Bal d'Afrique (2009)

Based on 48 ratings

Bal d'Afrique Fragrance Notes

Bal d'Afrique information

Bal d'Afrique is a women's fragrance by Byredo. The scent was launched in 2009

Shop for Bal d'Afrique products online

Reviews of Bal d'Afrique

Showing 1 to 6 of 15 reviews.

Superlekker13's avatar

Wow. I went into Skins looking for yet another Citrus and ended up with this on a random try. Very fresh and fruity to start with, turns into a delicious cocktail-y scnet after half an hour or so.Very long-lasting, though sweet and fruity, I cannot help but get a lot of blackcurrant there. No blackcurrant in the frangrance components at all. Probably the Neroli? Not much to do with balls or Africa, but nice enough nevertheless to get out the VISA and spend 96 EURO on it.

21st August, 2014

KEM44's avatar

This was my initial review:
    This would be fabulous on a man (which I am not). It smells clean and expensive and interesting, unlike so many men's colognes imho. This my first encounter with Byredo, and while I've had a number of "you smell nice" comments since trying out this sample, every time I smell my wrist I think of a guy I knew in college (granted, he always smelled good).

The sillage is nice - not too loud, not too quiet. The longevity is ok, although I've been dabbling in CB I Hate Perfume, so I'm probably being generous here.

It's fruitier than I expected. It's like a manly pina colada from a really nice bar.

I would like to try more from this line, but this one is not for me.

Update:

I'm not sure what happened here, but I tried this again and I LOVE it! It looks like some other reviewers have had the same experience. The basenote of something I associate with men's cologne (particularly Grey Flannel) has vanished. If this fragrance was a mood, it would be *happy*! It's just so positive and delicious. I'm going to try one more sample but this might be a full bottle splurge for me.

04 March, 2014 (Last Edited: 18 March, 2014)

arinjunk's avatar

Addictive

It smells really unique. I kept smelling it over and over even after I sprayed it on 30 minutes before. I think the reason why it smells so good is because there's something about this fragrance that you can't put your finger on which leads you to constantly smell it. For me personally this is the best fragrance I've ever smelled. It doesn't smell synthetic or fake and it's really unique.

04 August, 2013

Justin Case's avatar

A deeper version of Pulp

This smells like a deeper version of Pulp. As if the perfumer wanted a calmer, woodier version than the blast of fruit that is Pulp. So basically this smells more interesting and complex, more versatile, less gourmand, and perhaps more masculine than Pulp. At the same time, it lacks some of the uniqueness you find in Pulp. This means that it will need to offer something in return for the high asking price since you will find similar smells for less. Unfortunately, it doesn't give you that compensation. Even the longevity is mediocre compared to the beast that Pulp is.

Pros: Versatile
    Cons: Not very unique and not worth the price

19 May, 2013

Amos Jolthead's avatar

Great unisex fragrance. There is a very nice balance going on here. BD opens with a very peaceful accord of florals and citrus. The citrus will drop off, to be replaced by more florals, but itís not overly feminine. Itís done very well. I get jasmine and violet at the heart of the fragrance which is countered by the cedar, vetiver and amber dry down. Balance is the key to this fragrance. It is blended almost perfectly, lasts a great amount of time, and the sillage is just right down the middle. Not overpowering nor nonexistent.

14 February, 2013

mahalo's avatar

I LOVE this scent...but it doesn't last. For something so expensive, it should last. I have a CREED fragrance which is insanely expensive...but they LAST so you feel you are getting your money's worth. And I love Bal D'Afrique but you have to spray a lot on clothes and hair for it to last longer and it just doesn't hold up like other fragrances. Which is a bummer...this is one of my favorite perfumes. Try a sample online for $5, totally worth it this scent is wonderful!

13 February, 2013

Add your review of Bal d'Afrique

Search for on eBay United States

(Shipping from Australia)
    Byredo Bal D'Afrique Eau De Parfum Spray 100ml/3.4oz
    • Time Left: 26 days
    (* converted from AUD 239.87) Ebay United States
    (Shipping from Hong Kong)