Tabac Aurea (2009)

Year of Launch2009

HouseSonoma Scent Studio
PerfumerLaurie Erickson

About Tabac Aurea

Tabac Aurea is a shared / unisex perfume by Sonoma Scent Studio. The scent was launched in 2009 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Laurie Erickson

Reviews of Tabac Aurea

I know that there are no booze notes listed but the opening of this scent smells like fresh / wet tobacco and the sort of boozy scent that skin breathes out after a night of drinking whiskey. It’s not necessarily a bad smell - I think it replicates the scent of tobacco much more realistically than other, sweeter tobacco blends.

I found the opening pungent but interesting - I was a little worried that I smelled too hungover for my morning class today. The drydown is lovely - more of a dry, woody tobacco with a smooth base of sandalwood and warm ambery leathery notes that all blend together. Luckily the vanilla / amber / musk doesn’t go sweet on my skin, and the labdanum doesn’t make it go too powdery leathery. I thought this would be more of a fall scent but it’s an unusually warm and humid day in October and the sandalwood / tobacco drydown is blooming on my skin!

Like many scents from Sonoma, this is lovely and well crafted but at times a touch too photorealistic to be easily wearable. I plan on wearing it, though perhaps only venturing out after the boozy stage has died down a touch.

I gave an extra sample pip to a classmate who loves the smell of her grandfather’s old tobacco pipe - she loved it! Here’s to scent memories and the scents that call them back! :)
12th October, 2017
Quartz Show all reviews
I'll have to be the lone dissenter at this point. This must have the same base as Winter Woods because it smells just like it to me. It possesses the same harsh, metallic, screechy, cold, synthetic vibe. Plus the sillage and projection are totally overwhelming. Plus it lasts forever which is a bad thing for me. But, everyone has different likes/dislikes. This one simply doesn't work for me at all.
18th March, 2016
vadim Show all reviews
Russian Federation
To my nose, the initial tobacco note is that of unscented roll-your-own pale tobacco, acquiring a more aromatic, pipe-tobacco quality as the scent progresses. The accord is very nice if a tad too smooth - I find it not as masculine as the tobacco in, say, Aramis's Havana, C&S's Cuba or Davidoff's Zino. Other prominent notes are leather and a heavyish sandalwood/amber combo which the folks at Sonoma seem to have an affinity for. All notes blend well into a full-bodied and well-done scent, but the drydown is perhaps a bit too heavy and too close to the skin. I wouldn't mind more tobacco in the drydown. Oddly, during the first 5 minutes Tabac Aurea comes across as a mix of Annick Goutal's Duel and Sables, with some of the citrus replaced by tobacco.
14th January, 2016
This stuff is great! It's got that pipe tobacco smell made famous by Tobacco Vanille, but it handles it quite differently. That pipe tobacco smell is actually a clever mix of cedar, honey, and chamomile - Tabac Aurea plays up the woody aspect instead of the sweet aspect that most scents of this type tend to exaggerate. As such, it's like the smell of an old-school pipe tobacco store mixed with burnished woods, a touch of smoky pine tar leather, some boozy rum, and incense. It works really well and is perfect for people who like that tobacco smell but don't like gourmands.

Realistically, this sits comfortably in the same family as Tobacco Vanille, Ambre Narguille, and Back To Black. It's very much worth noting that all of those sell for around $300, while you can get a small bottle of Tabac Aurea for about $40. I know there are people who peruse these reviews looking for little known inexpensive scents that smell like very costly, top-notch perfumes - this is very much one of those. Well worth checking out!
17th October, 2015
I love tobacco notes but wearability is sometimes an issue. I have smelled a good number and own only Diptyque Volutes EDT. Tabac Surea, however, outshines the others for me. It is a smooth, intense honey/ambered tobacco leaf. I get little to no smokiness and smells like a good quality slightly cherried unlit pipe tobacco ala Nat Sherman's. This is my ultimate comfort scent and I find myself reaching for it often. More of a cool weather scent but since I like it so much I'd probably try it on warmer evenings as well. Will probably end up with a full bottle at some point.
26th April, 2015 (last edited: 29th April, 2015)
Having recently gotten more into tobacco scents, the forum here at basenotes led me this way. My closest comparison here is Tobacco Oud by TF. While I enjoy Tobacco Oud, to me it is more of a novelty fragrance; It's not something I find wearable based on my tastes. I came to Tabac Aurea while looking for something similar to Tobacco Vanille. If you are looking for a Tobacco Vanille or Tobacco Oud substitute, look elsewhere. If you like the two but can't decide, read on.

Tabac Aurea takes the dry, authentic tobacco of Tobacco Oud and creates a much more wearable scent. It's a well-blended fragrance that never feels dominated by any one note, unlike Tobacco Oud. Tobacco is obviously at the forefront, but it is well-blended by some wood a la Tom Ford Extreme (I think cedar, but maybe sandalwood too?), leather, and the slightest bit of incense-y sweetness. Really well-rounded and can probably be appreciated by people that don't like tobacco fragrances.

Sonoma has chosen to give up gourmand deliciousness in favor of mystery and sexiness. Is it better than Tobacco Vanille and Tobacco Oud? Tough to say, but it does seem to bring the two together in a package that highlights some of what works in each of those fragrances.
16th March, 2015

Add your review of Tabac Aurea

Shop for Tabac Aurea products online

Search Amazon for Tabac Aurea

Member images of Tabac Aurea

There are no member images of Tabac Aurea yet. Why not be the first?