Black Amethyst

Average Rating: 3.5

Based on 37 ratings

Black Amethyst Fragrance Notes

Black Amethyst information

Black Amethyst is a women's fragrance by Bath and Body Works.

Reviews of Black Amethyst

Showing 1 to 6 of 9 reviews.
    positive 8 Positive Reviewsneutral2 Neutral Reviewsnegative No Negative Reviews

Allen-on-Holiday's avatar

Since I donít see one male review, hereís mine. I think Black Amethyst is dark, heavy, and mysterious and definitely has that ďwowĒ factor. Yes, Iíve heard how itís a rip-off of Tom Fordís Black Orchid, among others, but I have never smelled Black Orchid (I think I am the only one who hasnít). Black Amethyst is slightly too floral for my tastes, but Iíve heard it has sometimes been mistaken it for a menís cologne. I can easily imagine wearing this with a tuxedo at a formal event. It seems especially good in cold weather. And because itís from Bath and Body Works, Black Amethyst is available in spray, lotion, and shower gel, which is a huge plus. And in my opinion, Black Amethyst is the only Bath & Body Works fragrance worth wearing, with the single exception of Midnight Pomegranate.

08th January, 2015 (Last Edited: 09th January, 2015)

Adrastea's avatar

Reminds me of mens cologne. Not too over powering. I would not buy it again though because I prefer a more fruity scent.

01st May, 2013

bookwyrmsmith's avatar

Black Amethyst is one of BBW's better complex offerings and as such it may be too grown-up for those who frequent BBW for an olefactory sugar high .As of summer 2012 they seem to be discontinueing it.Naturally-Murphy's Law .
    I went in for the 2012 SAS and bought the entire line.The tart/sweet berries,vetiver and sandlewood and incense smell good and should work well with several higher end scents: Black Orchid,Hot Couture, and Midnight Fantasy spring to mind. This really,Really shouldn't have been dropped from their regular lineup- this is a near exact dupe for Chanel's Coco Mademoiselle . The products layer under the pricey Chanel seamlessly.

01st July, 2012 (Last Edited: 28th May, 2014)

familytreekb's avatar

I think it smells sexy and mysterious. Of course, the scent doesn't last for more than 5 minutes. It's a great bargain. My boss did say that it smells like men's cologne...

26th November, 2009

sblades138's avatar

Okay - so I had to give my opinion on this 'popular for the masses' fragrance. You have to give Bath and Body Works a little credit for this one. I have enjoyed a couple (and I do mean no more than 2 or 3) fragrances from BBW, besides my love for the Scentport plug-ins (sandalwood vanilla rocks!). I admit to having an off-again/on-again love affair with Japanese Cherry Blossom (hey, the hubby finds it hot!) Being the snob that I am, I probably would never wear these fragrances when going out...like "out out," and probably not even to teach undergrads who honesty don't care about my class nor my perfume. However, I like a spritz of a nice smell after the gym or in my car...or even when cleaning the house. Would I want to waste my Coco Mademoiselle during these moments? No. Is Black Amethyst close enough to remind me of Coco Mademoiselle without the guilt of "wasting" my Chanel? Yes.

Black Amethyst has more depth than many perfumes in the same price range, and on me I get all middle and bottom notes which is really great. I know the top notes are supposed to be comprised of fruit and melon or the equivalent of those, but I don't smell those notes one bit (thank goodness!). The first sniff is a little sweet (although again - not fruity nor melony) for my tastes, but it is the same with Coco Mademoiselle for me. In contrast, the dry down has a much deeper earthy pitch to it without losing any sexy (albeit younger) femininity. This is much more complex than I ever would have imagined from BBW, and I now feel like a snooty jackass for having scoffed the idea of trying it for so long.

You can't write off a perfectly nice (I didn't say "amazing") fragrance because it is a bit of a rip-off of some other favorites. Any pleasant smell has a time and a place, and while I don't love this fragrance I will still give it a thumbs up simply for the low price tag on a surprisingly lovely fragrance for those times when you just don't care to bring out the big guns, or those times that we all have when we just can't splurge on the pricier stuff. Black Amethyst - you are a-okay in my books!

29th July, 2009

NebraskaLovesScent's avatar

Does it smell like Tom Ford Black Orchid? Yes, a little.

Does it smell like Chanel Coco Mademoiselle? Yes, a little.

Does it smell like Viktor and Rolf's Flowerbomb? Yes, a little.

Black Amethyst seems to be "inspired" by several popular and high-selling fragrances, but it also smells unique. It's not a blatant knock-off of any of the above scents. Looking at other recent Bath and Body Works fragrances, I think they're trying to tap into the same vein of some popular fragrances (and what perfume house doesn't do this when someone else launches a scent that grab's the public's imagination?) Kudos to them for branching out into more sophisticated perfumery. They did a great job with this scent.

This is also the first Bath and Body Works fragrance that I have purchased (well, actually, it was a gift, but same diff. I didn't care to own one before this one.) If you had written them off previously for their simple fruity scents, you'll be pleasantly surprised by Black Amethyst. It's complex, sexy and smells much more expensive than it is. The longevity is so-so on me, but the overall effect is so pleasant, and the scent is so affordable, that I give it Four Stars and a Thumbs Up!

16th March, 2009

HIGHEST BID
    Bath and Body Works Black Amethyst EDT Perfume 2.5oz New in Box DISCONTINUED
    • Time Left: 26 days
    (Shipping from United States)
    Bath & Body Works Black Amethyst Eau De Toilette 1fl.oz (new)
    • Time Left: 15 days
    NIB Bath & Body Works Black Amethyst EDT Limited Edition Rare Discontinued 1oz
    • Time Left: 29 days
    (Shipping from United States)
    BATH BODY WORKS BLACK AMETHYST BUTTERFLY FLOWER JAPANESE CHERRY BLOSSOM EDT 30ML
    • Time Left: 16 days
    Bath & Body Works BLACK AMETHYST 2.5 OZ Eau De Toilette NEW IN BOX RETIRED
    • Time Left: 5 days
    Bath&Body Works~BLACK AMETHYST~EDT/perfume/spray/mist~2.5 oz X (1)~NIB
    • Time Left: 27 days
    BATH & BODY WORKS BLACK AMETHYST FRAGRANCE ROLL-ON .28 OZ
    • Time Left: 25 days
    (Shipping from United States)
    Bath & Body Works Black Amethyst EDT/Perfume, 1.Oz. NIB Ltd. Ed.-RARE!
    • Time Left: 22 days