Only The Brave (2009)

Year of Launch2009

HouseDiesel
Parent CompanyL'Oréal Group > Prestige & Collections

About Only The Brave

Only The Brave is a masculine fragrance by Diesel. The scent was launched in 2009

Reviews of Only The Brave

Only the Brave is a fragrance for young guys who receive it as a gift. In that context, it's actually very good, excellent even. On the other hand, OTB was never going to do well here on Basenotes. It has obnoxious packaging, synthetic notes from start to finish and it was followed by flankers that tarnished the reputation of this reasonably competent original. But in the mid-level designer world the original OTB holds its head high and is actually quite decent quality for younger 20-somethings.

OTB opens with a powerful and sweet orange/apple fruitiness that is devoid of zest. This opening accord is unashamedly synthetic, as though it's boasting about it's artificiality because it's actually a decent abstract impression rather than a cheap substitute. A soft violet note joins the chorus after 15 minutes as the fruitiness subsides, and this is when the fragrance impresses most. Here the violet is masculine and friendly. And this is where the fragrance shows all its components, mustering up humble complexity for the nose to enjoy, unexpected in this segment. An hour later the leather note arrives, in the form of a chemical resonance that is softened by comforting amber.

I don't want to make out that OTB is spectacular. But it's clear that this is a launch that Diesel considered important enough to take note of what was going to be in the bottle. That's understandable because an original release must build its own name and win its own fans.

I wear this occasionally in the evening and find it to be a fun ride after wearing something much more serious to work. For younger guys, this is perfect for a night out.
25th July, 2016
Horrendous. It opens with clean light musk aquatic notes with a touch of pepper/leather, not bad but not great. After the top notes quickly wear off, this stuff turns very cloying and gross and does not go away. It stays in that unpleasant state until washed off. I know someone who wears this and can't say I enjoy smelling them. Synthetic musky pepper, I would never buy this again and tossed most of the bottle.
02nd December, 2015
Salutation.

In my opinion This cologne is Regretful of Their bottle.some people spent more money on the bottle concept than they did not on the Scent.

I wouldent say it is a Mesterpiece or Unique of DIESEL but for me it is A Good creation. Nice and Gentle.A mood elevator in SPRING weather. Meantime i wouldent say OTB is Seductive or Special but certainly that is A nice scent for the pleasure of the wearer.

A little strong in the begining but after a few minutes it smells is Soft and Light.The Bottle is Amazing,A wonderful design.Everyday i must touch this bottle!Perfect for EVERYDAY and INTIMATE occasion.

Sillage?Good

LONGEVITY?preponderant Than a EDT on my skin.

6.75/10
29th March, 2015
Genre: Woods

It takes either originality, natural smelling ingredients, or at least a modicum of care to make a “clean, fresh” men’s fragrance that doesn’t smell like a household cleaning product. The bad ones smell like liquid hand soap. The really bad ones smell like Diesel’s Only the Brave.

Only the Brave consists largely of two accords. One, a blend of aquatic notes and caustic, sinus-piercing woody ambers, is meant to smell “clean,” but actually smells like something I’d use to disinfect my toilet bowl. The other, a potent artificial “froot” flavor, no doubt meant to smell “fresh,” in fact smells like the solid air freshener in the nearest public men’s room. Together, they smell just plain bad.

The fruit/aquatic/pseudo-woods arrangement is potent, linear, and lasting, which I suppose is great if you like this sort of thing. The drydown reveals the abrasive woody amber in near isolation, relieved only by a trace of dish washing detergent white musk. The whole thing is a hackneyed idea, distinguished only by the stunning ineptitude of its execution. Wear it only around people you hate.
21st June, 2014
rbaker Show all reviews
Frty and generic scent, synthetic and on my skin really very dull. Mandarin lolly top nose lead into styrax and lots on benzoin. The assigment of a chemistry class project. The decent longevity of five hours is a drawback in this case.
20th March, 2014
I recently have begun dipping my toe into artisan/niche perfumery and I decided to sort through the designer frags in the cupboard to decide what I should keep or toss. i couldn’t recall why I haven’t worn this one in awhile. I tried it on and was immediately reminded. On my skin, it opened with a burst of citrus and then became treacly sweet….and then it just would not go away. I just kept on smelling it to the point where I wasn’t sure it was still there or that it might be a flashback from some sort of olfactory PTSD.

Fragrances are very individual and I have to admit that sweet smelling fragrances often don’t work well for my skin type. That’s probably the reason why for a long time I kept to some very safe citrus choices. Recently I have found that all sweet/floral scents do not behave in the same way. There is nothing in this scent (not the amber, violet or mandarin) that I haven’t encountered in other scents that agree with me very well. Consequently, I now try, whenever possible, to obtain a sample and try it on different body areas on more than one day before I buy….except incense fragrances, particularly Dzongkha. No way to go wrong with that one.
20th January, 2013

Add your review of Only The Brave

Shop for Only The Brave products online

Shop for Only The Brave at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Only The Brave

Member images of Only The Brave

There are no member images of Only The Brave yet. Why not be the first?

Features relating to Only The Brave