Palisander
    by Ava Luxe

Average Rating: 3.5

Based on 11 ratings

Palisander Fragrance notes

Palisander wood, Japanese hiba wood, Amber, Incense, Musk, Pink pepper, Cinnamon, Vetiver

Palisander information

Palisander is a unisex fragrance by Ava Luxe.

Reviews of Palisander

Showing 1 to of 2 reviews.

bbBD's avatar

Working my way through samples of the Ava Luxe has been a real joy - quality fragrances that are easy to wear with out compromising on artistic merit or solid construction. It doesn't hurt that there are many near-gourmands, vanillas, and others with notes that appeal to me. Even among so many I enjoy, Palisander really stands out.

I have a thing for rosewood - I love that it's depth, which simultaneous evokes rose and wood has a near-cocoa like texture to it. Other fragrance with excellent rosewood notes are Rochas Tocade and Parfumerie Generale Brulure de Rose. Palisander starts with a solid rosewood note, rich and near-gourmand, accompanied with a touch of musk and a little amber that seems to always be lurking in the background. This note holds down the fort for quite a while, in fact just when you think it's a nice, but linear, fragrance I get little whiffs of frankincense and pepper, but just enough to give more depth to the primary rosewood accord. The combo of amber and incense reminds me a bit of Tauer's Incense Extreme, only Palisander is more subtle.

I stopped paying attention for a little while and it took me a minute to remember what was on my hand. As the base emerges the incense deepens and is joined by a discrete but noticeable vetiver note, along with an increase in musk. The combo of amber, incense and vetiver sounds odd, but it works well and the interplay between the incense and vetiver is particularly enjoyable. From the base the fragrance fades well. Longevity is very good. The only negative is that the fragrance stays a bit closer to the skin than I'd like, especially with it being so enjoyable, however this may be remedied by applying the extrait formulation, which is the one I intend to purchase soon.

Palisander wood (from renewable sources), Japanese Hiba wood, Amber, Incense
    Musk, Pink Pepper, Cinnamon, Vetiver

23 February, 2009

Palisander opens with a clear, direct, and quiet rosewood note. The note is so pure and clean that it is unnecessary to add anything more to it to make an interesting opening. It is a tiny bit powdery and creamy, and it projects less sharply and more restrained than rosewood notes Iíve encountered in other fragrances. After a long time of the openingís gradually lessening in power, I get a slight incense note, or maybe itís the pepper note. Whichever it is, it doesnít last long at all but the original woodnotes continue and last for hours. Eventually the drydown enters in and hereís where I pick up some vetiver and a touch of amber. I donít really pick up several of the notes listed in the pyramid: Iím missing the musk, the cinnamon, and Iím not sure that I picked up the hiba wood. Palisander is a very good wood scent, but it is very woody and you have to like wood to enjoy this fragrance.

16 December, 2008