Wood Violet (2008)

Based on 30 ratings

Wood Violet Fragrance notes

Violet, Plum, Cedar, Cinnamon, Clove, Sandalwood, Violet leaf, Musk

Wood Violet information

Wood Violet is a women's fragrance by Sonoma Scent Studio. The scent was launched in 2008

Reviews of Wood Violet

Showing 1 to 6 of 8 reviews.

deadidol's avatar

After a while, it becomes possible to notice a number of crossovers in the scents from this line, and this one seems to be a synthesis of a few. It opens with some notes that resemble the floral / leafy components in To Dream and Nostalgie, but it also carries some likeness to the sweet labdanum that pops up quite often in others—only there is no labdanum in this. What this suggests is that the house labdanum deploys an ancillary component that's also complimentary to other blends.

Anyhow, Wood Violet opens quite plummy with a bit of an effervescent wine effect. It’s rich and heady, and the initial blast might be perceived as a tad too syrupy although it’s not nearly as diabetic as other plummy violets. There’s a dryness to this that seems to come from orris or a rooty, stemmy kind of note. The base is a soft musky wood that’s also similar to others from the brand, but it doesn’t stand out in this particular composition. This is, after all, really all about the violet.

And violet it is—a soft purple, tinted with flecks of maroon and a touch of spices to add interest. The violet itself is quite big, but the scent is fairly restrained to the point where during my first wear I thought it had vanished. It’s quite long lasting, but once the initial jammy notes have vacated, it starts to feel a little less special. I think it’s the cedar (or maybe nutmeg?), but there’s a slight singed note that appears in a number of scent from the line, and I detect it here as well. It’s not prominent enough to be an issue, and I’m sure it grants the scent some grit, but it renders the fragrance a tad dry whereas I’d imagine it being a little more sweet.

It does the powder / lipstick thing at points, but the aforementioned texture keeps it from going too far down this path. It’s definitely not my favorite, but like all the scents from Laurie, it’s impeccably pieced together and should be on the radar for any and all violet fans looking for a new favorite.

22 April, 2014

alfarom's avatar

Violets and I generally don't get along very well and unfortunately Wood Violet makes no exception. With that said, I still appreciate how it skips the usual thick sweetness associated with this note. The fragrance opts for a tart and plush fruitiness and it's surrounded by an overall leafy green vibe that makes it more tolerable for me. Problem comes with the unbearable powderyness that kicks in during the middle phase and lasts till the very final stages of the woody-musky drydown.

If you like the genre, you might want to give it a chance but for my personal tastes this is a no-go. Sorry.

28 December, 2013

Quarry's avatar

I'm not detecting violets, but perhaps a hint of rose and a puckeringly dry, tannic wood which smells antique and imbued with oils.

22 January, 2013

wholovesyou?theuniverse!'s avatar

Germany Germany

Violet candy and japanese plummy wood incense. Refined, smoky. The color murasaki comes to mind, the japanese novel of the same name. Check out the sections on incense making and incense guessing games! What a find.

10th December, 2012

sherapop's avatar

Sonoma Scent Studio WOOD VIOLET is much more about wood than about violet. The burnt cedar note really dominates the composition, overshadowing whatever floral components might be present. The violet, in particular, is virtually drowned out, aside from the violet leaves which are slightly detectable. WOOD VIOLET is a woody oriental but not a particularly subtle one. I think that it might be too loud for most males, and it smells too much like a wood shop for me. There is also a beefy facet to the burnt cedar note in this composition which reminds me of a lumberjack or a cross-country trucker such as I often saw driving down the main drag, Division Street, in St. Cloud, Minnesota, where I had the displeasure to live for about a year. Désolée.

10th July, 2011

msleslie's avatar

Wood Violet was sent to me in a Violet Sampler. All of the rest were sweet and sweeter, and that lovely sweetness was just what my novice nose desired. So I put this one aside and used all the others.

I have just found and sampled this one again, now that I am very weary of all the sweet and sweeter violets, and find it very beguiling. Dry, woodsy, sophisticated, and yummy. Now weren't they clever to include this in my Violet Sampler? It is just what my jaded nose needed!

04 May, 2011