Artisan (2009)
    by John Varvatos

Artisan Fragrance Notes

Reviews of Artisan

Showing 1 to 6 of 56 reviews.

's avatar

Too much orange

Makes you smell like a box of oranges for about 30 minutes

Pros:
    Cons: Terible longevity, too citrusy"

09 October, 2013

foetidus

"Artisan"?... "Artisan"?

I think I know what they are getting at with the name "Artisan."

Although the synthetics are quite apparent, it certainly is not the typical super sweet designer offering these are highly esoteric synthetic accords... no kidding, the introduction of the lavender is so totally synthetic and yet it is entrancing in its beauty: the pyramid labels it as "lavandin" - quite beautiful as presented here. The opening citruses clementine, tangelo, mandarin orange join with lavender and are shadowed by background herbs thyme, marjoram, to create an unusual somewhat dry, abstract orange / lavender accord. The accord in itself is rather aromatic and... unique? interesting? ...probably both! It is also a lot plastic... and the awe-inspiration of the solo lavandin is really kind of lost... the accord becomes a negative because of its genericness.

Some strong ginger notes begin moving into prominence signaling both the emerging heartnotes slightly floral, orangish accord and a relatively annoying mixture of ginger combined with the opening lavender. I was annoyed enough to wash it off, but because of its uniqueness, I was willing to last out the entire run of the fragrance, so I didnt scrub... gotta show my respect for the artisans of the world.

So far I've gone from ethereal to generic, from generic to annoying... and now the the drydown brings me from annoying back to generic. The drydown is a lavender-orange-aromatic-woody "meh." In addition, the drydown has very limited lasting power... it really should last longer than it does.

Im afraid that this fragrance does not impress me, but, oddly, I dont dislike it even though I get mostly orange, synthetics, and that lavender / ginger combination that annoys me. My interpretation is that this is more a marketing department "artisan" rather than a creation by an actual artist / artisan -- an artist/artisan can work with only the materials they have, and if they had been allowed better quality raw materials, this would have been a very desirable fragrance. Oh... and also, the original John Varvatos is a better fragrance than this.

Pros: Some beautiful notes and accords. Would be a great scent with better quality ingredients.
    Cons: Too generically synthetic."

23 August, 2013

Augustmooninks's avatar
    Augustmooninks

Clean, fresh

I am seeing a lot of "orange" scent comments, but to me, I smell a lot of Iris scent in it?

22 May, 2013

Possum-Pie's avatar
    Possum-Pie

Orange and slight Orange flower. The top notes are citrus, citrus and ,citrus...with orange citrus thrown in. It definitely has a longevity better than most dept. store fragrances. It is fairly unique... Projection after 3 hrs isn't the best, but the longevity is better than most.

13 May, 2013

JackTwist's avatar
    JackTwist

Lovely dry orange (the fruit) scent - think Seville oranges - for once an orange scent without the accompanying orange blossom. This is dry and a lovely splash for summer wear. - my problem is that it disappears after an hour on me.

If it had longevity and - something else in the dry down - more woody - it would have been a hit, but its evaporation rate makes it valuable only as a splash, not as a scent wearable over a few hours.

28 December, 2012 (Last Edited: 30th December, 2012)

sjg3839's avatar
    sjg3839

Citrus (orange)slightly with a bit of ginger. This one is pretty good for the summer. Turns to a slightly woody frag in the basenotes. To me this one is not as good as Vintage.

The presentation of the bottle is alright. This one is worth trying.

22 November, 2012