Bal d'Afrique (2009)

Year of Launch2009

HouseByredo
PerfumerJerome Epinette

About Bal d'Afrique

Bal d'Afrique is a feminine perfume by Byredo. The scent was launched in 2009 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Jerome Epinette

Bal d'Afrique fragrance notes

Reviews of Bal d'Afrique

Sweet, unfussy, middleweight fruity-floral; clearly of good quality, well put-together, original and definintely unisex, decent performance.

Bright and luscious opening of bergamot and blackcurrant - sweet, but not overpoweringly so, rich and mouth-wateringly juicy in texture. The violet-jasmine heart retains a citrus edge and dries down with a velvety musk to a gorgeous creamy wood and vetiver base, still finishing slightly sweet.

I found this fragrance to be just as much about texture as scent. At the risk of spewing purple nonsense, it feels somehow precise, but unfettered - simple, I guess, despite a relatively complex pyramid; it feels straightforward. Are Byredo Scandi? It feels Scandi. EDIT - turns out they kind of are, so I'll leave that there as it might make sense to someone!

I really like the composition - like a good piece of music, there's space in it for the notes to sing. It's the first Byredo I've experienced and I'm impressed by it. I've ordered a larger decant already - I'm pretty sure there'll be a FB of this in my cupboard before much longer.
03rd April, 2017 (last edited: 17th April, 2017)
Seated Woman In Violet Stockings - EGON SCHIELE
26th October, 2016
For the life of me, I can't see why this is labeled a warm weather option OR feminine. This is unisex in my opinion. Warm weather with this....better suited for the fall. The notes here are Bergamot,Lemon,Violet and Black amber with some Vetiver. That gives this a warm and toasty projection almost like a caramel apple. That sounds like something you'd enjoy in the fall to me.

As with any Byredo product- it's top notch. This isn't like what you'll find anywhere else. It's unique.

I could rant and rave, but in the end once you smell it you're going to get it. Case closed.
17th October, 2016
This is indeed a very nice scent and reminds me of Oliver Peoples,it shares a lot with Bal d’Afrique and some notes are amped up in Oliver Peoples so both are slightly different and like them both a lot.So if you like this one you will like Oliver Peoples for sure....
26th July, 2016
A soft almost creamy bergamot and floral musk. A textural hint of vetiver puts it in the same postcode as Original Vetiver. Though not quite as diffusive and distinctive as the Creed its persistence on skin is nevertheless commendable.
23rd July, 2016
I have absolutely no idea why this one is labeled Feminine.
I have maybe 75 bottles in my collection. This is the only one officially sanctioned to the fair gender. Out of the 75 bottles, maybe 20 smell decidedly more masculine than this.
Byredo claims that this is a vetiver scent....i'd say maybe a touch but not to the point of domination. They also point to the meeting point of Paris life in the 1920's and African culture. Sounds poetic...not sure what that would smell like.
To me this is a decidedly masculine floral with hints of musk and cedar.
Perfect Summer frag with solid longevity.
31st May, 2016

Add your review of Bal d'Afrique

Shop for Bal d'Afrique products online

Search Amazon for Bal d'Afrique

Member images of Bal d'Afrique

There are no member images of Bal d'Afrique yet. Why not be the first?