Sunday Cologne / Fantastic Man (2009)
by Byredo

Sunday Cologne / Fantastic Man information

Year of Launch2009

HouseByredo
PerfumerJerome Epinette

About Sunday Cologne / Fantastic Man

Sunday Cologne / Fantastic Man is a masculine fragrance by Byredo. The scent was launched in 2009 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Jerome Epinette

Sunday Cologne / Fantastic Man fragrance notes

Reviews of Sunday Cologne / Fantastic Man

Not to be turned off by its generic name, Sunday Cologne beats everything out of its way as soon as I got hit by its notes. The perfect cologne for me yet I have only work it once using a sample from Neiman Marcus. The comparison to Terre d’Hermes is evident yet Sunday Cologne is in an entirely different classification of its own (and because no perfume can touch my love and devotion to Monsieur Ellena). The bergamot is what I expected it to be in its top note and how this transformed seamlessly into the surprisingly less vetiver and calming Patchouli (and I hate patchouli). A rare 10/10 for me. I usually attach an experience or a snapshot of my day into the fragrance in describing it but for Sunday Cologne, I cant seem to think of a single experience or mood that reminds me firsthand of why I liked or why I relate to this scent. I guess, this is an entirely new experience and entirely new perfume for me to revolve my experiences around instead of the other way.
22nd November, 2016
An easygoing take on the spicy-fresh aromatic masculine cologne. Lacking the richness and dimensionality of all-natural blends it's well-blended (sparse?) enough for me not to be distracted by any particular note's shortcomings. I find traces of spiced vetiver reminding me somewhat of a milder Terre d'Hermes.

Pleasantly versatile to wear on a regular basis but calling it 'fantastic' is definitely a stretch too far. Right, Mr. Reed Richards?
26th July, 2016
Byredo Sunday Cologne is accurately named in that it's a take on the traditional cologne concept, but it's certainly a departure from the normal concept (usually involving neroli) and in EDP, is notably spicier and dirtier than most of its cologne-named kin from other houses.

The cardamom factors in a lot for me as far as the spicy/dirty concept, along with the fresh bergamot to start. The lavender more or less fills the floral freshness role that neroli would otherwise achieve in other colognes or freshies. So Sunday Cologne is both laundry fresh and dirty at the same time, which isn't a quandary for me but a charming duality. It settles into a mix of vetiver and oakmoss, an agreeable enough drydown.

It wins major points for creativity but loses some performance, which is average at best, especially for an EDP. Surely this is ideal for warm weather day use. I've not tried the EDC version on skin but perhaps it would better suit others. Personally, I lean toward the maximum concentration version in such cases.

At $150 for 50ml and $230 for 100ml, retail pricing is a bit steep so this was definitely a stretch for me but I'd recommend looking for deals for this one.

7 out of 10
10th July, 2016
Having just started to get into the Byredo fragrances, I find myself obsessed with Sunday Cologne. What is it about this scent that has me so captivated? It is light; complex even in it's lightness; seems true to the cologne genre; casual yet distinctively different from what's out there, and finally, excellent. It is almost immediately a skin scent, so I don't know if anyone but me would even notice it if I wear it. But this is a touch of genius and art. I detect mostly a citrus, lavender and vetiver mixture. I can't be too objective. You have to be crazy to spend this kind of money on a cologne which last about as long in fragrance terms as the life cycle of the mayfly. You have to be crazy to go for a fragrance that by basis analysis might be very similar to other much less expensive colognes out there. In the end you have to be crazy to buy this. I need to be committed.
24th June, 2015
mild thumbs up here.
Not a bad scent -- at times complex, intriguing-haunting, slightly aromatic. In turns floral, dusky, green-herbal. I thought there was tarragon and mint, perhaps that is the anise and lavender.Sometimes a bit sweet and tiresome in the DD but not problematic. Good longevity.
30th March, 2015
Citrus and woods, kind of like cedar, but not in a literal way. There's also a kitchen cabinet full of cooking spices - high-pitched pepper and ginger, as well as woody anise, with just a hint of animalic cumin for depth. Surrounding this, there's a pool of familiar chemical smells, most notably that green synthetic "marine" smell, as well as that ubiquitous metallic rubbing alcohol "woody amber", all wrapped up in a heady dose of iso e super smoke.

Given time, a leathery birch tar comes in, smartening up the base and keeping this from devolving into a stupid aquatic.

As for the Terre d'Hermes comparison, it's fairly apt, though TDH is abstract (there's not much of anything in it that smells like a "thing" - it smells more like a concept or and idea than a pile of ingredients) while Fantastic Man is grounded in recognizable spices and smells, so it has a different sort of appeal.

All in all, I quite enjoy the interplay of wood and smoke and spices, but that metal smell just irks me to the point where I can't give this a thumbs up.
13th May, 2014

Add your review of Sunday Cologne / Fantastic Man

Shop for Sunday Cologne / Fantastic Man products online

Search Amazon for Sunday Cologne / Fantastic Man

Member images of Sunday Cologne / Fantastic Man

There are no member images of Sunday Cologne / Fantastic Man yet. Why not be the first?