Explorer (2008)

Explorer information

Year of Launch2008

HouseBoadicea the Victorious

About Explorer

Explorer is a feminine perfume by Boadicea the Victorious. The scent was launched in 2008

Explorer fragrance notes

Reviews of Explorer

I'm quite enjoying this one, despite all the bad reviews. On me, Explorer smells like woods mixed with boozy immortelle and dark rum. It's undeniably dark, like a song in a minor key, though I find it much more natural smelling than the other reviewers here. There's a quiet opoponax giving it a loamy earth smell, which gives way to Lutens-esque dried fruits soaked in booze as the day goes on. The whole thing reminds me of that mix of resins that Andy Tauer uses quite often, but set against booze and dark, damp woods.

My only real complaint is that it comes off fairly linear. The transition from earthy to fruity is subtle - the boozy wood is always in the forefront and doesn't change much. That being said, I like the smell so Explorer earns a thumbs up from me!
04th January, 2016
a cclashing concoction of synthetic notes thrown in your face, rather much the same vibe of the same hous..gloomy but boring
30th April, 2015
Explorer by Boadicea is probably the nicest scent by this brand I’ve tested so far. It opens with a rubbery, dry, spicy and dark blend centered on sour woods (cedar, but really dry and gloomy), herbs, galbanum, austere resins and initially just a hint of labdanum. The texture is thin, leathery (no leather, though), somehow quiet but bold and threatening. The mood is refined and mysterious, fairly synthetic too but not (that) unpleasant, as it nicely recreates a sort of fascinating, nocturnal, silent and obscure “natural mood”, with nuances of aged wood, something salty-camphoraceous that reminds me of ambergris, dusty resins. In the middle stages it “warms up” a bit, and the orris root note emerges – fairly restrained and tamed down, well concealed behind the general austere darkness, but it’s there; almost not powdery at all (as you would expect instead), rather rooty-earthy and dusty, with a hint of amber too. Finally, a smoky, earthy, shy rose note emerges, quite a “masculine” rose despite being much subtle. Overall Explorer remains sour and dry in a way that becomes a bit boring after a while, but with a fascinating, sophisticated feel of austere darkness. Not saying it’s particularly good, but say: “not unpleasant”.

6,5/10
11th December, 2014
Genre: Leather

Explorer’s dry, bitter, aromatic top notes are harsh and musty to my nose, and time does little to soften the composition. Medicinal oudh steps up quickly, accompanied by a smoky birch tar and a stark conifer resin note. The effect is one of “biker” leather that bears a passing resemblance to the bitter galbanum and birch tar top notes of Bandit eau de parfum. (This is the second Boadicea the Victorious scent to remind me of Bandit in its opening, the first having been Complex.) The leather and oudh might also sound like Montale’s Oud Cuir d’Arabie, but Explorer smells very different: it is a cold, stark, flinty scent that has none of the Montale’s animalic sensuality. Oud Cuir d’Arabie oozes sex, but I’d never dream of getting into bed with Explorer’s hard edges and sharp angles.

A scent that’s this uncomfortable by design intrigues me as a concept. After all, a confrontational stance is part of the strange beauty and originality that’s manifest in masterpieces like Yatagan, Kouros, the old Route du Vétiver, Vero Profumo’s Onda, and Muscs Koublaï Khan. Yet Explorer is so unrelievedly abrasive in its execution that it becomes tiresome. Lacking both contrast and internal balance, it slips across the boundary from challenging to irritating. This I can live without.
13th June, 2014
I purchased a sample of this from a certain fragrance shop in LA, which shall remain nameless unless they wish to pay me for endorsements, and was not disappointed as some others were. The fragrance is manly and complex with above average longevity, but not overpowering to others. I like this one, but the cost is an issue. I think there are others that I would actually spend money on before this one.
24th December, 2013
Peppery, leathery, oud. Some citrus right up front but that is masked, at least on my skin, by the darker notes. Very medicinal and some would say harsh. Dries to a woody, close to the skin note pretty quickly. Heavy leather throughout.

It is listed as feminine, but it's certainly more masculine than anything, to my nose. Sort of linear, too. Not a scent you'll likely get many compliments from but it's well constructed and makes me think of a wooden box holding like a single orange with a crap of black pepper and some tobacco. Dark, brooding, very masculine. Just not sure when you'd wear it.

Cost is an issue too. It's pretty expensive for a scent like this, I think.
16th May, 2012

Add your review of Explorer

Shop for Explorer products online

Search Amazon for Explorer

Member images of Explorer

There are no member images of Explorer yet. Why not be the first?