Fat Electrician (2009)

Year of Launch2009

HouseEtat Libre d'Orange
PerfumerAntoine Maisondieu

About Fat Electrician

Fat Electrician is a shared / unisex perfume by Etat Libre d'Orange. The scent was launched in 2009 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Antoine Maisondieu

Fat Electrician fragrance notes

Reviews of Fat Electrician

A sweet vetiver.

The emphasis is more on the supporting sweet notes, than the vetiver itself. The myrrh makes the fragrance a little creamy, and there is a little bit of vanilla. The sweetness is comforting rather than cloying.

Overall this is quite a subtle fragrance. It has very low sillage and not the greatest longevity. It does not particularly explore vetiver or the sweet notes, nor is there any compelling accord. It comes across as insubstantial because of its scent profile and lack of tenacity.

Poor to okayish, and quite easily forgotten.

02nd June, 2017
When I first wore Fat Electrician, I tried to search all the boxes of my memory for what it reminded me of. The more I wore it, the more I enjoyed it, but just couldn't put a finger on it until now. It reminds me of when I was younger and I was dragged to church (Catholic church) and during certain holy days the priest would bring out the incense and bath the entire congregation with it and it filled the entire area. At the end of the service we all walked out with the scent of the incense clinging to our clothes and hair.

If you have a fancy dress like I did that required dry cleaning, the dress went back into the closet and next Sunday the smell of last's weeks service with all the pomp and clouds of incense would come flooding back. In fact, Fat Electrician took me way back to all those memories of the church services with the heavy myrrh, the lighting of the candles and the one time so much incense was used the fire alarm went off mid-service much to my amusement when I was a child.

My husband, on the other hand, took a whiff of this on me and said 'you know what....when I was younger my dad used to have pot parties back in the day and you smell like that bags of pot and hash that showed up at the house with whatever else they used to cover up that smell.....I don't like it at all.'

Fat Electrician is a definite thumbs up from me, but a big thumbs down from hubby, who associates the smell with not so happy memories. I appreciate the scent for what it is and the artistry behind it. I enjoy the memories it brings back for me, but sadly will not purchase full size at this time.
14th April, 2017
Starts with a nutty and smoky vetiver with a dusty sweet touch. I get something fruity also, but that passes after the first half hour. Going into the dry-down, this will be dry and smoky, with vanilla and vetiver. It is a take on the rooty and not grassy vetiver and although I can definitely can smell it in the composition, I believe the emphasized note is the opoponax. And I guess I understand the whipped cream note they list. It is a very pleasing smoky and almost gourmand fragrance.
10th April, 2017
My skin tends to magnify vetiver to the point that whenever I wear a scent in which it's a dominant note, I'm essentially wearing a soliflore.

Which is okay when it comes to vetiver, because I love it. It's such a strange smell, at once grassy and sweet and metallic and lemony and salty, evoking memories of sunlit days by the beach or out hiking in the desert underneath an uninterrupted canopy of blue so deep it looks artificial.

So whenever I want relief from my ginormous white floral bombs or heavily ambered orientals, I grab something with vetiver in it. Chanel Sycamore is my fave (and my kingdom to make my paltry 2ml sample of vintage Djedi last from here to eternity), but I'm happy to have Fat Electrician in my collection as well. It's pretty much all vetiver all the time, but one that is also sweet and bright—vetiver dipped in something luscious.

Which should smell gross, the olfactory equivalent of, say, mixing lemon and chocolate or drinking orange juice after brushing your teeth, but it doesn’t. Is that the "chestnut cream" working this bit of disparate magic? Who knows. I don't have the faintest idea what chestnut cream even IS (I suspect that half the time, these modern-day perfume notes are dreamed up by the same kinds of people who name collections of lipsticks and eye shadows), but if it's the thing that gives this particular vetiver its slightly gourmand edge, I'm totally down with it.
23rd February, 2017 (last edited: 25th February, 2017)
I find this rather brilliant conceptually. It does, for me, capture the whole fat electrician vibe along with that burnt wiring smell.

I'm really somewhat amazed by the cleverness behind this.

Longevity seems good. The projection seems moderate.

At the moment, I don't think this is a fragrance I'd want to wear often. Thus, I don't believe I'd purchase a full bottle.

But, I do definitely appreciate what these folks have accomplished with this as artwork.
14th February, 2017
Singed vetiver with a nice sweetness in the background. A curious scent that is, as you'd expect, more art perfume than crowd-pleaser. Not as difficult to wear as what I expected due to the cleanness of the vetiver and the sweet background. Projects pretty well as I don't have to try and smell it on my skin, keep getting wafts in my nose without any effort.
08th February, 2017