Eau de Gentiane Blanche (2009)
by Hermès

Eau de Gentiane Blanche information

Year of Launch2009

HouseHermès
PerfumerJean-Claude Ellena

About Eau de Gentiane Blanche

Eau de Gentiane Blanche is a shared / unisex perfume by Hermès. The scent was launched in 2009 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Jean-Claude Ellena

Reviews of Eau de Gentiane Blanche

A really pleasant, mossy entry in the Hermes line. I fell in love with this scent upon trying a spritz at the local Bloomingdale's. Not cloying, has a peppery woody quality that has few imitators. If you want to try an atypical fragrance and may already like the other Hermes scents, definitely give this one a try!
29th October, 2016
This is my current "go to" and in between headier scents perfume. It's also my universal solvent in the sense that if I've tried another perfume that's too floral or otherwise heavy and sweet for me, I'll spray this over it to tone it down. Some rescues and also some nice one-time scents have come my way by doing that. Also some errors. But out of respect to its maker and house I usually wear this one solo. I relish Eau de Gentiane Blanche's somewhat bitter dry greeness, its earthy undertones. Maybe it's the name "gentiane" that makes me feel when I wear it as if I've finished my walk up a mountain path and come to a clearing where I can sit down and just enjoy the mixed aromas of nature for a while. I might also wear this if I had to go to a party or some such occasion I didn't really want to be at. It carries a reminder of independence.
23rd October, 2016
The previous review is correct in their overall assessment that this is "simplistic", my paraphrase. But that doesn't mean that it isn't exciting. Not if what you're looking for is a simple, clean, fresh, pleasing cologne that isn't loud or boastful in how it comes across. Not every cologne has to be daring to be great.

There is a very subtle citrus to this, but if you "blink" you'll probably miss it. It's green, but not overly so. It's soft and light, great for a casual spring day.
05th April, 2015
It is simply dry, mossy grass. Nothing to get excited about.
01st October, 2014
Cool, austere, dank yet dry, powdery-dusty, vegetal, foggy, and maybe slightly smoky (but not warm); a greenness steeped in an old stone and dirt-floor cellar. I don't know gentian, but what I perceive here is a big dose of iris, mostly root. In this respect, my mind connected it to Eau d'Italie's wonderful Bois d'Ombrie. In the latter, the rhizomatic note is enhanced by other facets; here it far more front-and-center, sweetened only the tiniest bit by musk and something that strikes me as grapefruit pith. I don't really get incense from this at all, unless it is the faint, slight smokiness, which I would be equally attempted to attribute back to iris. Ultimately, this strikes me as gothic and aloof--for Heathcliff out on the moor. Some have called it depressing; I find it transporting. In all, a very cool and unconventional scent, appropriately presented in a sleek and minimal dark grey bottle. I don't know its concentration, but with 3-5 sprays, this out-performs some fragrances purporting to be EDT/EDP.
01st April, 2014
What I know about the gentian flower is that William Cullen Bryant wrote a poem about it… I don’t know what a gentian smells like. From testing this fragrance, I’m still not sure what the gentian smells like unless it smells like a combination of iris and dandelion. The floral / green note I get smells very much like the bitter smell from many a wild plant. The pyramid lists incense, but I do not smell any, just a more-or-less linear bitter green smell.

Eau de Gentiane Blanche is calming, natural, and minimalist, but I’m not sure it’s for me, at least when I think of Sisley’s Eau de Campagne, which is a much lusher version of a multiple-green concept… or more especially CdG’s Calamus, which is more minimal and delicate than Campagne, but Calamus centers itself around a natural rustic milky-green accord rather than a bitter accord.

I respect and enjoy Gentiane Blanche even though I’m not into minimalism. If I didn’t own Eau de Campagne and Calamus, I would pursue purchasing this – it’s an interesting and quality fragrance, and what it does, it does very well.

01st March, 2014

Add your review of Eau de Gentiane Blanche

Shop for Eau de Gentiane Blanche products online

Search Amazon for Eau de Gentiane Blanche

Member images of Eau de Gentiane Blanche

There are no member images of Eau de Gentiane Blanche yet. Why not be the first?