Sel Marin (2008)

Sel Marin information

Year of Launch2008

HouseHeeley

About Sel Marin

Sel Marin is a shared / unisex perfume by Heeley. The scent was launched in 2008

Sel Marin fragrance notes

Reviews of Sel Marin

Fantastic!
Opens with a lemony/blue-green marine accord that is completely unlike boring "for men" aquatics.
As the lemon top notes fade, salty/dry comes to the forefront. "Salty/dry what?" You ask. I'm not sure. Gently reminiscent of seaweed and wood, and fresh-fresh-fresh.
There's an herbal undertone, almost liquorice, with a freshness suggestive of mint.
Accomplishes the color and feel of sea water, without being too predictable.
07th January, 2017
rbaker Show all reviews
A delightful blend of lemon and bergamot - a truly traditional starter - is notable by a slightly herbal-greenish undertone. After the first stage the sel marine note arises, and it is well made. Most crucially, in the drydown a mildly ozonic greenish whiff is present, at times reminding me of nori - dried Japanese seaweed sheaths, just saltier; and definitely saltier than Bergamotto Marino. On my skin this phase is delicious.

The base is less interesting with its woodsy impression added to a somewhat generic white musk background.

I get moderate sillage, good projection and an overall longevity of over eight hours, fading slowly.

A traditional seashore maritime summer scent, executed well with good-quality ingredients, with a less convincing base. 3.25/5
17th May, 2016
It's watery. And a bit salty. I'll give them that.

But for me it doesn't smell like the ocean at all. Neither does it smell very good.

More like a cucumber/bergamot/seaweed smoothie bought in a Los Angeles rawfood yoga café.

(Super healthy i'm sure, but the good part of perfumes is that it doesn't have any calories so i think i'll go with something heavier)
23rd February, 2016
Future Jason:

You first smelled this a few years back, and thought: "meh."

You last smelled this... today, and thought: "rope a dope."

Do preferences change that much in a few short years? They say that your tastebuds change every seven years. Perhaps the same can be said of nose... buds?

Or perhaps you're just less of an idiot than you were a few years back. The citrus combines very nicely with salty green stuff. It's in the neighborhood of Fleur de Liane, or Issey for men, with that floral-ish sourness, but bracing, rather than offputting. You like it.

You have a theory: perhaps it plays especially well in Oregon winters (you're checking in from a particularly grey February) as a foil, of sorts. Now, when you're in most desperate need of a reminder that the beach is a thing, the ocean is a thing, the summer is a thing, light is a thing... Stuff like this will pull you through.
02nd February, 2016
Quite taken with all the Heeley Perfumes tasted. They all carry a pure, fresh, contemporary feel. None have stood out as ostentatious or loud. They present a studied competence and precision admired. All have been and are extraordinarily wearable both in casual and formal.
Sel Marin is one of the only Aquatic or Ozonic worn with any enjoyment.
Would not purchase a Full Bottle. Personal choice.
Anyone who is interested in the Aquatic, Ozonic really needs to sample this, for it is indeed, well executed.
10th January, 2016 (last edited: 09th January, 2017)
Thanks to my good friend Purecaramel, I have finally been able to sample this gem!

This is definitely the aquatic I've been searching for. It smells exactly like the scent of being near the ocean. For me, it's a bit of a journey:

I first approach the beautiful verdant marshes of the NC and VA coasts. I was born and raised in NC, and I always enjoyed the boat rides thru the marshes to catch crabs in VA, or to simply enjoy the calm waters in NC. The opening and middle of this scent are a direct reminder of the salty scent upon the air, and the algae that, while pungent, is so calming and refreshing. I don't find it overwhelming to wear, and it seems natural - not synthetic and forced.

I next approach the beautiful beach - the warm (or cool) sand, and the view of that ever-expansive horizon and great blue water that I love so much. I feel an overwhelming sense of peace and joy. The beach and sea have always been Holy ground for me. The scent of this juice secures my mind of the very memories of standing on the beach. It is gorgeous. I realize that the top notes should be gone by now, but I think I am smelling some Italian Bergamot. There is something fresh, but not strong.

The last part is a symphony of warmth, sea spray and what smells to me like cucumber freshly sliced. It is so beautiful and un-pretentious. I absolutely love it, and can see this becoming a part of my collection - hopefully sooner than later!

Update: 2/11/16 I finally acquired this precious gem from a member of our community...I'll ask if I can give public accolades before I embarrass him :) Looking forward to summer more and more!
04th December, 2015 (last edited: 12th February, 2016)

Add your review of Sel Marin