Sel Marin

Average Rating: 4

Based on 136 ratings

Sel Marin Fragrance Notes

Sel Marin information

Sel Marin is a unisex fragrance by Heeley.

Shop for Sel Marin products online

Reviews of Sel Marin

Showing 1 to 6 of 37 reviews.

sidewinder's avatar

Light, fleeting, expensive. 3 out of 5 stars. Pass

09 August, 2014

DanHD's avatar

I found this fragrance pretty interesting. Itís more like an environment than a noticeable scent. Of course you can smell the aquatic salty note and thereís the licorice somewhere in the middle, but itís all very subdued and atmospheric. I increased the number of sprays from my sample, but just got a little more sea breeze, but then after about 8 hours I was overwhelmed with a nauseating salty-sea-syrup smell and had to scrub it off.

I think this is worth trying, and for folks living away from the ocean itíd probably be a nice transport. But since I live near the ocean, itís a little redundant and too simple for me.

23 July, 2014

Way Off Scenter's avatar

Genre: Aquatic

Sel Marin is essentially the crispy-clean licorice and vetiver accord from Heeleyís outstanding Cuir Pleine Fleur: Cuir Pleine Fleur without the Cuir. Shorn of the warm birch tar and soft leather, this accord is buoyant, breezy, and transparent. Garnished as it is in Sel Marin with just the lightest sprinkling of cucumber aquatic notes, it is brilliantly suggestive of a warm summer day on the dunes, complete with tufts of beach grass and a light ocean breeze. Projection and sillage are both moderate, but adequate. Iím particularly pleased that the aquatic notes remain reserved and quiet, since in most cases they project too much for my liking and leave me smelling like the victim of a chemical spill.

Fragrance critic Luca Turin is spot-on when he describes Sel Marin as a close cousin of Diptyqueís great and tragically discontinued Virgilio. Virgilio has none of Sel Marinís aquatic notes, and the Heeley is less green and less floral than the Diptyque, but the featured salty licorice accord in both is very, very close indeed. When one door closes, another one opens. Now I know what to buy should I ever use up my beloved bottle of Virgilio.

02 July, 2014

The_Cologneist's avatar

I finally tried the much hyped Sel Marin.. dubbed as one of the best niche aquatics around. Ehh.. well. I am quite critical, and for me, this just doesn't cut it. UNTIL-- I tried this again, and ya know what.. this really is quite good.

Upon the opening I can't help but think Voyage d'Hermes, but fruiter, less peppery, maybe even more along the lines of Sean Jean Unforgivable, or Wall Street. If nobody would have ever mentioned the smell of "fishy water", I probably would have never noticed it, but it is definitley there, my guess would be the algae note. It's not so much fishy water, as it is just the smell of the ocean in general, which is actually a plus, because it's a quite the natural smell. It's probably the reason this one evokes the feel of the beach. About an hour in, and the middle and top notes are still there. Eventually taking on a more mossy, musky, base with a touch of leather.

All in all, I think this one is quite nice, but it just reminds me of so many others. What would be nice would be a salty/sea/marine aquatic, or whatever this category of aquatics is.. that actually smells different. They all seem to smell alike in this specific genre. Although it is nice, and a bit more natural than others. Projection and longevity are just mediocre on my skin.

10th June, 2014 (Last Edited: 20th July, 2014)

Colin Maillard's avatar

Superb. I always hate (I really mean it: hate) "salty", "sea", "iodine" fragrances. Most of the times it's either a blast of calone, or you end up in smelling like a fisherman. This instead is just perfect, brilliant. Elegant, light, clear, transparent and linear as you can expect from Heeley. I like the fact it takes a boring and overrated accord (the salty/iodine note) and takes it, like... "indoor", like watching the sea from a window, so there is a diagonal accord of leather and "cold" green notes that somehow makes the scent less close to a predictable "natural" world, making it smell more like if you are sitting on a white, comfortable, cozy sofa, wearing a crisp clean shirt, just looking at the sea, windows open. An intriguing texture of "indoor" artificial soapy cleanliness with natural organic sea notes. Well done!

08 March, 2014 (Last Edited: 26 April, 2014)

silentrich's avatar

Fantastic fragrance for a warm climate or warm weather. Reminds me of Creed's Erolfa, but I think the quality of the notes are better in Sel Marin. Where Erolfa's can come off as a bit more aquatic in nature, Sel Marin tempers it with a really enjoyable lemon note with a touch of saltiness. The blending of the notes are what makes this fragrances. You can distinguish them, but nothing dominates. Great fragrance.

04 March, 2014

Add your review of Sel Marin

Search for on eBay United States

James Heeley Sel Marin 5ml in Refillable Atomizer Spray
    • Listing Type: Buy it Now
    • Time Left: 15 days
    Ebay United States
    (Shipping from United States)
    Heeley Sel Marin 100 ML
    • Listing Type: Auction
    • 1 Bid(s)
    • Time Left: 1 day
    HIGHEST BID
    Ebay United States
    (Shipping from United States)