Sel Marin (2008)

Sel Marin information

Year of Launch2008

HouseHeeley

About Sel Marin

Sel Marin is a shared / unisex perfume by Heeley. The scent was launched in 2008

Sel Marin fragrance notes

Reviews of Sel Marin

I don't like aquatics, but this one is pleasant. Although it’s not my favorite blend, I can see the quality in the composition, doesn't smell synthetic and it's soft, airy and linear. Good for a warm summer day when you'd want something for cooling off.
09th October, 2018
Heeley Sel Marin has a top-tier reputation among aquatic fragrances, so I'm glad to finally sample it (via a Luckyscent dabber, albeit). I gravitate toward heavier / cold weather fragrances so it's always a treat to try a new freshie.

As it's name suggests, it's salt water, mainly, with a few interesting hints added: seaweed, vetiver, birch, and lemon, each proving useful to add both variation and depth to the blend.

On my skin, Sel Marin comes off slightly minty, as well, not necessarily good or bad, but it makes the blend more nuanced.

I like salty aquatics like this. One that comes to mind is the rarely-discussed Nautica Oceans that rarely atomizes well but instead is launched in watery bursts and provides the simply scent of salty water but without the dirtiness of calone.

Sel Marin is more subtle, by comparison, but I have reservations about whether it's worth the $180 for 100ml retail pricing. As a premier aquatic offering, it could be worthwhile to anyone who loves it, but I have a difficult time regarding its performance as strong from a dabber, and if it requires a bunch of sprays to last, that could diminish its value.

At minimum, it's a very good entry that I'd like to wear some more, and clearly it was created with care, and is worthy of sampling by anyone, as it's a solid warm weather option.

7 out of 10
12th July, 2018
This is not how the ocean smells in NYC. This is the scent of the ocean from the deck of a cargo ship transporting citrus fruit. Clean, but with that subtle hint of green, salty seaweed to liven up everything. Toward the end you can even smell the deckhands leather gloves.

Nice and light. I immediately got a blast of lemon and salt, which quickly dissipated, leaving a more subtle citrus and sea salt. After about 30 min that green/seaweed note becomes apparent. It ends with a salty, leather and wood note. Very nice all around, but longevity isnt great.
16th May, 2018 (last edited: 22nd May, 2018)
Sel Marin is a breezy, salty aquatic with no calone, some wet, green, mossy notes and an extended dry down. Contrary to others' views, I do not find Sel Marin to be a realistic representation of sea or beaches. It is more of an abstract interpretation. This abstraction is evident in the way the citrus notes (lemon and bergamot) are handled - they lose their atypical characteristics to become a part of the central accord of the composition. The most prominent actor is the salty effect, which is novel but can be sharp or synthetic to some. Many will revere or dislike Sel Marin largely because of it. In my mind Sel Marin is the mood of being on a desolate beach on a cool, cloudy day. As the hours pass by the fragrance quietens down, the salty shrillness makes way for soft notes of moss, wood and musk.

Sel Marin is stylistically very different from the other aquatics flooding the market - it has no sweetness, no calone, no fruity element, it's not stereotypical and it is more reflective and introspective. I find it to be similar to Sel de Vetiver, but Sel Marin is much more compelling and well crafted. I find Sel Marin to have low projection. I also thought it to be lacking in longevity, but that is not actually the case - the issue is that it quickly becomes a skin scent but persists for several hours. In summer it disappears from my skin in a quick three or four hours, but in slightly cooler weather it lingers on for at least seven or eight hours. I am not crazy about the salty aspect, I am okay with it. I wish it had a tad better projection in the dry down, but perhaps it was designed to be a skin scent. However, it does get noticed in close quarters, even after several hours.

Sel Marin also bears some structural similarities with Cuir Pleine Fleur, but is not as complex or innovative. I am torn between a neutral and a thumbs up, but will go with the latter on account of two considerations. Yes, it is expensive, but Sel Marin is one of the nice, interesting and innovative summer fragrances (even though personally it's too weak in very hot weather, but then most scents are ...), especially among aquatics. The second reason is a personal one, and it reflects my attitude towards beaches. I'm not crazy about them, but I do like to visit one that is deserted on a cool, cloudy, nondescript summer day.

3.5/5
15th May, 2018
Starts off with the scent of a sunny day on an ocean dock: I can smell lots of saltwater (and it's hyper-realistic), and a bit of the sea air as well as a hint of citrus. This is a really salty fragrance, and also very realistic to what a harbour actually smells like (no laundry detergent or "fresh aquatic" scent of calone here). As it progresses, I can smell the algae and even more seawater, and it mellows out in the end to a lemony-moss sort of scent with lots of salt. It's hyper-realistic however it isn't that pleasant as far as perfumes go - I mean it smells like a dock and I like it but others around you may not. I also amp salt a lot so by the end I just end up smelling really salty, as if I've sweated a lot (but without the scent of sweat; only salt). Starts off unisex, but kind of leans feminine later on. If I had to give this perfume a colour it would be 'light yellow' and not blue as it's a bright seawater and ocean air at a dock scent rather than a dark deep seawater scent with seaweed like Bvlgari Aqva Pour Homme (in fact I couldn't smell any seaweed in Sel Marine). I think I prefer Aqva Pour Homme to this in terms of realistic ocean scent perfumes. Sillage is moderate, longevity is moderate.
04th March, 2018
Dry, Clean, Salty, Fresh, Clear.

Has to be one of the most natural smelling fragrances out there. It starts with a dry lemony salty note that keeps for the duration, with the lemon eventually toning down. It's definitely linear but not to say it doesn't last for the rest of the day.
It's versatile enough to wear on a weekday or special trip. I wore this everyday on my honeymoon in Maui and for that it will be remembered.

It's amazing stuff. In a sea (hahaha) of aquatics, Sel Marin keeps it real.
16th February, 2018

Add your review of Sel Marin

Shop for Sel Marin products online

Shop for Sel Marin at online perfumeries

James Heeley Sel Marin EDP UNDER THE PIRATE FLAG 2ml PERFUME SAMPLE!!!

End Date: Wednesday Dec-26-2018 3:32:44 PST
Buy It Now for only: $19.00
Buy It Now | Add to watch list

SEL MARIN BY HEELEY EDP 3.4 OZ.

End Date: Sunday Jan-6-2019 7:04:06 PST

NEW HEELEY PARFUMS SEL MARIN

End Date: Tuesday Jan-8-2019 10:42:38 PST
Buy It Now for only: $180.00
Buy It Now | Add to watch list

HEELEY EDP SAMPLES VIAL TRAVEL SPRAY 5ml or 10 ml.

End Date: Saturday Jan-12-2019 16:36:35 PST
Buy It Now for only: $17.00
Buy It Now | Add to watch list

HEELEY EDP SAMPLES VIAL TRAVEL SPRAY 5ml or 10 ml.

End Date: Saturday Jan-12-2019 16:36:35 PST