Sel Marin

Average Rating: 4

Based on 136 ratings

Sel Marin Fragrance Notes

Sel Marin information

Sel Marin is a unisex fragrance by Heeley.

Shop for Sel Marin products online

Reviews of Sel Marin

Showing 1 to 6 of 39 reviews.

Superlekker13's avatar

At first, very fresh, I get a lot of citrus, maybe even cucumber, really nice and quite special. After half an hour, it smells too much like Cool Water women.

05 October, 2014

sidewinder's avatar

Light, fleeting, expensive. 3 out of 5 stars. Pass

09 August, 2014

DanHD's avatar

I found this fragrance pretty interesting. Itís more like an environment than a noticeable scent. Of course you can smell the aquatic salty note and thereís the licorice somewhere in the middle, but itís all very subdued and atmospheric. I increased the number of sprays from my sample, but just got a little more sea breeze, but then after about 8 hours I was overwhelmed with a nauseating salty-sea-syrup smell and had to scrub it off.

I think this is worth trying, and for folks living away from the ocean itíd probably be a nice transport. But since I live near the ocean, itís a little redundant and too simple for me.

23 July, 2014

Adama's avatar

I bought a decant of Sel Marin because I wanted to try out the "Top Two" aquatics, the other being Creed's Erolfa, and settle on a signature scent that represents my Atlantic Canada seaside life. While I fell in love with Erolfa, I wanted to know what Sel Marin was like because of the high praise it gets on Basenotes.

Sel Marin opens with a bitter, slightly spicy Lemon that quickly disappears behind some vaguely Green notes.

As it progresses, a sharp metallic note emerges (Salt I suppose, but it smells like a stainless steel counter) and the spiciness remains. The spice reminds me of a combination of Pepper and Allspice, and it eventually eclipses the "Salt" and dominates.

Seaweed emerges, but it's more like a very realistic algae wrapped in a wisp of an ocean breeze. To be honest, it reminds me a lot of when I would clean my fish tank as a child.

While I'm sorry that Sel Marin didn't live up to it's praise, I'm glad that I got it out of the way and can now buy Erolfa without worrying about what could have been.

Update:

This past summer I spent a day at the beach. Upon returning home, I sniffed my skin, and to my complete surprise... I smelled Sel Marin. The combination of sand, dried salt water, sunscreen, and whatever else my skin had absorbed that day was a perfect combination that instantly made me think of this scent that I'd dismissed months earlier.

I was humbled, and felt that I should mention this in my review.

11th July, 2014 (Last Edited: 18 September, 2014)

Way Off Scenter's avatar

Genre: Aquatic

Sel Marin is essentially the crispy-clean licorice and vetiver accord from Heeleyís outstanding Cuir Pleine Fleur: Cuir Pleine Fleur without the Cuir. Shorn of the warm birch tar and soft leather, this accord is buoyant, breezy, and transparent. Garnished as it is in Sel Marin with just the lightest sprinkling of cucumber aquatic notes, it is brilliantly suggestive of a warm summer day on the dunes, complete with tufts of beach grass and a light ocean breeze. Projection and sillage are both moderate, but adequate. Iím particularly pleased that the aquatic notes remain reserved and quiet, since in most cases they project too much for my liking and leave me smelling like the victim of a chemical spill.

Fragrance critic Luca Turin is spot-on when he describes Sel Marin as a close cousin of Diptyqueís great and tragically discontinued Virgilio. Virgilio has none of Sel Marinís aquatic notes, and the Heeley is less green and less floral than the Diptyque, but the featured salty licorice accord in both is very, very close indeed. When one door closes, another one opens. Now I know what to buy should I ever use up my beloved bottle of Virgilio.

02 July, 2014

The_Cologneist's avatar

I finally tried the much hyped Sel Marin.. dubbed as one of the best niche aquatics around. Ehh.. well. I am quite critical, and for me, this just doesn't cut it. UNTIL-- I tried this again, and ya know what.. this really is quite good.

Upon the opening I can't help but think Voyage d'Hermes, but fruiter, less peppery, maybe even more along the lines of Sean Jean Unforgivable, or Wall Street. If nobody would have ever mentioned the smell of "fishy water", I probably would have never noticed it, but it is definitley there, my guess would be the algae note. It's not so much fishy water, as it is just the smell of the ocean in general, which is actually a plus, because it's a quite the natural smell. It's probably the reason this one evokes the feel of the beach. About an hour in, and the middle and top notes are still there. Eventually taking on a more mossy, musky, base with a touch of leather.

All in all, I think this one is quite nice, but it just reminds me of so many others. What would be nice would be a salty/sea/marine aquatic, or whatever this category of aquatics is.. that actually smells different. They all seem to smell alike in this specific genre. Although it is nice, and a bit more natural than others. Projection and longevity are just mediocre on my skin.

10th June, 2014 (Last Edited: 20th July, 2014)

Add your review of Sel Marin

Search for on eBay United States

James Heeley Sel Marin 5ml in Refillable Atomizer Spray
    • Listing Type: Buy it Now
    • Time Left: 25 days
    Ebay United States
    (Shipping from United States)