Breath of God (2007)

PerfumerSimon Constantine

About Breath of God

This fragrance is a blend of B's Inhale and Exhale

Reviews of Breath of God

Lush Breath of God is a modern natural take on the aromatic/minty barber-shop theme. I adore this sharply fruity cool "laundry" fragrance. The general "a la Comme des Garcons" atmosphere is vaguely medicinal (along the first stage), minty, misty (peppery-smoky-incensey), opaque (a spicy rose enhances a sort of laundry opacity) and hallmarked by a weird fruity/floral/hesperidic spark of colour which cuts the "film noir-like" general ambience. The "infamous" fruitiness is actually provided by a spicy accord of tangerine/neroli, lime, nutmeg (may be cloves) and grapefruit connected with several floral elements (a noir jasmine too??). Breath of God is a "toiletries kind" fresh connection of mint, earthy woods, (bay leaves too??), smoke, fruits and fluidy fresh frankincense. The latter is freshly fluidy, smokey and vaguely leathery. The peppery presence is central throughout together with hesperides (lime, bergamot), forest resins and soap (wax, amber??). The soapy dry down is woodsy (woody-mossy), tobacco veined, weirdly spicy, still dusty and surprisingly balmy-leathery. In this final (misty-smoky-leathery) phase the aroma smells like an ideal "date" between Gucci Pour Homme (or Durbano Black Tourmaline with its final dusty leathery wave), C&S Cuba (with its fresh laundry exoticism provided by ylang-ylang and incensey tobacco) and the freshly barber-shop Cuba Paris Cuba Black. Recommended if you wave on this genre.
04th April, 2015
dark, smoky, noir.. but, alas, a cheap mix of Black Tourmaline /Encre Noir, moderate projection and duration...
18th March, 2015
Although this fragrance was intriguing with its bold opening, the dry down did not relent its olfactory assault and it quickly became a "scrubber." Even after trying to wash it off I had to endure scorning comments from friends and family who had to endure residual wafts throughout the day. My brother-in-law summed it up best after having asked me what the name of the fragrance was... I told him it was Breath of God and he replied, "you mean, the Morning Breath of God..." Bingo!
13th March, 2015
I have worn this quite a few times. Seems different every single time I wear it. I've had it go from smoky, incence, spicy to almost a bubblegum smell. Never had anything like it. I've noticed if I'm active it smells one way, if warm another, if cold even another. Sure not to get bored with this one. I have found when wearing I get the same co-workers asking, "What are you wearing?", like it is the first time they have smelled it. Rather funny when I tell them it's the same scent. I do get compliemnts either way and rather enjoy the way it changes.
26th January, 2015
Horrid. Urge to wash quickly.
26th December, 2014
Genre: Woody Oriental

Breath of God blends Lush’s previous scents, Exhale and Inhale, and since the two left contrary impressions, I was curious to experience the combination. Exhale is an austere blend of smoky leather, vetiver, and musk, in a style reminiscent of Chanel’s Sycomore or L’Artisan Parfumeur’s Dzongkha. I enjoy it enough to keep a bottle. Inhale is a sweet artificial fruit fragrance with chemical overtones that are more unpleasant than interesting. I find it at once crass and incomplete. Their unlikely alliance in Breath of God is touted as one of the oddest structures in contemporary fragrance, but as much as I enjoy the result, Inhale and Exhale together yield what seems to me a more conventional scent than either alone.

To wit, Inhale’s citrus and amber atop Exhale’s vetiver and woods amount to a sweet, resinous oriental fragrance with antecedents as far back as Shalimar and Habanita. It’s good, but nowhere as peculiar as either of it’s components. On the plus side, what smelled truncated and grating in Inhale finds needed support in Exhale’s base notes. The result is much more gratifying than Inhale alone, yet at the same time Breath of God lacks the dramatically gaunt profile and stark chiaroscuro that make Exhale so compelling. Forced to choose between these three offerings, I’d take Exhale, but as it’s no longer being offered I the US*, I’ll settle for endorsing Breath of God.

*Since this review was originally posted, Lush has seen fit to reissue Exhale in the US.
09th June, 2014