes. On me the patchouli is light and honeyed, and the vetiver is deep and green. This fragrance contains my favorite base note blend: Patchouli, Sandalwood, Vetiver, Vanilla, and Musk, and they're radiant with my chemistry. On me, this is one heck of a complex fragrance. It initially reminds me of Deep Red, and then I think of Ralph Lauren Notorious, and then Narciso Rodriquez edp. I've seen many comparisons between Black Amethyst and Black Orchid, which I'm sure delight the perfumer, who must have used Black Orchid for "inspiration". When the Black Amethyst is sprayed in the air, or on a scent strip, I definitely get the comparison. However, on my skin, when it reaches full development, Black Amethyst is reminiscent of Allure Sensuelle. It's alluring, and sensual. (Definitely not one of the dreaded "fruity body spray" scents that permeate junior high classrooms.) Plus, the price can't be beat. I hit a sale today, which allowed me to buy two fragrances and get one for free. A 2.5 oz bottle sells for $26.50, which is a major bargain even without the freebie! The lasting power of Black Amethyst is okay. Typical of, maybe even a little better than most edts, but, for the price and the size of the bottle, I can spray and spray and re-spray without guilt. Overall, an extremely positive purchase.

03 February, 2009

• Time Left: 26 days
    BATH & BODY WORKS BLACK AMETHYST EDT PERFUME 2.5 OZ X2
    • Time Left: 21 days
    (Shipping from United States)
    BLACK AMETHYST Eau de Toilette EDT Perfume Mist 2.5oz FULLSIZE Bath & Body Works
    • 0 Bid(s)