Oud 27 (2009)

HouseLe Labo
PerfumerVincent Schaller
Parent CompanyEstee Lauder Companies

About Oud 27

Oud 27 is a shared / unisex perfume by Le Labo. The scent was launched in 2009 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Vincent Schaller

Oud 27 fragrance notes

Reviews of Oud 27

Perhaps I wasn't expecting this much oud, but Le Labo Oud 27 is dirtier than I expected. It's too much oud, or something else, that isn't in balance. There are insufficient sweets, florals, citruses, etc. to bring this back to something I might enjoy. It feels more like a smelling oil to realize the extremity of oud than something I would actually wear for an extended period. Interesting education, but nothing I would consider wearing again, let alone buying. It's disappointing in that respect but perhaps they accomplished their goal in making this, as, while not the most popular fragrance they offer, this does still seem to have a good following. Try at your own risk, because it is still quite strong.

4 out of 10
02nd October, 2015
Not for everyone.

Oud (or rather oud like accord) sitting next to a sweet vetiver (no root, somewhat synthetic feeling).

That's it. That's the entire thing.

Oud and Vetiver. Neither of which are actually present in the composition but that is what you get. Clean and dirty side by side constantly tickling the nose.

Beautiful.
18th September, 2015
I went to London during Easter 2015 and among the few perfumers I wanted to visit Le Labo on Devonshire Street was one of them.

The location was really awesome and gave the feeling of an old-fashioned laboratory but among the three scents I purchased samples of - Santal, Patchouli and Oud - Oud 27 was not good IMHO at all.

Having previsouly sampled real Oud oil - I can recommend Arabian Oud on Oxford Street for this - I am at loss whether the Le Labo Oud 27 really has any Oud in the composition at all. The top-notes have some awfully artifical components in it (I can´t really identify what is it though) and honestly, that was as far I as came, since I scrubbed the scent of my skin with soap and water shortly after that (!).

Maybe the heart- and base-notes are awesome, but I wouldn´t know really...

For me there are many more Oud-based scents that you should consider instead, I am thinking about Acqua di Parma Colonia Intensa Oud, I am thinking about Terry de Gunzburg´s Terryfic Oud Extrême (although a little quirky and playful) and if you have funds to spare the Amber Aoud by Roja.

05th April, 2015
Newly felled logs left in a pile get rained on overnight. A cat that has eaten something it shouldn’t have comes by and voids its bowels. The following morning, the work of stripping the logs begins: bark and woodchips fly, sap flows, a cloud of damp and earthy wood scents hang in the air. Next they are sawn into planks and left in the golden sun to dry, before being brought indoors, where they ooze their inviting, new-minted odour, driving you back again and again to where they are stored. Their scent changes in shades all the time, deepening, getting more and more civilized, picking up traces of honeyed floor wax, but keeping the rush of fresh sawdust about it.
This is Oud 27 for me – the wood is mainly an inviting sappy, sweet cedar which gains sandal accents over time as the aroma profile ‘dries out’. The oud could be the faecal emanation at the start (soon gone), or it could be the peppery dryness that lingers over the whole, but it’s not the focal point, in fact it seems not to be the point at all. As a straight up woody, this is a strong offering.
02nd April, 2015
A fun musky incense rose oud with a shock opening. I bought a small bottle of this that I went through about 1/4 of before giving it away to a friend that liked it. At the end it began to feel dated. How about that--oud started to feel so dated in 2015 that I didn't want to wear it, despite that I have never smelled an oud fragrance on a living person besides my sister, since no one wears anything at all. Still, oud and Iso E cedar have become the ubiquitous "last decade" fragrances.
25th February, 2015
This one’s pure fun to me. It’s the most synthetic, rubbery, spacey oud on the market, and I kind of love that about it. It has almost no connection to actual oud (it's clearly Givaudan's Black Agar blend), and it’s like marinating in saffron and damascone beta. The overall result is a jammy, berry-like latex with some hardcore civet thrown in. It takes the whole Western wimpy "oud" concept and Westernizes it further with hilarious results.

It’s probably the most chemical smelling scent Le Labo has released, but I actually think that’s part of its weirdo charm. It’s also not something that you could wear on a regular basis—at least I couldn’t—as it’s strong and cloying at first. Upfront, you get honeyed damascone berries and civet, then the “oud” creeps in with “saffron” by its side, and from that point on the scent is basically latex gloves and skeezy florals. It’s sickly at first, but it sorts itself out a bit after a few minutes. The base seems to be a pedestrian vetiver/cedar combo, but I found that much of the scent fizzles out before it really gets to that point anyway.

If someone were shopping for ouds, I’d keep them far away from this one. But if that person needed a great scent for a trip to the circus, I think Oud 27 would be ideal. It’s fun, blaring, and super weird.
13th January, 2015

Add your review of Oud 27

Shop for Oud 27 products online

Shop for Oud 27 at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Oud 27

Member images of Oud 27

There are no member images of Oud 27 yet. Why not be the first?

Features relating to Oud 27