Artisan (2009)

PerfumerRodrigo Flores-Roux
Parent CompanyElizabeth Arden Inc
Parent Company at launchShiseido > ZIC Corp

About Artisan

Artisan is a masculine fragrance by John Varvatos. The scent was launched in 2009 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Rodrigo Flores-Roux

Reviews of Artisan

rbaker Show all reviews
A pleasant mandarin citrus opening with a kitchen herb note leads to a somewhat exotic drydown, dominated by gentle spices and floral impressions. The base has a woodsy flavor. Never exciting, this is a nice, solidly crafted scent with decent sillage and projection on my skin, but an abysmal longevity - no, shortevity on me of two hours. Nevertheless, pleasant it is.
13th January, 2015
Smells like Versace Dreamer and Burberry Weekend mixed together. Horrible longevity(barely any) :(. Almost smells like Play Doh. Not gross, but not purchasable(unless it's pennies).
26th May, 2014
This was given to my husband as a gift. It made the rounds at our gathering and got the approving oohs and ahhs of a delightful fragrance-- I fear I'm the only person who doesn't like it!

It is incredibly feminine, so much so that I came online tonight to google and PROVE to my husband that he was wearing a perfume intended for women! (He wears it despite the many times I've told him how I feel.)

I'm floored to see that I was wrong and that it is indeed meant for men (though I can't even imagine what type). To me, this smells like an older woman and not in a good, sultry, experienced way. It's more like a 'Hey, Y'all! I'm Paula Deen!" attention grabbing sort of way with a big fake and bright white smile.

I sincerely fear for my husband's masculinity.
06th April, 2014
I have given a neutral as it is a lovely summery fresh orange and pith aroma with a little bit of ginger in the mid notes, but unfortunately there doesn't really seem to any base notes to speak of, and longevity is pretty useless- under 2 hours for me and it's all gone. Shame, if it lasted longer it would be a good one.
20th February, 2014 (last edited: 15th April, 2014)
Too much orange

Makes you smell like a box of oranges for about 30 minutes

Cons: Terible longevity, too citrusy"

09th October, 2013
"Artisan"?... "Artisan"?

I think I know what they are getting at with the name "Artisan."

Although the synthetics are quite apparent, it certainly is not the typical super sweet designer offering – these are highly esoteric synthetic accords... no kidding, the introduction of the lavender is so totally synthetic and yet it is entrancing in its beauty: the pyramid labels it as "lavandin" - quite beautiful as presented here. The opening citruses – clementine, tangelo, mandarin orange – join with lavender and are shadowed by background herbs – thyme, marjoram, to create an unusual somewhat dry, abstract orange / lavender accord. The accord in itself is rather aromatic and... unique? interesting? ...probably both! It is also a lot plastic... and the awe-inspiration of the solo lavandin is really kind of lost... the accord becomes a negative because of its genericness.

Some strong ginger notes begin moving into prominence signaling both the emerging heartnotes – slightly floral, orangish accord – and a relatively annoying mixture of ginger combined with the opening lavender. I was annoyed enough to wash it off, but because of its uniqueness, I was willing to last out the entire run of the fragrance, so I didn’t scrub... gotta show my respect for the artisans of the world.

So far I've gone from ethereal to generic, from generic to annoying... and now the the drydown brings me from annoying back to generic. The drydown is a lavender-orange-aromatic-woody "meh." In addition, the drydown has very limited lasting power... it really should last longer than it does.

I’m afraid that this fragrance does not impress me, but, oddly, I don’t dislike it even though I get mostly orange, synthetics, and that lavender / ginger combination that annoys me. My interpretation is that this is more a marketing department "artisan" rather than a creation by an actual artist / artisan -- an artist/artisan can work with only the materials they have, and if they had been allowed better quality raw materials, this would have been a very desirable fragrance. Oh... and also, the original John Varvatos is a better fragrance than this.

Pros: Some beautiful notes and accords. Would be a great scent with better quality ingredients.
Cons: Too generically synthetic."

23rd August, 2013

Add your review of Artisan

Shop for Artisan products online

Shop for Artisan at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Artisan

Member images of Artisan

There are no member images of Artisan yet. Why not be the first?